Security News Yahoo preparing to confirm massive data breach, affecting 200 million accounts

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yahoo is now getting itself ready to confirm to the public a massive data breach that happened back in 2012, according to a report by Recode.

It was reported back in August that the internet company suffered a data leak which led to the sale of 200 million Yahoo accounts on the dark web. Details that were reportedly leaked include usernames, passwords, birth dates, and other email addresses.

Recode sources were not exactly sure about the extent of the breach, but they believe that it is "widespread and serious."

The hacker, who was using a moniker 'Peace,' was selling people's account credentials for three Bitcoins, or equal to almost $2000 today. Back then, Yahoo only stated that it was aware of the claim, but had not yet confirmed anything about it. It also did not tell its users to change their passwords. Sources of Recode indicate that doing any sort of announcement today makes it "too little, too late" for it customers.

The matter comes just months before Yahoo officially sells itself to Verizon for $4.83 billion. Marissa Mayer headed the company roughly four years ago, in an attempt to turn the company around as it was facing a decline. However, the company's collapse persisted, which then eventually led to the sale to Verizon Communications.

At this point, we advise our readers who are not only holders of Yahoo accounts, but of other services as well, to use strong and unique passwords. While issues like this cannot be controlled by the victim, it still pays to be always ready for these types of attacks.

Source: Recode via Business Insider

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Yahoo is now getting itself ready to confirm to the public a massive data breach that happened back in 2012
Hello Yahoo Employees, I am your doctor. Now I have some good news and bad news. The good news is that you have a disease that would kill you in twenty years. The bad news is, for the same reasons as you have for withholding information from us, I withheld it for twenty years. Nothing personal if I do the same things that you guys do, right?

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Same here, 500 million

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/22/yahoo_500m_email_accounts_hacked/

Interesting will be to know how they got in...if yahoo didn't protect user data "enough"...they should be hold responsible and be fined.
Hopefully other mail provider took/ at least now are taking additional security measures to protect their users...but I doubt other mail providers are better...
If memory serves, google, mail.ru also got hacked ...the real question is, do they get get hacked because the bad guys are " too strong"or because they didn't take security seriously enough?

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Yahoo's lack of good security has been an issue for many years,
and is no secret.
They have an atrocious track record so I don't
feel sorry for those affected. It's like swimming with the sharks
and being surprised when you get bitten, pfff :rolleyes:
Thanks for the share.

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I don't trust yahoo, google, etc
A lot of cie can be hacked / has already been hacked / are spying us

For all my free accounts :
- I only use the e-mail part
- like other free e-mail account I use => 0 real info on me
- All mails are deleted after been automatically transferred to a local app
- password regularly modified (real strong pw)

For "real" / important purpose, I use another e-mail account and not a google / yahoo one

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
http://news.softpedia.com/news/yaho...records-on-state-sponsored-actor-508552.shtml

Here is an "Oops forgot to tell you"

http://www.neowin.net/news/verizon-...ast-two-days-long-after-48bn-acquisition-deal

Yahoo said said:
Thanks for the $4.8 billion and we forgot to mention that we compromised 500 million users accounts :oops:
Verizon said said:
Yahoo said said:
Good news is somebody was nice enough to purchase them on the dark web
Verizon said said:
Yahoo said said:
By the way is that check in the mail yet?
Verizon said said:
$#!*&^ $#!@~!^^& (*&^%$%*( :mad:

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
http://news.softpedia.com/news/yaho...records-on-state-sponsored-actor-508552.shtml

Here is an "Oops forgot to tell you"

http://www.neowin.net/news/verizon-...ast-two-days-long-after-48bn-acquisition-deal

"By the way thanks for the $4.8 billion and we forgot to mention that we compromised 500 million users"

Well if' it's true, then very likely Verizon is going to pull out as I believe it's already a breach of contract i guess. Lets see who like to see Yahoo dissappear (file for bankruptcy)? :rolleyes:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now you see why I said what I said above ?
And anyone who follows the news over the years should be aware of Yahoo's
track record, it's not good to say the least.
Verizon obviously did not do very good homework so that's on them, no matter
weather they can back out or not.
Thanks for the share Exterminator.
screenshot_16.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.