Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
windows 10 pro x64 with nov update

which of the two is recommended -- zemana free, or keyscrambler premium?
(I already have keyscrambler premium)

my present security configuration is:
webroot
MBAE
spyshelter free (does not offer kernel-level keystroke encryption)
voodooshield
crystal security
glasswire

I have tested keyscrambler premium with the spyshelter test program, and it works well, at least for my purposes.
my biggest security concern is typing the master password into lastpass, in chrome x64.

Reactions: mal1

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Haven't got W10... but can still chime in since I used both products before on W7...

Zemana free is too quiet... felt like it was doing bugger all from time to time. It would catch some things that SpyShelter didn't, and vice versa (used them at seperate times of course...). There is also a hidden update check feature which trumps the tickbox for checking updates; so it cannot be silenced till it is allowed to check for an update. It'll clog up firewall log. When you have a craving for advanced features, you won't find them.

Keyscrambler had a tendency to "not encrypt" from time to time. The widget box would say something like "unable to encrypt". It doesn't happen for a while, but then when it does, it will om a daily basis. The only advice on their website and from their helpdesk was to uninstall and reinstall. Don't look for advanced features, it is just a key scrambler; nothing more nothing less.

Your post has peaked my interest in Keyscrambler again, if anything to see if it doesn't scramble, now that I run a policy/privilege based system.

Since you have Keyscrambler Premium already, stick with it for a while, especially if all your list of apps are covered, as specified on their website. I would suggest removing Zemana or Keyscrambler (if they're still installed), performing a backup and then installing Keyscrambler.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
thanks for detailed reply.
I have been using keyscrambler premium for few months, it does cover my list of sensitive apps , but every once in a while I need to run the installer file again because it loses the license or something like that, but I don't have to uninstall beforehand. So it's pretty good.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if I am already running spyshelter free, and keyscrambler premium, is there anything left for zemana free to do? Or, alternatively, should I drop keyscrambler and go for zemana?
keyscrambler covers the apps that need protection, in my case.

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
if I am already running spyshelter free, and keyscrambler premium, is there anything left for zemana free to do? Or, alternatively, should I drop keyscrambler and go for zemana?
keyscrambler covers the apps that need protection, in my case.
I prefer KeyScrambler as I find that it uses much less resources than Zemana. KeyScrambler will only work with browsers and email (which is good enough most of the time). Both are effective.

Evgeny

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2015
I prefer KeyScrambler as I find that it uses much less resources than Zemana. KeyScrambler will only work with browsers and email (which is good enough most of the time). Both are effective.

KeyScrambler (at least premium) works almost with everything (winrar, notepad, etc), not only "browsers an emails".

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
unfortunately it does not work with windows sticky notes or with rainmeter sticky notes, so for people who like to scribble their new password on a sticky note...

H

hjlbx

With your config, KeyScrambler is better fit since there will be duplication of protections between Webroot and Zemana AntiLogger.

One important point about using KeyScrambler - if you don't use many of the softs covered by its protections, then it isn't worth paying for the Premium; the Personal edition will protect all your browsers.

Also, KeyScrambler does not protect against any type of Phishing or malware\websites that capture HTML Post Data. So KeyScrambler is not going to prevent your data from being stolen from within the browser; KeyScrambler protects data against an undetected, installed keylogger.

Zemana is partly signature-based protection = detects keyloggers by signatures; KeyScrambler does not.

Since you are already using Webroot and VooDooShield, KeyScrambler is absolute overkill...

Is it worthwhile ? Yes... if your computing habits are particularly dangerous; No... if you are a typical user.

Reactions: mal1

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
Zemana Anti logger had issues and didn't work with my Battle.Net account login screen, nor with League of Legends login Screen, not with Pale moon, well it works with Pale Moon but my mouse pointer keeps showing up loading icon for intervals of 3 seconds as far as I Keep Pale Moon open which is annoying, lots of issues I found on Zemana Anti-Logger don't reproduce on Keyscrambler Premium. My vote goes for this last one that works with all my software installed on win10, it also has the animation when working which is great. Of course the first one is free, both are good; pick what suits you better!

PD: My latest config

Kaspersky AV16.0.0.614(c)
Comodo FW (Hips and Firewall only) Configured almost the same as Umbra Config
KeyscramblerPremium
All excluded in both security suites
No system performance issues at all.

H

hjlbx

I think Zemana is putting major focus on further developing and refining Zemana Anti-Malware; other products taking back seat at this time. One thing I noticed about ZAL is relatively slow development... then I think they have issue with Microsoft Patch Guard on 64 bit systems.

KeyScrambler is independent of such issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.