Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
YouTube videos on the web now default to using the HTML5 player which should mean better performance, stability, battery life and even security for users.

The decline of Adobe Flash Player seems to be slow but irreversible as the biggest video service online has taken another step in making it irrelevant. YouTube started offering an experimental HTML5 player years ago, but only through the advancement of the standard and by working with browser creators was the service able to fully switch to HTML5.

The new player takes advantage of Adaptive Bitrate streaming (ABR) which allows YouTube to seamlessly switch between higher and lower quality streams for continuous playback regardless of network conditions. It also allows for live-streaming of content on consoles, devices like the Chromecast and regular browsers.

Of course this also means that watching video on mobile devices got better, especially if you were doing that through a web browser.

This change was a long time coming, so we’re glad it’s finally here, especially if YouTube delivers on all its promises. Now if only the company could make a decent player for consoles…

Source: YouTube Dev Blog
Via: http://www.neowin.net/news/youtube-player-ditches-flash-defaults-to-html5

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Agree with the above replies, but HTML5 on Youtube doesn't do 1080 with many videos I believe unless that will change? Flash, a constant security issue though.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That's not the problem cause long time before I have many issues on Flash player dealing on Youtube while the HTML 5 came with no problems at all.

If I'm not to be mistaken in the future, HTML 5 player will be enforce as standard on most websites due to comparison changes.

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's a good news. I hate adobe flash player and their nagging update pop-up.

Modern Browsers such as Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome do not have any of those issues. Flash Player is updated through Windows Update and Google Update service.

Flash Player is still needed for Web applications. It's Java that should be eliminated. :p

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.