• Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
Computer specs
HP Pavilion 15n037se Intel core I7- 4500 CPU @ 1.80 GHz 2.40 GHz
8GB DDR4 - 1TB HDD
Notable changes
Uninstalled VoodooShield as it was slowing down my system.
14/10/2020 I've installed 2 periodic scanners from Eset and Norton.
Notes by Staff Team
  1. This setup may cause performance issues, system instability or conflicts between programs, and can hinder the effectiveness of the installed antivirus products.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@ZeePriest: full overkill in real-time protection 🤦‍♂️:
Mcafee Intenet Security
VoodooShield free
Emsisoft Anti-malware Home(Installed trial recently)

Also overkill in browser add-ons...

About the need (or not) of setting UAC to max/always notify:

So finally is the OP decision...

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
@ZeePriest: full overkill in real-time protection 🤦‍♂️:

Also overkill in browser add-ons...

About the need (or not) of setting UAC to max/always notify:

So finally is the OP decision...
Hi Harlan, do you suggest that I remove emsisoft and its browser extension? What else should I be doing in my case? Thanks for your feedback btw

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Running two antiviruses are never a good idea, they will just cause system slowdowns and will actually decrease the protection you get due to conflicts, I would honestly just stick to windows defender and do occasional scans with Malwarebytes, hitmanpro, emsisoft emergency kit etc, you can try out ConfigureDefender to get the most out of WD

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
I've taken your suggestions and uninstalled emsisoft. Is it okay to keep voodooshield or does it have to go also? and can I stick with Mcafee webAdvisor instead of emsisoft browser security? which one is better? I hope i'm not asking too many questions :oops:

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

Please explain reasons behind such suggestion. Without such details users who ask for feedback will not understand why suggestions are being made. This can also result in posts being removed.
I don't know why you remove my comment (now second time) but I don't make anything wrong. I just do the same like other user's here: help with recommend settings/ tweaks.

Yes I could provide links about why harden that and these settings is important so sorry for that and here about UAC:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I've taken your suggestions and uninstalled emsisoft. Is it okay to keep voodooshield or does it have to go also? and can I stick with Mcafee webAdvisor instead of emsisoft browser security? which one is better? I hope i'm not asking too many questions :oops:
As your Antivirus is now only McAfee, just keep McAfee Web-Advisor it works together with McAfee Internet Security.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
In general and apriori, having a full security suite already installed would not be not necessary, but VS adds additional layers of protection, You may keep it and check if no issues/slowdowns in Your system...

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@ZeePriest,
You are using VS so you probably do not mind informative alerts. The UAC on max gives you additional information as compared to lower settings, which can be crucial for Windows security (UAC bypasses). So, I would also advise you to use the UAC max setting.
I am not sure if this particular config requires the UAC highest level setting, but the config may change in the future (it is overkill).

For example, the "Allways notify" setting is required to stop the popular UAC bypasses based on abusing Microsoft trusted binaries with the ability to auto elevate on Admin account. See for example:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.