You promote Chrome OS, but how does it compare to Windows 10 / macOS for daily use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've seen a few times where Chrome OS is pushed in certain topics, but there's no justified reasons as to why it's better than Windows 10, other than it's less at risk to malware X or vulnerability Y.

To those who promote Chrome OS, do you use it as your daily driver?
What are the other potential benefits of using Chrome OS?
What would you say to users who want to avoid Google-related products? And what's the next best alternate to Chrome OS?
What hardware would you recommend; price range, running costs etc?

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
Hi,
i actually don't use a Chromebook and i don't want to buy one.
Why ? Because there is only a small set of applications, a lot of them are in the cloud, so you need an internet connexion to use it. You can't install manually applications on it (like .exe on windows or even binaries on linux).
I think it doesn't enter in my needs (for exemple photo editing, games, Audio Edition, developement...).

The computer which run this OS are light and don't cost a lot of money, it's good for someone who uses Google's environnement.
And what's the next best alternate to Chrome OS? I think a good alternative to Chrome OS could be a cheap laptop with linux. ChromeOS is for internet surfing and using office suite mainly so linux can do the job very well.
I can recommand Windows 10 S too.

I've seen a few times where Chrome OS is pushed in certain topics, but there's no justified reasons as to why it's better than Windows 10, other than it's less at risk to malware X or vulnerability Y.

To those who promote Chrome OS, do you use it as your daily driver?
What would you say to users who want to avoid Google-related products? And what's the next best alternate to Chrome OS?
What hardware would you recommend; price range, running costs etc?

Transparency: I do not own a Chromebook. I have tinkered with them. And from tinkering with them I can state that a Chromebook will reliably provide three things:

1. All browser-based functionality
2. All cloud-based functionality
3. Local storage functionality

For the Average Joe user the whole justification is security. And it just isn't risk to malware X and vulnerability Y. To get the most out of Windows 10 security the Average Joe user has way too much of a burden because of the way it is designed. They're much better off with Chromebook.

As far as the rest of Windows 10, most people don't need it because they don't use it. Most people still predominantly use a browser and the occasional text editor. So on that basis alone, Chromebook meets the needs of the vast majority of Average Joe users.

Of course once Chromebook passes the threshold of popularity then the apparent Chrome OS "immunity" to malware and vulnerabilities will be no more. The malc0de vultures will descend upon it like fresh carrion and it too expose its weaknesses and will be infested with malware and exploits.

As far as hardware the options are limited. $1,800+ Pixelbook is a ripoff of gargantuan proportions as far I am concerned. It gets good reviews but I'm sorry, no dice at that price. I am not a fan of sub-14 inch laptops because I think the screen size becomes unusable for meaningful serious work any smaller than 14 inch. There's only a single 15.6 inch model available.

I always thought Chromebook was always meant to be cheap. I don't know where Google is coming from with their Pixelbook.

The guy to ask about Chromebook hardware is @ForgottenSeer 58943.

The hype about Google and privacy is overblown. It is no worse than Microsoft products.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
Thanks for your input on this topic.

What are your thoughts on Apple's iPad running iOS as a laptop replacement?
Hi, i think a tablet isn't like a computer, office suites that are on Android or iOS hasn't go any functions as the computer one (for exemple a formula editor).
File management is very complicated on tablet (this is my opinion) even with a good file explorer.
Tablet is good for using internet browser, using some apps but for more specific tasks it can lack of options.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I installed ChromeOS only once. What I was most excited and enthusiastic was the unfamiliar installation process.
ChromeOS thinks that ChromeOS is suitable for users who frequently browse the web.
However, powerful competing products are on widely distributed hardware and there are many users accustomed to it, so it is difficult to distribute widely.

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
I installed ChromeOS only once. What I was most excited and enthusiastic was the unfamiliar installation process.
ChromeOS thinks that ChromeOS is suitable for users who frequently browse the web.
However, powerful competing products are on widely distributed hardware and there are many users accustomed to it, so it is difficult to distribute widely.
You installed chrome OS on a random computer or on a Chromebook ? If it's on a random computer, is it possible to know who you do it ? I wanted to try this OS but i never found how to install it...

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted member 65228

That might have something to do with the fact that ChromeOS is designed for people who frequently and only really need to browse the web?

This is why the threat surface on a Chromebook is significantly reduced. The threat surface is reduced by chopping off usability.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
You installed chrome OS on a random computer or on a Chromebook ? If it's on a random computer, is it possible to know who you do it ? I wanted to try this OS but i never found how to install it...

I installed it on my friend's notebook PC where Windows was in 2 years ago. I installed it while checking the information online so I do not remember the detailed process. First I downloaded ChromeOS to USB memory and started from there. That is a command ... process.
I think that it is easy for users accustomed to Linux.;)

TheSuperGeek

Level 2
Verified
Jan 6, 2017
I installed it on my friend's notebook PC where Windows was in 2 years ago. I installed it while checking the information online so I do not remember the detailed process. First I downloaded ChromeOS to USB memory and started from there. That is a command ... process.
I think that it is easy for users accustomed to Linux.;)
A command line install don't scares me at all, i use linux a lot. But i have some problem to find the USB image...

Reactions: Weebarra

That might have something to do with the fact that ChromeOS is designed for people who frequently and only really need to browse the web?

This is why the threat surface on a Chromebook is significantly reduced. The threat surface is reduced by chopping off usability.

The vast majority of computer users still just use only a browser and the occasional office productivity program. They are not like us on the forums. Therefore, Windows is overkill for a lot of people. They don't need a general OS.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
The vast majority of computer users still just use only a browser and the occasional office productivity program. They are not like us on the forums. Therefore, Windows is overkill for a lot of people. They don't need a general OS.

Unfortunately, many users who do not require a general operating system do not understand the existence of ChromeOS.
Before I met ChromeOS, I started interacting with a fulfilling partner such as Android and iOS.
ChromeOS is a wonderful lovely person, but lacks a strong reason to change from a partner who is currently dating.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I've converted the entire home to Chromebook except for 4 gaming rigs that require Windows. I've liquidated nearly a dozen electronic devices ranging from tablets, notebooks to laptops and moved to Chromebook exclusively.

So far the results have been phenomenal! Not a single security concern as come up. Once a month I hit Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R keys to cause an immediate Powerwash and in 15 seconds each Chromebook is back to factory refreshed state. (equivalent of Windows format+reinstall). Once a month is overkill since nothing will infect these, but it's the ultimate in quick privacy/refresh that can't be beat. Not having to play security theater with them is PRICELESS.. Nothing else to buy. Nothing else to bloat them up. Nothing to increase threat surface.

As for Telemetry, it's incredibly small if you UNCHECK 'Help Google with this OS'. I've wiresharked it. I've placed it behind an enterprise SIEM. It's an incredibly quiet operating system rivaled only by the most private Linux Distros. Everyone in the home is very happy with them. Everyone can do everything they need to do. I was 'concerned' about limitations, but to be honest those limitations are trivial with the current ChromeOS incarnations. ChromeOS is immune to Meltdown and Spectre, and was never vulnerable if you chose a processor that I did.

Having a virtually unlimited budget, I tested 8 different Chromebooks and chose the following;

Acer Chromebook R13 CB5-312T-K0YK Convertible Review

My primary requirements were - 13" or larger screen. Touch Screen. 2 in 1 Convertible, 4GB Ram or higher, NON-INTEL Chipset, 32GB Storage or higher, 1080P, and MINIMUM of USB-C+USB 3.0 for backward compability. The final requirement was either an OLED or IPS Glossy Screen. This literally was exactly what I was looking for so I bought a case of them and couldn't be happier. Boot time from off is 3.1 seconds. Powerwash/Format is 15 seconds. I've squeezed 17 hours of continuous use out of the battery. Standby battery life is 2 months. 2x2MIMO means I can put 350Mbps through it's wireless.

In my view, it's perfect. I have no second thoughts about the migration to it. I've found a way to do everything I want to do on it with total ease. I know it's essentially unhackable and uncompromisable as long as I don't screw up and install a bad extension or cheap Android App.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.