Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mostly everyone runs their browser with an Ad-Blocker, but how many actually find Youtube Ads annoying?

I've included a poll, but vote on if you have experienced Ads on Youtube to be annoying or not. Other options are included if you have your own reasons.

I recently did add Youtube.com to the white-list / exclusions of my AdBlock extension and I haven't found any annoying Ads. Here's what I've thought of the different types of Ads:

- Display Ads can be easily dismissed as they're not placed within or around the video itself. May appear on the side or below the video.
- Overlay Ads appear a few seconds into the video and can be closed. They re-appear after the video has finished, but by that time you've either gone to your next video, closed the tab, or reading the comments sections.
- TrueView Ads must be viewed for the first 5 seconds, then can be skipped. Some are interesting and are actual videos hosted on the site.

The final one are the Non-Skippable Ads. I've not come across any of these (yet), but according to Youtube FAQ's regarding Ads, these have the 'highest video abandonment rates than skippable TrueView Ads' and not available for all partners. So they may be more rare to find than other types.

You can see the 4 main types of Youtube Ads here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2467968

D

Deleted member 178

kill'em all !!!!

damn wait 5 sec to see a 10sec video is quite annoying

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Don't really mind the display ads but the rest I can do without

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't really mind the display ads but the rest I can do without

I prefer the TrueView Ads, once they've been played they are GONE, unlike the Display Ads that linger at the bottom/side. I've probably mentioned this before, but the videos are interesting to some extent and I like how they're using actual content taken from the site itself.

The main Ad on the homepage of Youtube can be closed, which is a nice option. A lot of sites don't offer that, or none that I've seen.

Personally, Youtube Ads are not that terrible as most make out to be.
Also I just thought of this, TV Channels that offer free on-demand video streaming services (ie. 4OD, Demand 5)have Ads in between their TV Shows every 10 to 15 minutes. These can last anywhere up to 2 minutes and even with an AdBlocker, they're not skippable. Far worse than compared to Youtube.

So this sounds crazy (and probably a longshot at best), but give YT a try without an Ad-Blocker. :D

@Moose . This topics about "Do you find Youtube Ads annoying?", not "Try this addon". If you wish to compare AdBlockers, open another thread. Thanks.

NZRADAR

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 8, 2013
I generally try to block most Ads unless site functionality is broken by to many filters, also I share my wireless network with neighbor and there can be up to 5 connected machines on the network at any one time and youtube hits the highest stats when i look at my opendns report.
Because of this and our rural address on a very slow broadband I try to maximize the internet speed for all by using Adblock plus ie less ads less network congestion

Bit of topic
I also use at times YouTubeCenter firefox extension to get some speed and other useful options like disabling youtubes D.A.S.H .quote
"A few years ago, YouTube switched to a streaming protocol called Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP, or DASH for short. While it's more efficient in most cases, you probably know it best as the thing that only lets you preload the video a few seconds ahead of the playhead, no matter how fast your connection is. Luckily, it's easy to disable"

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/youtube-center/

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
TLDR: I pat you on the back you pat me on the back but don't waste my time.

I go by a simple yet strict Term Of Service.

Content Creator (That I'm subscribed to) - Makes quality videos that I find enjoyable to watch = WHITE LISTED IN ADBLOCK PLUS
How ever no True View or Non-Skippable must be shown. Break this rule = REMOVED FROM WHITE LIST

Anyone that I'm not subscribed to is blocked by default, If I end up liking their videos and subscribing - I'll white list. I don't pay for a product unless it deserves it.

"That's a little harsh don't you think MrXidus? These content creators spend hours, days, weeks heck sometimes months to make a video and your selfish behind even can't take 3 - 5 seconds of your time to view an ad for them as a thanks for the entertainment?"

Well think of it this way kiddo, say I watch an average of 250 videos a week and each video had a TrueView Ad.

250 videos x 5 second ad = 1250 seconds = 20 minutes
1000 videos in one month x 5 second ads = 5000 seconds = 83 minutes
1 years worth of videos at 1000 a month with each having a 5 second ad = 200 minutes (3.3 hours)

No thanks, I don't care what you do with your time but mine? I value it.

As you can see it all adds up in the end and I'd rather not waste that much time viewing bland ads that never interest me as it's not a fair trade off for the time.
I could do work for 3.3 hours and make $80 AUD if I wanted to. Or spend 3.3 hours with family and friends, or 3.3 hours playing the PS4. You get the idea.

At least with Overlay Ads I can still watch the video while giving some cash to the content creator. A true win-win for both of us. Even better if Display Ads.

Content creators that abide by my fair Terms of Service remain white listed.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
250 videos a week? Sounds like you have more than enough time on your hands. Content creators required to abide to your ToS, what a joke. As MrXidus, you are required to be A , B and C. If not, you're blacklisted. No wonder.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
250 videos a week? Sounds like you have more than enough time on your hands. Content creators required to abide to your ToS, what a joke. As MrXidus, you are required to be A , B and C. If not, you're blacklisted. No wonder.
Take this into account.

I've been an active user of Youtube since 2007. The list of people I've subscribed to has now grown large.
By checking the new uploads feed on the front page of Youtube it's common for me to find an average of 35 new videos to watch daily.
Add that up in a week and you get around the 250 mark.

Every individual and their time will vary as we are all different, I would not care if you only watched 1 video a month - that's your choice and I have mine.

Now that you understand. On the matter of my "Terms Of Service".

To the eyes of the content uploader, I'm a customer, I'm a view that puts revenue into his/her/their AdSense account.

They want something I got and they have something I want - quality entertainment. Provide me with that and they get their ad view.

How ever, I do not consent to having 5 second long ads thrown in my face or worse Un-Skippable Ads because like I said the time all adds up in the end.

I'm a generous man and I can see you encourage the use of Youtube without an ad blocker so consider yourself lucky that I even have a white-list and give content uploaders a chance.

I could easily just enable AdBlock Plus to block all ads on all channels. Even the channels I like.

So in the end, my "Terms Of Service" ain't a deal breaker and is fair.

Thanks.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.