You steal music I lock your pc [Ransomware]

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I suspected this had to be very remotely rare or a fake.

I contacted Microsoft Protection Center which has one of the largest malware databases world wide which includes partnerships with most other respectful AV vendors and they said that they had not had one single reported infection of this malware or they have not found any samples. As far as they are concern, this malware doesn't exists.

Like I said most modern BIOS have features will block most types of malicious hacking. There has been reported malware that can infect the BIOS but according to Microsoft they only tend to target large businesses and are usually not wide spread because the chance of a home user actually getting infected with a malware that effects their BIOS is very unlikely.

Thanks.:D

Bubbles

Verified
Jul 11, 2013
I was recently hit by this kind of malware. It locked up the screen making sys restore impossible, even on a reboot. It then locked me out of safe mode and removed the config file.

How can you reflash bios on a system that won't boot into any working mode?

Haven't tried using an external device yet as I'm not sure if it would also be infected and carry it.

Very nasty indeed!

Very happy to hear any fixes you may have.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Hi Bubbles, this virus was a hoax, but it sounds like you've been hit with ransomware head over to here for help https://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance-for-windows.10/

Bubbles

Verified
Jul 11, 2013
Hi ZeroDay, I actually posted there before here. Title is "Moneypak lockout won't allow boot or safe mode"

No replies so far though.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.