Assigned Zemana AM Paid vs Free

This thread is being handled by a member of the staff.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Hey Guys, I'd like to try out ZAM. AtM, I employ Qihoo 360 TS as main AV (which works well), but I'd like to replace EEK with ZAM, as HMP seems to be not good against worms (Online banking laptop you know...)
Also, I've read that ZAM is just a rebranded HMP? Don't know whether that's true.

Video Review - Zemana AM, Malwarebytes and HitmanPro vs Worms

I wish to stay with HMP.A, however (the license is running for some time still, too.) Also, Qihoo does have an BD engine, and detection by EEK's own engine seems to be pretty weak as the detection is not only PUP etc.

Is there any (noticeable) difference between the paid and the free version of Zemana AM?

I've already read trough this one:

Zemana AntiMalware Free - Limitless Scan and Malware Removal!

The 3 points which I'm not quite sure about are:
-the Pandora Sandbox Tech
-the File Rep Service
-the need for emergency updates

Qihoo 360 TS as main AV does a great job for me.

What would you say?

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

ZAM WAS a HitmanPro re-branded now it uses three more engines than HitmanPro and is its own thing, it is amazing - I have uploaded screenshots. 360 and ZAM work well together that's what I use:

ZAM UI.PNG

If you are interested in which engines it uses, check this: Zemana AntiMalware Premium: Which Engines?

P.S: The uploaded image below is the engines that ZAM used versions ago!

Attachments

• ZAM ENGINES.PNG
    ZAM ENGINES.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 476

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
The main difference i think is in the real time protection compared to scan only.
So, in case I don't need that one (regular, manual kicked off, on demand scan), I'll be fine?

Reactions: frogboy

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
HMP is way better. If you buy it you have HMP.A and that is a really good software.

ZAM has a false positives. I don't like ZAM (it's a bad clone of HMP).

Since you have Qihoo (with all engines enable, I guess), that is enough.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

HMP is way better. If you buy it you have HMP.A and that is a really good software.

ZAM has a false positives. I don't like ZAM (it's a bad clone of HMP).

Since you have Qihoo (with all engines enable, I guess), that is enough.
ZAM is no longer a clone of HitmanPro, it was a clone over a year ago to try out...

HitmanPro uses:

• Kaspersky
  • Bitdefender
ZAM uses:
  • Kaspersky (like HitmanPro)
  • Bitdefender (like HitmanPro)
  • AVG
  • Eset
  • Avira
  • Zemana

Last edited by a moderator:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you very much for the input guys :)
@OpenSecLabs: Yes, but for checking the Malware Packs here, I disable Avira + BD for the time testing. Qihoo Cloud has become very impressive. Yes, I really love HMP.A, that was the main reason to buy it (in the past, it was bundled with HMP - might still be so, but I've read they decided to change it by this year).
@Tornado: Thank you for clarifying, those are a lot more :)
@frogboy: See my reply :)
@Klipsh: Thank you for pointing this out :)

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
@Tornado do more research. After you did, test with more then 10 malware (0-day) in a virtualbox. When you are done, send me a message with all that you found and with both products detection.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm using both ZAM free and premium.
In fact I recently cleaned a PC with ZAM free . So far so good. I can say it's a good alternative to MBAM Free as well as EEK. Worth a try.
ZAM Premium's Pandora is pretty effective against malware that intend to install into the system. So far it serves me well (though I must say there quite a no. of FP on legit software, but it's totally fine for me. FP is always better den no detection).

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@Tornado do more research. After you did, test with more then 10 malware (0-day) in a virtualbox. When you are done, send me a message with all that you found and with both products detection.

Not everyone is a expert like you :rolleyes:

@Der.Reisende
I think you have no need for Zemana paid version. Q360TS is good enough with real time protection. If you want go with Zemana Free :)

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Not true anymore. If you want to get HMP.A, you have to buy a license specifically for that product. HMP license won't work for HMP.A
ZAM has a false positives. I don't like ZAM (it's a bad clone of HMP)..
Personally I haven't that much problem with Zemana in terms of false positives.

Any problem with false positives in the real-time protection can be easily fixed by setting it to "ask me what to do"

@silversurfer, @Tornado I didn't want to sound arrogant and if I did, I'm sorry. I wanted to tell him to do more research and test. More engines doesn't mean better detection. HMP uses Behavioural Scanning, there engine is very good at detecting rootkits and hidden threats, it also has amazing detection against 0-day malware.
More engines can lead to more false positive, which is why Zemana reduced the number of engines. In the initial stages of the beta, Zemana had more engines, but overtime they removed the ones that were unnecessary in an effort to optimize the software.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Like already mentioned here, Zemana used to be a rebrand of HitmanPro. However nowadays, it is own software.

While we can debate about which one is more efficient. One thing Zemana has over HitmanPro is that it is free. You don't need to buy it to remove threats with Zemana.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
ZAM WAS a HitmanPro re-branded now it uses three more engines than HitmanPro and is its own thing, it is amazing - I have uploaded screenshots. 360 and ZAM work well together that's what I use:

View attachment 81272

If you are interested in which engines it uses, check this: Zemana AntiMalware Premium: Which Engines?

P.S: The uploaded image below is the engines that ZAM used versions ago!
I think I can only choose engines in the paid version? As I didn't find the option in the free version?

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I would suggest you give it a try on ZAM premium trial first. Grab a feel on their real-time protection and other features.
Personally IMHO, all malware scanner performs excellent in their own manner. It's totally up to the user preference on which one to use. U know out there are always fan boys loyal to their own products. Some even add more than one scanners to be paranoid.

In the end, whatever works for you, just use it. Why matters over the rumors that it is rebranded or suchs if helps you?

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.