Yes, there's malware that infects your router to keep you safe

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LabZero

Thread author
Well, this is a new one -- a piece of malware has been discovered which infects routers, but bolsters their protection against other viruses and nastiness, rather than doing anything bad.

Linux.Wifatch apparently improves the security of routers, many of which are poorly configured and are increasingly targets for malware authors.

Symantec spotted the virus, and wrote a detailed blog post on exactly what it gets up to in terms of strengthening routers and also IoT devices (the Internet of Things is set to become the next security nightmare as it explodes going forward).

According to the security firm, Wifatch is a fairly sophisticated virus which connects to a peer-to-peer network, except instead of doing anything malicious, it’s used to distribute updates to block other threats.

Symantec said it has been observing Wifatch for months now, and has "yet to observe any malicious actions being carried out through it".

As well as trying to clean up common malware infections, Wifatch also contains messages to device owners urging them that they need to update firmware or change default passwords.

However, despite the fact that this particular virus is apparently a good guy, it’s still code that infects a router (or IoT device) without permission, and has a number of built-in backdoors which could be used to carry out malicious actions, Symantec observes.

There’s also the possibility that future versions could be changed and warped to do bad things…

At any rate, you can remove the Wifatch malware simply by resetting the infected device. Symantec notes: "However, devices may become infected again over time. If possible, users are advised to keep their device’s software and firmware up to date and to change any default passwords that may be in use"

And if users do so, Wifatch will have again done them a big favor...

LeeAnn

Oct 6, 2015
trying to find out how Malware is stopping me to get back on Facebookn I try to log In It Is saying that my computer Is being affected by malware but I can get on the Internet but not Facebooko not know what to do about this

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
trying to find out how Malware is stopping me to get back on Facebookn I try to log In It Is saying that my computer Is being affected by malware but I can get on the Internet but not Facebooko not know what to do about this
If you think you are infected post your problem here for assistance Malware Removal Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.