Assigned ZAL - How to safely remove driver after uninstall?

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@ZAM3_PO and @Miss Onnellisuus - Some ZAL users would like to know how to safely remove drivers manually in ZAL (and ZAM). In reference to @dragongate888's questions (posts 348 & 351) about keyboard issues & problems removing ZAL driver here: Discuss - Join Zemana Beta Group . I think this info would benefit those curious members and other users who wish to completely uninstall this software without problems. Thank you.

Edited To reflect safe manual removal re: .Discuss - Join Zemana Beta Group

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@ZAM3_PO and @Miss Onnellisuus - I would like to know how to safely remove drivers in ZAL (and ZAM). In reference to @dragongate888's question about keyboard issues & problems removing ZAL driver here: dragongate888. I think this info would benefit those curious members and other users who wish to completely uninstall this software without problems. Thank you.
I used Rapr aka Driver store explorer in admin with force uninstall option to nuke it from Win store and prevent conflict when new version comes out. Same with Kaspersky free AV as well.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I used Rapr aka Driver store explorer in admin with force uninstall option to nuke it from Win store and prevent conflict when new version comes out. Same with Kaspersky free AV as well.

That is one excellent program - I would think having a full image of C:\ is a wise precaution before using it? It found drivers from long lost programs - Thank You !

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Thanks for the tip. I am editing OP to reflect manual removal advice.

@Music4Ever - Thanks for the feedback. It might be nice if someone did a comprehensive review.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Edited OP again to reflect user problem mentioned by OP here: Discuss - Join Zemana Beta Group

@Miss Onnellisuus asked the user with the issues to PM for help. I simpy posted to a new thread considering she didn't wish to mix different product issues in the ZAM Beta thread - which is understandable. I thought the new thread would help ZAL members/users generally.

Thanks for the suggestions but I myself do not need this help. :D I hope this clarifies the original intention behind by OP. (y)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
That is one excellent program - I would think having a full image of C:\ is a wise precaution before using it? It found drivers from long lost programs - Thank You !
Its much safer these days. Earlier when Rapr was hosted at codeplex a simple delete will remove everything w/o any prompts. Now if you can run at default w/o admin, it won't work. It needs admin privilege and will prompt you when you select delete and presents a window to Proceed with delete or cancel.
I used it when DDU was in earlier stage of production, I always Rapr on most PCs because Win 10 doesn't cleanup older driver and it gets stored in System32\drivers and bloats the entire system.

ZAM3_PO

From Zemana
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Dec 18, 2018
Hi guys,

@oldschool, thank you very much for opening this post here. For all kinds of technical issues/suggestions/questions, you can tag me in threads or send me a PM anytime you want. For technical stuff, you dont have to tag @Miss Onnellisuus :) All other questions, you can also tag her anytime you need.

As for this topic. For a device which is running latest version of ZAL/ZAM, uninstall should not cause any issues. It is definitely safe to uninstall these programs.
However, keyboard malfunction issue which was reported by few users should be investigated thoroughly though this has a high chance to be a result of conflict with another security products. For instance, if a security product is holding keycrypt at the same time ZAL is holding, uninstall process can cause unexpected issues. However again, this should be investigated thoroughly by us. This is the reason why if anybody notices an issue like this we ask them to contact us directly so that we can check this and assist them solving their problems.

Regarding leftover driver files and such, at this point, you can use third party applications such as revo uninstaller etc. or manually delete these files. This leftover file issue will be solved in ZAM 3.0.

Let me know if everything is clear and if you have any other questions :)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Hi guys,

@oldschool, thank you very much for opening this post here. For all kinds of technical issues/suggestions/questions, you can tag me in threads or send me a PM anytime you want. For technical stuff, you dont have to tag @Miss Onnellisuus :) All other questions, you can also tag her anytime you need.

As for this topic. For a device which is running latest version of ZAL/ZAM, uninstall should not cause any issues. It is definitely safe to uninstall these programs.
However, keyboard malfunction issue which was reported by few users should be investigated thoroughly though this has a high chance to be a result of conflict with another security products. For instance, if a security product is holding keycrypt at the same time ZAL is holding, uninstall process can cause unexpected issues. However again, this should be investigated thoroughly by us. This is the reason why if anybody notices an issue like this we ask them to contact us directly so that we can check this and assist them solving their problems.

Regarding leftover driver files and such, at this point, you can use third party applications such as revo uninstaller etc. or manually delete these files. This leftover file issue will be solved in ZAM 3.0.

Let me know if everything is clear and if you have any other questions :)
Making a ZAM uninstaller will be helpful. Its helpful when reinstalling ZAM when upgrading to new versions.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Hi, all , thanks for the creation of this new thread. The tech issue re ZAL perhaps is a wide spread one, the question is the degree of awareness of victims. In my instance, there are several PCs are under my guidance, mishaps have created some degree of uneasiness among my folks. For public knowledge, I chose to divulge my experience to deal with this dilemma, rather PM to developer, after all they are the creator of this app.
The only AV is ESET endpoint antivius
The third party Uninstaller is Uninstall Tool
The force removal app is LockHunter
First, ESET's real time is paused
(2) Uninstall tool is applied to remove ZAL (the latest version, back in 2017)
(3) reboot , then able to remove ZAM driver and 2 files in Program data, successfully and manually. However the . sys driver is refused to budge.
(4) LockHunter is applied, was adviced to reboot and the said driver shall be removed. Failed to the claim.
(5) boot into SAFE MODE, again failed to delete it straightly from system32 file.
(6) move the said driver to document folder then to remove it in SAFE MODE again, ok done.
(7) reboot to normal state, surprisingly, keyboard rendered useless.
(8) My present remedy is to reinstall ZAL and remove all components EXCEPT the .sys driver. And keep finger very closely that it is harmless.
I am compelled to reveal these painful experiences and hoping any sort of these tech issues SHOULD be discussed PUBLICLY in this respectful FORUM. Thank all for the attention.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Hi, all , thanks for the creation of this new thread. The tech issue re ZAL perhaps is a wide spread one, the question is the degree of awareness of victims. In my instance, there are several PC are under my guidance, mishaps have created some degree of uneasiness among my folks. For public knowledge, I chose to divulge my experience to deal with this dilemma, rather PM to developer, after all they are the creator of this app.
The only AV is ESET endpoint antivius
The third party Uninstaller is Uninstall Tool
The force removal app is LockHunter
First, ESET's real time is paused
(2) Uninstall tool is applied to remove ZAL (the latest version, back in 2017)
(3) reboot , then able to remove ZAM driver and 2 files in Program data, successfully and manually. However the . sys driver is refused to budge.
(4) LockHunter is applied, was adviced to reboot and the said driver shall be removed. Failed to the claim.
(5) boot into SAFE MODE, again failed to delete straightly for system32 file.
(6) move the said drive to document folder then to remove it in SAFE MODE again, ok done.
(7) reboot to normal state, surprisingly, keyboard rendered useless.
(8) My present remedy is to reinstall ZAL and remove all components EXCEPT the .sys driver. And keep finger very closely that it is harmless.
I am compelled to reveal these painfully experiences and hoping any sort of these tech issues SHOULD be discussed PUBLICLY in this respectful FORUM. Thank all for the attention.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, these sorts of issues should be addressed publicly. (y)

boombastik

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2018
1)uninstall zal
2)run the cmd file from TairikuOkami to clear all the antimalware files.
3) download DriverView v1.47 -https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
this program list all drivers that run in yout pc. if you double click a driver you can find the service name for it.
4)find the service name from the anti logger service zemana (the driver as i remember is keycrypt64.sys but i dont remember the name of the service)
5) when u find it run cmd as admin and run the command sc delete servicename you found above
6)restart your machine you will have this in event viewer:
1.png

7)go in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\AppInit_DLLs
and set registry from 1 to 0. Do it only if the Appinit_DLLs is empty.

2.jpg

The antilloger for me was dead for the beginning. When an antilloger hooks all the services is bad for stabilty. That why an approach to create a global antilloger for all the windows services usually fail.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.