Your Firefox extensions are all disabled? That's a bug!

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Some Firefox users started to notice that installed browser extensions were all disabled in the web browser suddenly. Extensions would display "could not be verified for use in Firefox and has been disabled" messages in the add-ons manager of the browser. Firefox would display "One or more installed add-ons cannot be verified and have been disabled" at the top as a notification next to that.

Affected extensions include LastPass, Ghostery, Download Manager (S3), Dark Mode, Honey, uBlock Origin, Greasemonkey, NoScript, and others.

Update: Mozilla started to roll out a fix for Release, Beta, and Nightly versions of Firefox. The fix uses Mozilla Studies, and you need to make sure that this is enabled to get it. Mozilla notes that you may disable Studies again after the fix is applied and add-ons have been re-enabled. You need to make sure that "Allow Firefox to install and run studies" is checked on about: preferences#privacy. End

Only options provided were to find a replacement and to remove the extension in question; this left affected users puzzled. Was this some kind of preemptive strike against policy violation extensions? Mozilla did announce that it would enforce policies more strictly.

The answer is no. Turns out, the issue is caused by a bug. If you read carefully, you notice that verification is the issue.
A new thread on Bugzilla suggests that this has something to do with extension signing.

firefox-add-ons-disabled.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
They have implemented a workaround:
Update: Mozilla is now rolling out a fix for the issue affecting add-ons to release, beta, and nightly users on desktop and should automatically be applied to Firefox in the next few hours. However, it relies upon remaining opted into "Studies" found in the Firefox preferences under Privacy & Security> FireFox Data Collection and Use and making sure that Allow Firefox to install and run studies is enabled in addition to Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla. These options can be disabled after the fix has been applied.

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013

"Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), Firefox Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will allow you to override the setting to enforce the extension signing requirement, by changing the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). There are also special unbranded versions of Firefox that allow this override. See the MozillaWiki article, Add-ons/Extension Signing for more information. "

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
No issues here but I also only use the stable version.

Edit: Suddenly it became an issue even for me. :eek:

The issue can only be resolved on Mozilla's end. The organization needs to renew the certificate or create a new one to resolve the issue.
Users should not remove affected extensions from their installations; the issue will resolve itself once Mozilla fixes it.

Last edited:

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
"Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR), Firefox Developer Edition and Nightly versions of Firefox will allow you to override the setting to enforce the extension signing requirement, by changing the preference xpinstall.signatures.required to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). There are also special unbranded versions of Firefox that allow this override. See the MozillaWiki article, Add-ons/Extension Signing for more information. "
I had xpinstall.signatures.required set to false for years and still my add-ons was disabled today, I had to load them with about:debugging

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Just opened FF and I'm greeted with WTF addon bug. I disabled xpi signatures like @TairikuOkami and ghacks.net suggested.
Mozilla complains, that people should not use chromium based browsers only, but their own seem to lack the quality lately. What a coincidence. :unsure:

Its a Google Moment. Remember the days when Pixel made fun of missing headphone jack on iphone and next year they ditched 3.5mm jack in favor of USBC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.