Yahoo restricts access to your mail if an ad-blocker is installed, states it was just a test

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yahoo is reportedly prohibiting users from accessing its email service if a browser is installed with ad-blocker software.

First noticed by Digiday on an Adblock Plus forum, a user trying to sign on into his Yahoo Mail account via Google Chrome one morning was greeted with what seemed to be a message stating that the user's mail cannot be displayed due to ad-blocking software being present. The message, shown above, is asking the user to disable the program so it can finally proceed with displaying the user's email.

The Yahoo Mail URL displays a "reason=ADBLK_TRAP" message, making it less like an isolated case. Many others in the forum have experienced the same issue, some providing temporary workarounds to keep using the service without sacrificing the ad-block program.

Digiday notes the growing number of websites that are locking users out from accessing their content if they have an ad-blocker program installed. Some websites, if not completely blocking users, place notices around the website asking for the disabling of ad-blocker programs installed.
“They’re likely testing this particular approach, banning ad blocker users, on their email service because they know their users will be forced to disable their ad blocker if they want to check their emails within their web browser,” said Tom Yeomans, CEO of Yavli, a company that creates technology that combats ad-blocker software, in an interview with Digiday. “Their users’ email account content are unique to them, so it’s different from news content where they can visit a competing website to get a same or similar experience.”

Back in September, a similar issue was recorded, regarding YouTube's act of making users watch full-length ads if an ad-blocker was installed. However, it was later found to be a bug in the system. While this seemed to be the case, the response we got from our readers just proves how important ad-blocking software is to them.

Commenting on the issue, Yahoo has recently stated that the blocking issue was just a test in an effort to develop "new product experiences", therefore, only some could experience being locked out of their mail.

Source: Digiday via Engadget | Image via Portnoyd on Adblock Plus

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
People still use Yahoo email? If I would have encountered this, I would immediately find another email provider...

I ditch Yahoo Mail long time ago when I heard of Gmail beta started. Has never looked back (except hotmail which is my very first 2MB if I rmb) :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Another article on the topic

Yahoo Mail Bans AdBlock Users
Yahoo Mail Bans AdBlock Users

I still have a couple Yahoo accounts along with numerous Gmail and a couple Outlook.
I use one Yahoo for junk and the other I have had for a very long time,I have never had any problems with Yahoo email and have not experienced any problems from this new revelation.I do not use ABD however.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Yahoo Mail user here:D
So far i am happy with it ;)

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Could happen to many other sites in the future as well, seeing vendors finding way to make people turn off their adblocker :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
This clearly tells that Yahoo is scare loss millions of revenues to their advertisement, which why Adblocker blocked notification is enforced.

That move is clearly acceptable if its a PTC site (Pay to click) cause you are dealing to be paid from clicking the advertisement.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.