You know your AV is in trouble when you see failed next to the video title.

W

Wave

Thread author
You should take all video reviews with a grain of salt, even the "professional" testing companies... No security product is going to detect all malware, there will always be a sample out there capable of bypassing the protection mechanisms that the software will provide.

The best protection you can ever have is yourself; if you apply good decisions and are careful then you will stay safe. ;)

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I wonder how many 'passes' he comes across and doesn't post. I'm sure overall, he had many 'passed' test, but unfortunately we are only seeing the minority.

Idk. He could post both passes and fails. Props to him for the work involved though. Thanks for the post.

R

Rodney74

Thread author
I wonder how many 'passes' he comes across and doesn't post. I'm sure overall, he had many 'passed' test, but unfortunately we are only seeing the minority.

Idk. He could post both passes and fails. Props to him for the work involved though. Thanks for the post.

Well just go to his channel without the search and many pass the test, including "NORTON".

Thread author
So I look at several YouTube testing channels...

But noticed this guy is nice enough to put failed next to the AV that he is testing.

So I searched his channel to see how many failed, and this is what came up in the search results..WOW!

GizVN

In the videos, pay attention to which version of each soft is being tested.

For example, 2016 Kaspersky does not stop Cerber, but 2017 does.

Ransomware has been in the wild for years, but only with the more recent versions have security soft vendors implemented effective behavioral detections.

Once ransomware malc0ders develop new techniques, these softs will once again not be able to stop the ransomware, and the vendors will have to play their never-ending game of "Catch-up."

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
What do you have against norton? It's a great product and have good results in our malware hub too!
Norton is alright but there are in my opinion better companies & AVs to choose from - I would pick Avast, Kaspersky,Bitdefender & Emsisoft over Norton. I feel as though their GUI should be updated a bit - it feels a bit clunky but that's just me :)

In protection & performance yes Norton is pretty good. I have reviewed the program but I haven't edited the video - I may have to re-record it too since I did that test over a month ago....

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Norton is alright but there are in my opinion better companies & AVs to choose from - I would pick Avast, Kaspersky,Bitdefender & Emsisoft over Norton. I feel as though their GUI should be updated a bit - it feels a bit clunky but that's just me :)

In protection & performance yes Norton is pretty good. I have reviewed the program but I haven't edited the video - I may have to re-record it too since I did that test over a month ago....
I'm using Norton Security Premium now and I can assure you that hardly a malware can survive.
Sure it is possible to say that other alternatives exist but it is relative enough to say that they are better than Norton.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Norton can't shake off its horrendous reputation from around 2004. Current versions are more reliable and far better at protection. Norton's cloud and SONAR are quite powerful.
Download insight is really good also.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Isn't their INSIGHT sort of stand alone cloud system?

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Downlaod insight blocks unknown files, prompting the user for action (the recommended is "remove this file from the computer). Then, since Norton has AUTO-SUD (all files scanned with unknown reputation are submitted), the file will be submitted to Symantec labs

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
First of all, Cerber and other nasty ransomware are failed to detect by majority of AV since the techniques and implementation on that stage are not sufficient.

So signatures or even behavior protection were easily bypass.

The more mistakes happened, then the more improvements will be given.

Reactions: mal1
R

Rodney74

Thread author
What do you have against norton? It's a great product and have good results in our malware hub too!

I think we are having a comprehension problem... Please notice I said "Many pass the test including Norton"...That is a possitive comment, which means I have nothing against Norton...You understand what I'm saying RIGHT?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm not afraid because they are not usually reviewed using my current app settings. Even if there is a bypass, it should bypass voodooshield Ai and VT also

if it penetrates all of my layers, OK maybe I would start worrying but 50-50 because I absolutely have no access to 0-day malwares

R

Rodney74

Thread author
I'm not afraid because they are not usually reviewed using my current app settings. Even if there is a bypass, it should bypass voodooshield Ai and VT also

if it penetrates all of my layers, OK maybe I would start worrying but 50-50 because I absolutely have no access to 0-day malwares

That's a lot of layers...But just like winter, got to put on layers

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
When you really come across some malware in the wild for a long time I did not. Maximum I came across in the email but everything open in the sandbox .-) And installs only the certified products and it once again for 100 let.-) common sense 2017 + sandbox + UAC (max) + Tinywall + virustotal uploader + hybrid-analysis + ublocker + open DNS + hardware firewall cisco. I do not remember where I got infected and do not use it in but sometimes scanning malwarebyte + + killswitch Squire portable.
AV file today evoke a feeling of carelessness, it is my opinion .-)

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.