Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sign Petition (change.org) - Google: Change the Youtube comment section back to its original form
Discovered via DigitalSpy.

CNET: YouTube comments revamped, users give thumbs down
Google has shaken up YouTube's commenting system in an effort, it says, to improve the quality of conversations -- but its users aren't impressed.

Among the changes are the ability to make your comments private, reply in threads, share comments to Google+, edit your comments and get notifications.

Comments can now be much longer -- which one user tested by posting the entire script of the 177-minute movie Braveheart -- and can include URLs, which seems like an open invitation to spammers.

This video explaining some of the changes, which focuses heavily on its integration with Google+, is already deeply unpopular, with 85 per cent of voters giving it a thumbs down at time of publication.

"Meet the new Youtube comments" - [VIDEO]

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I'm all for embracing change but not when the end results turns out to be absolute junk.

The dislikes on that Google video made me laugh, the comments section even more. Lots of problems with the new system.

Also a video by one Youtuber who has over 121,000 subscribers who points out the big issue with big content providers and how they have to deal with responding to hundreds/thousands of comments a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqaLXlfA94s

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
YouTube co-founder hurls abuse at Google over new YouTube comments
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/08/youtube-cofounder-why-the-#####-do-i-need-a-google-account-to-comment

Change the **** in the link to the F word...

YouTube aims to tame the trolls with changes to its comments section
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/nov/07/youtube-comments-trolls-moderation-google

The Guardian said:
The promise of a calmer, more constructive comments section on YouTube is, however, slightly undermined by the fact that the second comment in the top thread under the video explaining the changes includes a prominent ASCII penis.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
GOOGLE: I protest strongly.
h6paooK.jpg

youtube censored - enhanced crop 500x330.jpg

The selected steering is exactly described by Orwell .. more of Google power = more censorship = more communism, so more evil.

And more malware links, so more billions into the pocket of Google ..

So CHANGE!

List of Best Search Engines on the Web : http://malwaretips.com/Thread-List-of-Best-Search-Engines-on-the-Web

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
GOOGLE - time for CHANGE ..

3JNHqzL.jpg

GOOGLE time-for-change enhanced changed cropped 935x655.jpg

Original image (Thank you Karen Gately !..): A time for change… : on karengately.wordpress.com : http://karengately.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/a-time-for-change/

'2.Communicate: not only did people not understand the organisation’s vision, they also struggled to appreciate the role they were expected to play. Many were also frustrated by what they perceived to be a lack of consultation. As a consequence some had little confidence in the quality of decisions being made. It was common for people to be taken by surprise with ‘fully baked’ solutions rolled out to teams who were then expected to implement without question in limited time frames.'

So, Google: flat hitting (below the belt) is not befitting (to you) ..

Flat hitting is not befitting.

A time to change:
7d3tUL3.jpg

GOOGLE - stop online censorship - enhanced crop 314x314.jpg

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prootect, you signed the petition? :D

Some Government do far worse censorship.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm happy with Google and I don't see them as evil at all.

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

The new YouTube comments system is great. Hats off to the guys who made it.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I personally like the changes Google made to the commit system, if a Google Plus account is required, then it makes it much harder for trolls to abuse the system.

I have seen many commits on Youtube which were just made by trolls trying to cause problems. It looks like these troll commits are going down now.

Thanks. :D

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

Littlebits said:
I personally like the changes Google made to the commit system, if a Google Plus account is required, then it makes it much harder for trolls to abuse the system.

I have seen many commits on Youtube which were just made by trolls trying to cause problems. It looks like these troll commits are going down now.

Thanks. :D

It also encourages better discussion, and the promotion of the better discussion.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The downsides need to be ironed out.
1. URLs are now live links.
2. Annoying Memes created with characters
3. Needs to be a limit of characters.

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

Earth said:
The downsides need to be ironed out.
1. URLs are now live links.

URLs were always linked, just attempted to be hidden. This system is a lot better, as it filters URLs by best voted content, too.

Earth said:
2. Annoying Memes created with characters
3. Needs to be a limit of characters.

Not really a problem, since they limit the amount of the post you can see immediately.

MDTechVideos

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
It is clear that YouTube has made some improvements to their site(so far I can count 2). If you are just browsing YouTube for the fun of it, the changes might not seem too bad. However, being a content creator I have never seen something this messed up happen to YouTube in the 6 years I have been an active video poster on the site (with a different channel).

Some problems I have noticed with this update alone:

1. The spam filter is catching legitimate comments. I have yet to see any actual spam comments caught by the this filter yet. Most of the comments detected are several months old and are actually useful comments. I am unable to restore these comments that are deemed spam so essentially they are gone forever
  2. Every comment before the new changes were implemented are no longer responsible too. This really kind of stinks considering how I had active conversations going on at the time.
  3. For a majority of the new comments I am getting on my channel, I do not "have permission" to respond to them(one can assume it has to do with Google+). With quite a few of these users having contact-only pm's enabled, there is no way for me to respond to them.
  4. Going back to the spam filter, I have seen at-least 3 spam postings of illegal serial keys over the last 2 days, all of which have made it right past the spam filter.
  5. Before the new commenting system I would instantly receive an alert in my inbox telling me exactly where to find this comment. Now, I am receiving these "Google + " alerts telling me that person A shared this video with their circle. After a mufti-step process of trying to find out if they actually posted a comment on one of my videos, it is a 50-50 shot whether or not I will be able to respond to it.
  6. Another problem with the spam filter is that I do not even receive alerts that new spam is hidden from public view. Not only is it bad enough that I would need to check my 82 videos daily to see if any comments were wrongfully marked as spam, but it is a coin toss as to whether I will be able to restore those comments to public view.
  7. Appropriate being that this is on a security forum, I have run across many live hyperlinks to questionable/poorly rated sites. Not that I have actually ventured to these sites, but I can be sure some people have payed the price for clicking on an innocent "expand this comment" hyperlink which leads to an undesired page (without any warnings from YouTube saying you are leaving their site to say the least).
  8. While I feel confidently that a majority of users will eventually switch to the new Google+, a few will stay behind. Not only does that hurt the amount of feedback one receives to improve video content, but also makes the community a less enjoyable and productive place.
  9. It appears I have 4 different Google + pages for one YouTube channel. When I attempt to delete a couple of these accounts, I receive an extremely vague warning that discourages me from closing one of my accounts in fear of my account being shut down (in actually I doubt this would be the case but thanks to Google's ambiguity I am unsure of this enough that I am leaving everything how it is).
  10. Trollers will troll no matter what lengths they need to go to. Honestly it is no harder to be a troll now than it was a week ago. Need to make up a first and last name? If you are really stumped and want to use something creative just go to the random name generator. If you need a profile picture, go to Google Images there are millions to chose from. Now trollers can post links to not only their spam sites, but post large pixelated images of Nazi symbols, hand gestures and offensive body parts. The only way Google will solve this problem is force everyone to submit some form of social security, or even better, a birth certificate to create an account. Being this could not possibly be profitable for Google, I see this never happening. So has it actually become easier for people to troll on YouTube? That is for you to decide.

While I am sure I could come up with some more points, this list should be sufficient enough to get my point across. So while I am not against change, this is going way to far. While there are minor benefits to the changes, it is a one step forward ten steps back kind of deal. This is argument is not being led by trolls alone. If given the choice to go back to how YouTube was a month ago and leaving it the way it is now, by far the majority would want to go back to the old system. While personally I liked the 2010 layout more than this year's older layout, it is still a major improvement. While it would take much more than anything brought about by this heated debate to change Google's mind (hurting them in their pockets), one thing often leads to another.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
I am going to watch Mashable Video's in place of youtube video's. Also, I am staying as far away from anything related to google period. Do you know how to delete a youtube account?

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
MD, here's some info I know of Youtube and Google+ Pages.

Your email address is your main Youtube account, if you've created a name for it. You can delete and create new ones easily.
- Any additional YT channels can be created, but require a Google+ Page.
- Google+ Page(s) cannot be deleted, only transferred ownership.
- So any Google+ Page can be made into a YT channel, or left as a Page, if you have ownership

You can switch between your YT channels here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel_switcher

Example:

IaU8wjJ.png

Or my rant here:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Disappointed-with-Google-Plus-and-Lack-of-details-regarding-Youtube-accounts
(I had to use the deleted account recovery - which works).

MalwareDoctor said:
  • It appears I have 4 different Google + pages for one YouTube channel. When I attempt to delete a couple of these accounts, I receive an extremely vague warning that discourages me from closing one of my accounts in fear of my account being shut down (in actually I doubt this would be the case but thanks to Google's ambiguity I am unsure of this enough that I am leaving everything how it is).

@Moose, Youtube account deletion information. What you need to know.. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/55759?hl=en

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Many many thanks! Hopefully, by the end of week. I will be free of Google and YouTube!

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It sure does. Especially when a Spammer can post their crap, but legit users cannot. Go Google!

Xu0JpRx.png

Arrivance said:
It also encourages better discussion, and the promotion of the better discussion.

F

ForgottenSeer 13700

Earth said:
It sure does. Especially when a Spammer can post their crap, but legit users cannot. Go Google!

Xu0JpRx.png

Evidently that is because of something wrong on either end; the comment might be a legacy comment, or you may not have upgraded to Google+ - anything else, I am not aware of, and as such cannot comment on.

Legitimate users can post whatever they need to post, but they need to be willing to accept these changes; life will never go ahead if nothing changes, and frankly, these changes are for the better.

How many legitimate links I can post now! Before you complain about malicious links, how many of them actually get through to the 'Top Comments' system that eventually is the primary option?

And for all of the ASCII whiners, they don't show it all at once. Moreover, it limits the amount immediately seen.

Frankly, YouTube's comment system has always been god awful, and this one, I've seen result in much better, more filled conversations, and a much better comments interface.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
More proof the new comment system works! Enjoy. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I wasn't particularly fond of this idea at the start (see my previous replies), but not it's not too bad. For one, I can see the reply to the comments I make without have to dig around the webpage using the Ctrl+F (Find function). Also it's good to see +1 on your comments, always a bonus. :D

However, this being Google Plus, I use a Page to make comments (not my Profile) on videos, only let down is the Pages cannot be deleted. So there are a lot of dormant Pages on G+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.