Q&A Zipmagic

Our partners at Orontes have released the latest version of their Data Deduplication installer for Windows:

www.zipmagic.co/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=201

Normally, to use DiskZIP Max (which is based on data deduplication), you need to install data deduplication services manually.

Our partners at Orontes eliminate this need by taking care of the entire installation for you, now with full compatibility for all 64-bit Windows Desktop versions 8, 8.1, and 10 - including the latest Fall Creators Update - ; all Languages; and of course Windows Server editions 2012, 2012 R2, and 2016.

Best of all, Orontes's Data Deduplication installer is free to everyone with a DiskZIP or ZIPmagic license! Enjoy!!!

Our partners have just released another exciting update, with support for removable drives, among other code optimizations, file system enhancements, and more new code.

Support for removable drives is particularly exciting, because it is not something you can do with Windows *at all*!

They have even more exciting work in progress, even more revolutionary in nature than removable drive support - we can hardly contain our excitement waiting for their updates. ETA is January 2018 for the second batch of enhancements.

Please note, support for removable drive dedup is available *immediately* as of this writing - no need to wait for that at all.

DiskZIP 2018.3 is now available for download. This is a strongly recommended performance update. It fixes the following issues:

o Windows File Explorer was slowed down (sometimes substantially) due to incorrect parsing and handling of EXE files which may have been self-extracting archives. This bug has been fixed.

o Local floppy drives (such as A: or B:) were always polled after having been used as an extraction target once, unnecessarily slowing down future right-click extract operations. This bug has been fixed.

o The archive handler workhorse incorrectly handled error conditions, escalating frivolously to the operating system where errors were internally handled already. This bug has also been fixed.

There have been no changes to the disk compression component of the products in this performance update.

Per a recent request, here is an alpha version of my software which gets data deduplication to work on boot disks as well:

www.zipmagic.co/stacker2.exe

You can find screenshots here:

https://encode.ru/threads/2763-DiskZIP

Very important!

This proof-of-concept alpha build does compress indeed a boot disk with data deduplication, but if you use it, you will *not* be able to install any more Windows Updates on your system, and compatibility with multiple applications may be broken after installation. There is no uninstallation available for this alpha either, so I cannot recommend its use on a production system.

DiskZIP is the premium brand, which is optimized for PC acceleration by default, a very helpful and desirable side-effect of transparent disk compression.

ZIPmagic is the entry level brand, which is optimized for PC compression by default, even if this may cost some speed.

DiskZIP defaults can be overridden to optimize for space instead of speed.

ZIPmagic cannot be overridden to optimize for speed instead of space.

The file compression stack included with both products is identical, and contains $100+ worth of WinZip/WinRAR compatible compression - including advanced options such as self-extract creation, JPEG compression, Outlook attachment compression, secure Outlook compressed attachment previews, etc.

The only differences are on the disk compression side.

DiskZIP will most often accelerate your disk read speeds, even on already very fast NVMe SSD hardware, and much more so on SATA3/SATA2/SATA1 SSDs, and especially on HDDs. You also enjoy more free disk space as a result. Disk write speeds are unaffected.

ZIPmagic will give you the most free space possible (without deleting or moving anything, of course), but you may notice a marginal performance impact when reading files from disk, and a more noticeable performance impact when writing files to disk.

Hi folks!

I got hit by a malware infection recently, I've attached the Word document in question.

Do NOT open this enabling macros etc., otherwise the binary, which I've also attached for your convenience, will extract itself onto your system and start doing stuff. I have labeled both files very clearly as `virus-infected-do-not-open`.

I've reset my system using DiskZIP System Refresh nuking this decisively, but can anyone tell me how much harm this might have done in the meantime?

Thank you very much...

Attachments