YouTube can now delete accounts that aren't "commercially viable"

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
WTF?! Considering starting a YouTube channel? Maybe you already have one and are trying to add to your subscriber base. If so, here’s some potentially worrying news: The video platform says it can now ban users it deems “no longer commercially viable.”

The strange rule appeared in YouTube’s new terms of service, which it emailed to users over the weekend. It appears in the “Account Suspension & Termination” section under the “Terminations by YouTube for Service Changes” subheader.

The exact wording of the new terms, set to come into effect in the US on December 10, reads: “YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable.”

The changes to the ToS are supposed to make them “clearer and easier to understand,” yet they’ve had the opposite effect for most people.

Full article

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Google should be avoided. They should also be broken up as a monopoly. In the USA, much smaller firms were broken up in the past for less reasons but these days the corporate tentacles are deeply and unhealthily embedded into government (and military/industrial complex) to the extent they can get away with anything, even murder.

Unless things are checked, the American Experiment will be over in the next decade or less and we'll be left with an entirely Corporatism based government with very little control as the electorate.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

Gmail, search, translate, maps, chrome. Just for those, Google deserve credits and their leadership position.
People bash Google but all of them should remember they used their services; and internet won't be as usable and safe, if Google wasn't there.
I wonder how many would like to still use yahoo mail, internet explorer, etc...
Google pushed competitors to do better , Firefox being the best example, went from totally crap security-wised to a decent one.

Not saying no Google, no Android and we would be forced to buy overpriced Iphoned...

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
Their business, their rules, don't care.

You should, everyone should, they are getting powerful enough to sway elections in the US and many other countries with their censorship and data manipulation that no doubt this new rule was created for.

The question we should be asking ourselves is when does a business cross the line to a political power and "their business their rules" no longer shield them?

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

You should, everyone should, they are getting powerful enough to sway elections in the US and many other countries with their censorship and data manipulation that no doubt this new rule was created for.
No i shouldn't , they don't force me to use their product, i still decide. I decide to buy an Android phone, i still decide to use Gmail, etc...if i want, i can still use other parties.
Elections are swayed because many people are naive and believe whatever the press or internet tell them. Just look at how manipulable they were with the previous election, i bet at the next one, they will keep being manipulated by the same Russian troll factories...

The question we should be asking ourselves is when does a business cross the line to a political power and "their business their rules" no longer shield them?
they crossed the line eons ago, In US, all major corporations does it, it is legal, it is called "lobbying" because the law allow corporations to fund candidates during elections, hence getting significant power if the said candidate win.
In some European countries, it is forbidden.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It's just about (is) impossible to use the web without interacting with Google, it's not a choice - Most sites use Google analytics, this site uses Google fonts, fair enough & Google has lots done an awful lot of good but things are changing & Google is now is summed up I feel by Lord Acton - He expressed this opinion in a letter to Bishop Mandell Creighton in 1887:

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Often if not always true as in the case of each & every empire there has been including & perhaps especially the British one as a Brit myself - Google has become an empire?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Good point Cortex. Google is really not an option these days as they've entangled everything. Sure, we can switch browsers, but that doesn't stop their deep web analytics. Sure we can use iPhone or De-Googled Android's, but that doesn't stop their entanglement of other ancillary databases. It is really really hard, if not impossible to totally unplug from Google.

We must all remember, Google makes most of it's money from monetizing other peoples data, in most cases without their expressed consent. Their valuation is grossly inflated. It wasn't all that long ago when Google really had no tangible assets but was still worth billions.

Adblocking technologies are the enemy of Google. Watch as those blocking technologies and methods cut into their bottom line and they become powerful enough to shut them down. Signs of this were presenting years ago but are starting to ramp up as adblocking becomes a bigger and bigger thing. As routers, software, browsers and DNS providers start blocking ads Google will become more desperate as time marches on.

• Applause
Reactions: Venustus and Cortex

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Their business, their rules, don't care.
The issue is that their rules aren't defined properly. They are incredibly vague that so many YouTubers don't know how to prepare for them.

Reactions: Venustus
F

ForgottenSeer 823865

The issue is that their rules aren't defined properly. They are incredibly vague that so many YouTubers don't know how to prepare for them.
That i can understand but once they give you the reason, you can try persuade them of your "unawareness" but if they don't unban you, babycrying is futile.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.