Q&A Zipmagic

Hello malwaretipsers. Does anyone use this software?
Code:
http://www.zipmagic.co/index.html
Apart from its archiving features, quite interesting though, it has a very interesting compression feature which made me curious about it.
LZS90 Disk Compression
What do you think of this software?

Good, bad, interesting? BSOD attracter? :D:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon King here, I'm the founder of ZIPmagic.

I understand you have some concerns about my software, and I thought I'd address them personally.

In short:

Yes, there's a lot of malware out there.

No, ZIPmagic is not one of them.

ZIPmagic is based on patent-pending disk optimization technology which you will not find in any other PC utility.

ZIPmagic's disk optimization has three main benefits:

1) Increased disk space - without deleting anything. In fact, a clean Windows 10 64-bit installation is shrunk down to half its normal footprint.

2) Accelerated disk read speeds - even on already very-fast SSD hardware.

3) Improved disk life span - according to S.M.A.R.T. results, a ZIPmagic optimized disk was worn out 20 times less than an unoptimized disk, over a 30 day testing period, with identical OS/software and usage patterns.

Now, you won't find any of these benefits in any other PC utility - including 7-Zip, WinZip, and WinRAR. That's what the patent is for.

People are also reluctant to try out ZIPmagic for themselves. They simply assume that it must be malware, which I repeat, is not the case.

Have you heard of Virtual Machine technology? There's tools like VMware or Hyper-V or VirtualBox, which would let you test ZIPmagic in a "secure sandbox" before you use it on your precious PC.

I'd invite you all to try it out, and see for yourselves how easy and safe it is to use ZIPmagic.

Please don't assume the software is malware. Thanks.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Simon King here, I'm the founder of ZIPmagic.

I understand you have some concerns about my software, and I thought I'd address them personally.

In short:

Yes, there's a lot of malware out there.

No, ZIPmagic is not one of them.

ZIPmagic is based on patent-pending disk optimization technology which you will not find in any other PC utility.

ZIPmagic's disk optimization has three main benefits:

1) Increased disk space - without deleting anything. In fact, a clean Windows 10 64-bit installation is shrunk down to half its normal footprint.

2) Accelerated disk read speeds - even on already very-fast SSD hardware.

3) Improved disk life span - according to S.M.A.R.T. results, a ZIPmagic optimized disk was worn out 20 times less than an unoptimized disk, over a 30 day testing period, with identical OS/software and usage patterns.

Now, you won't find any of these benefits in any other PC utility - including 7-Zip, WinZip, and WinRAR. That's what the patent is for.

People are also reluctant to try out ZIPmagic for themselves. They simply assume that it must be malware, which I repeat, is not the case.

Have you heard of Virtual Machine technology? There's tools like VMware or Hyper-V or VirtualBox, which would let you test ZIPmagic in a "secure sandbox" before you use it on your precious PC.

I'd invite you all to try it out, and see for yourselves how easy and safe it is to use ZIPmagic.

Please don't assume the software is malware. Thanks.
I've had a good look around your website and nothing about it screams malware. There is just too much content for it to be fake.
The product itself looks interesting and has some innovative features like the disk compression and seamless integration with explorer.
That's the good news. The bad news comes when you hit the order button. £60. You must be joking!
I'm sorry but I'm not prepared to pay that much for any software. I thought £45 for Macrium Reflect was high, but it protects my system and is best in class for imaging so I paid it. Also I use it everyday so i'm getting my monies worth.
I would consider splitting ZipMagic into two products. The file compression as one product and the disk compression as another. That way you can make them more affordable and people can buy the product that suits their needs.
I wish you the best of luck with your software as the disk compression feature looks really impressive.

Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, we've gamified the software in the most recent update - so when you install the trial and use it, you will be offered discounts in the range of 30% to 70% - based on how dig you deep into the software. You could therefore be buying the software for as little as $15! That's a terrific bargain, and its intended to incentivize you to try the software.

The list price is $59, BTW - so maybe if you set the ordering currency to USD, and let your bank do the exchange, you'll see an improvement. Unfortunately, all ecommerce vendors have a nasty habit of overcharging exchange rates, which I do not stand for.

Even without the gamification, I do feel the list price is justified. You get what you pay for. For example, you could spend nearly $100 on WinZip tools and accessories - and still not get any of the disk compression that's included inside the box with ZIPmagic. ZIPmagic includes paid-for WinZip extras like Outlook attachment compression in the package. Need I say only ZIPmagic includes transparent file compression (archives as folders) as well? There's many more.

One last note regarding Macrium Reflect...you can actually use ZIPmagic as a generic disk backup/restore tool as well, at least if you use DoubleSpace. DoubleSpace creates a single compressed disk image file (ZIPmagic.wim), which contains your entire disk image (and is extracted to disk in special transparent compression mode). You can then copy this file, for example, to any target computer - and restore it with DoubleSpace. Bingo! You've just re-imaged your system. The same mechanism also let's you "System Refresh" to recover from malware infections in a single click - ZIPmagic.wim is impregnable.

So you see, the list price really is justified, if you consider everything.

Thank you for your support!

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Thanks for your feedback.

Actually, we've gamified the software in the most recent update - so when you install the trial and use it, you will be offered discounts in the range of 30% to 70% - based on how dig you deep into the software. You could therefore be buying the software for as little as $15! That's a terrific bargain, and its intended to incentivize you to try the software.

The list price is $59, BTW - so maybe if you set the ordering currency to USD, and let your bank do the exchange, you'll see an improvement. Unfortunately, all ecommerce vendors have a nasty habit of overcharging exchange rates, which I do not stand for.

Even without the gamification, I do feel the list price is justified. You get what you pay for. For example, you could spend nearly $100 on WinZip tools and accessories - and still not get any of the disk compression that's included inside the box with ZIPmagic. ZIPmagic includes paid-for WinZip extras like Outlook attachment compression in the package. Need I say only ZIPmagic includes transparent file compression (archives as folders) as well? There's many more.

One last note regarding Macrium Reflect...you can actually use ZIPmagic as a generic disk backup/restore tool as well, at least if you use DoubleSpace. DoubleSpace creates a single compressed disk image file (ZIPmagic.wim), which contains your entire disk image (and is extracted to disk in special transparent compression mode). You can then copy this file, for example, to any target computer - and restore it with DoubleSpace. Bingo! You've just re-imaged your system. The same mechanism also let's you "System Refresh" to recover from malware infections in a single click - ZIPmagic.wim is impregnable.

So you see, the list price really is justified, if you consider everything.

Thank you for your support!
Thank you for responding to feedback. I will have to take a deeper look at Zipmagic as it sounds like there may be more to it than I realised.

Thank you for responding to feedback. I will have to take a deeper look at Zipmagic as it sounds like there may be more to it than I realised.
My pleasure!

ZIPmagic is especially interesting today, in light of the raging malware attack on the Internet over the weekend.

The compressed volume file ZIPmagic.WIM is impregnable to all malware attacks. In fact, it would stop any such attack dead in its tracks. While the malware would `think` it is encrypting your files and demanding ransom for decryption, the unmodified original files would be found safely and securely inside the ZIPmagic.WIM file, at the root of your disk.

All you have to do is use the built-in System Refresh option in the software to revert your laptop/tablet to the exact state it was in when you had last compressed it.

Bye-bye malware!

ronald739

@simonking

Which is the easiest way to get support for you program ?

I have tried registering at your forum but I'm not able to answer the the last question what your program does. Could you please send these details via PM ?

We have just released ZIPmagic 17.00 with the following new features and bug fixes:

- Maximum compression strings in the command line override region of the 7-Zip Plug-In have been updated.
- BZIP2, GZIP, and ZIP archive types now have access to Ultra, Fast, and Fastest compression presets in the 7-Zip Plug-In.
- CPU access priorities are now enforced in the 7-Zip Plug-In.
- The 7-Zip Plug-In now has an option to force the use of all CPU cores during the creation of a 7-Zip archive.
- The 7-Zip Plug-In now retains advanced settings such as password usage and header encryption even when using a command line override.
- The default compression profiles for 7-Zip have been updated to leverage the above enhancements as befitting their intended compression grades.
- The self-extractor stubs shipping with the 7-Zip Plug-In have been updated to the latest 7-Zip version.
- Stacker now redirects to use partner Orontes Project's data deduplication services installer, when those services are missing.
- Stacker now disables scheduled data deduplication operation when creating and processing data deduplication drives. This ensures that live data may be safely stored on data deduplicated drives (such as virtual machines, which are extremely compressible).
- DoubleSpace no longer excludes files already contained inside a compressed image file due to low disk space conditions (such files are already safe to include).
- DoubleSpace now offers to skip disk checking before processing a disk when disk checking cannot be conducted successfully due to operating system updates.
- DoubleSpace reminds you to plug in your PC only when you are running on battery power.
- DoubleSpace now shows drive labels only when processing disks (drive letters are subject to temporary reorganization upon reboot).
- DoubleSpace now warns when it may be unsafe to process your disk without a Backup Disk (as may happen in extremely low disk space scenarios).
- DriveSpace now waits for the operating system to finish compressing files when invoked by DoubleSpace in exclusive processing mode (not waiting resulted in marginal loss of compression savings).
- DriveSpace now enforces a group of file exclusions to safely compress Windows 10 disks when using the XPRESS8K and XPRESS16K compression grades (the lack of which resulted in unbootable systems).
- DriveSpace no longer defaults to skip compressing files without the archive attribute set (this resulted in substantial loss of compresssion savings).
- Lempel-Ziv-Simon Integrator saves the corrupted list of files to disk when it finishes checking a disk for corruption.
- The Shell Namespace Extension now properly calculates compression ratios for files inside archives.
- The Shell Namespace Extension no longer appends an incorrect " bytes" string to each file size text.
- The Shell Namespace Extension fixes a couple of stability issues which resulted in unintentional restarts of Windows File Explorer.

@askmark, we are looking for your feedback on this new version.

@ronald739, thank you very much for reporting a bug, which we were able to fix just in time for the new release.

Thank you very much for the positive feedback!

Your encouragement keeps the work going.

We've just rolled out a minor update:

- DiskZIP Offline: Now permits you to change compression grades when re-compressing your disk using a Backup Disk.
- DiskZIP File Compression: Right-click extraction for archives could be delayed by cached network paths, now fixed.

Enjoy!