YouTube to Kill the Non-Skippable 30-second with 6-second Bumper Ads, 2018

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"In an official statement, Google explained that its aim is to provide a better advertising experience for online users.

"As part of that, we’ve decided to stop supporting 30-second unskippable ads as of 2018 and focus instead on formats that work well for both users and advertisers," said a Google spokesman.

In April last year, YouTube introduced the six-second unskippable bumper ad format. It’s understood that the platform intends to promote this format more heavily in the year ahead. This includes all formats, including TrueView.

This move is a logical one, agreed experts."​

Poll options include Humor. Do not get offended.

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Well i voted noone. I simply HATE ads in any way! if i want something, i buy it. But pls, go away with ur Ads.Even if u get paid for it or need to be paid. Ads are annoying as hell. Thats why i use a adblocker. Not because i for malicious ads but for ads i simply dont care and dont want to see. I want a smooth internet expirience and ads need to get the way out of my internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiguelPratas819

Level 2
Verified
Jul 8, 2015
Well i voted noone. I simply HATE ads in any way! if i want something, i buy it. But pls, go away with ur Ads.Even if u get paid for it or need to be paid. Ads are annoying as hell. Thats why i use a adblocker. Not because i for malicious ads but for ads i simply dont care and dont want to see. I want a smooth internet expirience and ads need to get the way out of my internet.
So would you prefer to pay to see the videos? I hate ads as well 6 second bumper ad doesn´t sound so bad.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I disable Privacy Badger for Youtube simply because I want video creators to get paid for their work and I'm personally perfectly happy with 30-second unskippable ads before videos. Anything over 30 seconds on a less than 15 minute video is where I start to have an issue with it and I will actively skip those or reload the webpage until I get a 30 second ad. (Unless the video's over 20 minutes and then I'm happy to watch a 1 minute ad or two 30 second ads.)
Saying that, I had no idea they introduced 6-second bumper ads. I've never seen one and I generally watch a good hour or so of Youtube everyday.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
What aggravates me is the online advertising industry's unwillingness to accept any blame or change their ways in response to adblocking. They continue to call people who use adblockers "thieves", whine about how they're losing all this money (while the industry continues to grow and rake in billions of dollars every year) and refuse to address the reasons why people block ads in the first place.
For me there are three main reasons why I block ads:

• Performance. Ads significantly slow browsing down to a crawl, at least for me. I don't know how this is on a system with a high end CPU/GPU but for me using a cheap general purpose PC some websites feel almost unusable. If you're running a PC with integrated graphics and some cheap i3 CPU, go to a wikia page, turn off your adblock and scroll from top to bottom. It's like a bloody slideshow.

• Tracking. The amount of data advertisers are allowed to suck up so they can use said data to target their ads is genuinely creepy. They'll claim it's "anonymised" but I'd argue that it's semi-anonymised. Your PC has a specific string of numbers that acts as an ID. They may not know your name, but they sure as hell know where you live, what your likes/dislikes are, what you buy, what you search, your browsing history, etc. I'd also argue this: How do we know it's "anonymised"? Most of these companies I've never even heard of before. I'd certainly never heard of "servebom" or "realmedia" or "seekingalpha" before I started blocking ads. And to top it all off, there's zero consent or communication this is happening. (EU law requires websites to display cookie notices on their websites to announce to visitors that they and third parties use cookies on said website, but by the time you've read that it's too late, they've already stuck those cookies in your browser.) None of this is taking into account of the more advanced tracking techniques. Fingerprinting, evercookies, the fact that advertisers can now apparently put out an inaudible sound from your TV that your phone can pick up and use for cross-device tracking.

• Malvertising. Malvertising has been and is on the rise. Thinking about it, it's a pretty damn good vector for malware delivery; if doubleclick or a similarly large advertising network gets infected, you're talking a huge portion of people infected all at once. I've heard absolutely no one from the advertising industry address this. When it happens, they say sorry and move on; sweeping it under the rug and pretending it never happened. That must be a real comfort for the possibly hundreds of thousands of people who have had their data scrambled by ransomware; the kind of people who aren't fully technologically literate, who don't use adblockers to defend themselves and who are the most likely to pay the criminals who are holding their data for ransom. In my opinion, malvertising is the biggest issue the advertising industy needs to address, because it affects those most vulnerable on the web.
Apologises for the rant. It's just a subject I'm very passionate on. :oops:

Last edited:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Too bad "none" is associated with wanting everything for free, so there's no option for me.

Funny thing is that I've yet to see an ad on YouTube, but then I'm using Adguard. Never knew they had such annoying ads in the first place.

But yes, of course I'd consider paying if the offer is worth it. Now YouTube isn't licensing blockbusters from professional studios, so I'd draw the line at about 5$/mo. but I pay for Netflix and Hulu, why wouldn't I consider that for other entertainment sites as well?

Remember that we're already paying with our data, so that should get us on some form of do-not-track-list of course...

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Added an additional option in Poll for Subscribers of YT Red or Music Unlimited.

@Arequire You obviously have not seen the Slowest Webpage of MalwareTips, have you?
Youtube Show Off! It's not the Ads that slow you down, it's the stream of 10 or 20 videos.

Also Youtube video Ads are video-based and aren't going to have the same affects as static Ads.

The 6-second Bumper Ad isn't bad, I usually see video-game related ones.

Reactions: aragornnnn

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Added an additional option in Poll for Subscribers of YT Red or Music Unlimited.

@Arequire You obviously have not seen the Slowest Webpage of MalwareTips, have you?
Youtube Show Off! It's not the Ads that slow you down, it's the stream of 10 or 20 videos.

Also Youtube video Ads are video-based and aren't going to have the same affects as static Ads.

The 6-second Bumper Ad isn't bad, I usually see video-game related ones.
MalwareTips? Oh that place is just the worst. Slowest site on the net right there. ;)

And yeah, I don't really have any problem with pre-roll video ads, although I still have no idea what the 6 second bumper ads are. Are they the small grey banner-like ads that appear at the bottom of a video?

Last edited:
Reactions: aragornnnn

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
I came across an unskippable ad just before coming here. I chose skip it and move onto to another video.

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I came across an unskippable ad just before coming here. I chose skip it and move onto to another video.
I find that VEVO Music videos force the Unskippable Ads, even after clicking on another video of theirs. But like you said, I look for a different video.

+1 for a polite comment without foul language. ;)

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
Ads are my enemy!
Well, of course i have "politic" version also; I do prefer clicking/allow ads sites/vendors/Videos etc if i think they deserve this. I will white-listed those sure. But that case my vote goes option: 3

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I can have ads before a video as long as they only take a few seconds, but it's really getting annoying if you constantly get the same ad or after some time you get ads that you can't skip or that are in another language.
What I really hate are ads that are appear inside the video and that pause it, play the video ad and resume your video.
But adguard saves me the frustration ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I personally allow ads to run when I'm ever on a computer that I'm not logged into YouTube. I feel like the creators have to make money some how. Yes they can get annoying but to me it's how they make their money. I do have YouTube red, as there are series I watch that require this and having the Google Pixel I also love the Unlimited Google Play Music.

Ads are ads, depends on what ad you get is what you seem to watch. Like for me it's either car ads or video game ads. On another note it's like free to air TV and radio. There are ads everywhere on these two platforms and half the time you just filter it out but going and making a coffee and or making food etc. You can't just put an ad blocker on and get rid of them completely. Ads are everywhere and I think they are a good thing. An ad could mean for you seeing a new Pizza at Dominos and then going along to try it out because you saw it on a ad, or you go for a job interview that was hiring and how did you see them, an ad on the radio or the TV.

But when it comes to this thread, I personally don't mind the 30 second ads or the 6 second ads. :)

Reactions: DJ Panda

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.