Your Equifax Settlement $125 isn’t Coming, but Banks get their $5.5M

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Back in 2017, Equifax infamously suffered a data breach that exposed devastating levels of personal and financial information of about 147 million Americans. Its punishment was a $575 million settlement with the Federal Trade Commission and a pinkie promise to go forth and sin no more. Individual consumers who were wronged were supposed to be able to claim $125 each from the settlement—until, that is, the FTC and Equifax remembered the wronged were still 144 million strong and the settlement fund didn't have enough cash. Even so, though, individuals should be getting something—so where is it?

Equifax is indeed paying out right now—but not to you. Instead, the company has finally agreed to pay the banks (PDF) for the inconvenience of having to cancel and reissue millions of credit and debit cards, The Register points out. That agreement provides $5.5 million to "all financial institutions in the United States" that issued a Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express card that was identified in the breach, except for banks that explicitly request to be excluded from the class. Equifax also promises to spend $25 million on strengthening its data security and will pay the administrative and legal costs for the banks involved in the settlement.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
An update- after these articles came out I decided to take part in the class action as I was among those that were compromised (God alone knows how). Just received my compensation from the Court- a check for $5.21.

Now I can retire!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.