Battle Zemana AM VS Emsisoft AM

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
So I won both zemana and emsisoft giveaways. I currently use zemana for signature protection, but I am thinking of switching to emsisoft. While emsisoft AM has more features, I already have those features. (I have HMPA, Voodooshield, and kaspersky. Considering switching from kaspersky to comodo). So just by signature protection, what has a higher detection ratio? Or has features I don't already have? No bias please.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
You can check detection ratio on Malware Hub;).
If i had to choose one of them for signature protection then probably i would go with ZAM since it's using more engines than EAM.
On the other hand if you want to take into consideration real time protection that is a different game;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
(I have HMPA, Voodooshield, and kaspersky. Considering switching from kaspersky to comodo)
Wait a minute, you have HMPA & VS ?
Run VS and HMPA as your combo and get rid of the bulky others, you have the ingerdients for a light and solid config and don't see it.
Or HMPA and EmsiSoft.
Either one would be golden
:rolleyes:

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
Emsisoft AM and Zemana AM are not really comparable, as they have different purposes; Emsisoft AM is a complete antivirus replacement, like Kaspersky, Avast etc. Zemana is not great for realtime protection so it is supposed to run alongside your main security solution, which could be Emsisoft AM. But if it's all about signatures and not overall protection, then you could choose Zemana.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Wait a minute, you have HMPA & VS ?
Run VS and HMPA as your combo and get rid of the bulky others, you have the ingredients for a light and solid config and don't see it.
Or HMPA and EmsiSoft.
Either one would be golden
:rolleyes:
True, but I want to be as secure as possible. The thing HMPA and VS is missing is a firewall and behavior blocking, which is what I'm looking for.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
You can check detection ratio on Malware Hub;).
This would be even less accurate than AV-Test comparatives if Zemana was a product on the list. I don't recommend you use this thought process when it comes to cybersecurity.

With that said, EAM is the stronger product and has better support. This is not to say that ZAM has a weak product or weak support, just that Emsisoft does it better.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If I'm not wrong without internet ZAM is dead. EAM (with its definitions download) still can work without internet and its BB will protect you too

Add an AV if you want to use ZAM. ZAM + EAM pair should be ok since EAM uses BD and its own scanning engines. You can add a separate firewall like the free Xvirus Personal Firewall

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Emsisoft is better by a huge %. Emsisoft has so much more in terms of features, technology, detection rates and privacy.

Zemana is a second rate anti-malware software. Fails every test in the malware hub. Serious questions about their ethics. They give away free licenses on every website in order to build bigger telemetry databases on all users. They don't release what AV engine they use which is very puzzling.

W

Wave

Emsisoft AM and Zemana AM are not really comparable
I agree. :)

Emsisoft Anti-Malware offers much more than the traditional "Anti-Malware" product... It has the File Guard, Behavior Guard and the Web Guard; products like Zemana Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware don't come close to having as good as behavioral protection as Emsisoft, plus Emsisoft have their gigantic network for file reputation based protection/auto-decisions.

Emsisoft have said themselves:
Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a complete antivirus solution that provides protection against all manner of threats that are lurking on the internet.
Source: https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is only called "Anti-Malware" and not "Anti-Virus" because:
Our lab has determined that classic viruses only make up less than 0.5% of total threats (in 2016). Using "Antivirus" would therefore be wrong by definition. We're perfectionists so we have elected to use the broader term "Malware" as it stands for all kinds of online threats.
Source: Emsisoft | Anti-Malware: Lightweight Malware Protection for the Home

(If you click the Source link, scroll to very bottom to find the FAQ answers).

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Emsisoft is better by a huge %. Emsisoft has so much more in terms of features, technology, detection rates and privacy.

Zemana is a second rate anti-malware software. Fails every test in the malware hub. Serious questions about their ethics. They give away free licenses on every website in order to build bigger telemetry databases on all users. They don't release what AV engine they use which is very puzzling.
Totally disagree with what you're saying.

1) "Zemana fails any test in the Hub"? I know this now from you!

2) "They give away free licenses on every website in order to build bigger telemetry databases on all users".
Out of place comment but if you can prove your claim then go for it.

3)"They don't release what AV engine they use which is very puzzling".
The fact they didn't share info about the engines not to detract from the merit to the software and I'm pretty sure that if you even knew what engines use Zemana, you opinion was the same.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Comparing these two is not fair, as they are not even similar
in features and scope of protection.
ZAM should be listed as a "second opinion" scanner and compared
accordingly, then it would fare better. JMHO

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
here in some tests, ZAM is mediocre with realtime and pandora.....other tests from independent labs ( MRG Effitas, etc) shows good scores....i think the true is in the middle.

But Emsisoft has the better package in my opinion for realtime. Zemana is the best on demand scanner.

No Antimalware-programm can be the winner in all categories.

giants8058

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2016
Gotta go with Emsisoft. Been using it for 3 years, and it's an impressive piece of software. Solid behavior blocker, very good detection, and really good support. Not to mention their stance on privacy. Just use Zemana free/portable as a second opinion scanner.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.