YouTube.com is now available as a Desktop PWA

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Source: Youtube web app gains PWA install prompt – may be hinting at offline support
The Youtube web app is now showing the PWA install prompt in the Chrome Omnibox for some. It’s important to note that some users have stated that they’ve seen this for a while now, but a mass rollout is significant versus a few people testing it in stages.

We’re seeing Google aggressively push the idea of turning many of its services into actual PWAs as they begin placing them in the Google Play Store in place of traditional apps.

More importantly, Google recently began enforcing a policy that would require developers to provide some form of offline functionality in order to make this PWA install prompt appear at the top of the Chrome browser.

IkariGradius

Level 2
Verified
Jan 17, 2019
I'm indeed seeing it (I'm from Europe). While it's nice for heavy users of the service having the ability to launch YouTube directly without going thru Chrome, is there a use besides that? Mostly, PWA are useful for local storage and offline capabilities, such as for notes taking. But since YouTube is online only, I'm not sure it will be of much use for most. Unless they plan to implement offline capabilities for the web version, to the likes of their iOS and Android apps 🤔

Thanks for the share!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.