Zone Alarm Free Firewall Vs Comodo Free Firewall

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
can any one test both of these firewalls head to head with default settings?

I am using comodo on desktop and zone alarm free firewall on laptop.

Zone alarm is silent never asks for you anything and does its job automatically most of the times.

Comodo on the other hand is advanced and can sandbox all unknown apps to protect the system.

Comodo is buggy but zone alarm firewall is stable.

zone alarm advantage two way firewall
cmodo advantage sandboxing unknown apps

can any one do a test ?

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
You said in your post why comodo is better:

My Comodo Firewall is all time silent until it catches a programm like hard_configurator xD (of course with @cruelsister settings)

askalan i am using cruel sister settings too :) but zone alarm free firewall was rated as the best by many websites (free firewall)
So i want to see who will win.

Reactions: Solarlynx

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
FYI zone alarm uses kaspersky engine for their free antivirus but what about their firewall?

"ZoneAlarm can automatically assign appropriate network permissions to just about any commonly used program. Kaspersky Internet Security uses a similar database of trusted programs and restricts what unknown programs can do."

Reactions: Solarlynx

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
can any one do a test ?
screenshot-from-2017-05-20-15-19-14-png.151418

All credits go to: @Av Gurus

Reactions: budda
T

The paranoid one

For me is better ZoneAlarm, but Comodo is great too
If you want a good firewall, ZoneAlarm is excellent, but if you are looking for a set of tools together (HIPS, Sandbox, Killswitch), then choose Comodo. Of course, you can also use ZoneAlarm, Sandboxie and Process Hacker, or similar software.
I do not use HIPS and I think a lot of us disable this option because it is annoying
But a good firewall is not the same as a good set of tools, the thing you have to think about is what you are looking for.
I now use Comodo, since ZoneAlarm slows down my download soft and Comodo does not, but I have disabled HIPS and only use Sandbox on demand

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
No one uses private firewall anymore ? :D

Privatefirewall features signature-less, behavior-based anti-malware and desktop defense capabilities comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion, viruses and other malware attacks. Beyond unparalleled personal firewall protection, Privatefirewall includes the following layers of proactive, conventional and advanced defense technologies:

- Application Monitor/Manager
- Registry Monitor
- Process Monitor/Manager
- Email Anomaly Analyzer/Manager
- System Anomaly Analyzer

Privatefirewall also detects malware and intrusions based on behaviors characteristic of unauthorized system use. Some of these include:

- Attempts to access a protected registry area
- Attempts to access a protected object
- Attempts to Initiate a foreign process
- Attempts to control Windows service
- Attempts to create a DNS request
- Attempts to initiate outgoing TCP traffic

T

The paranoid one

No one uses private firewall anymore ? :D

Privatefirewall features signature-less, behavior-based anti-malware and desktop defense capabilities comprised of several distinct technology layers designed to block or mitigate the damage caused by intrusion, viruses and other malware attacks. Beyond unparalleled personal firewall protection, Privatefirewall includes the following layers of proactive, conventional and advanced defense technologies:

- Application Monitor/Manager
- Registry Monitor
- Process Monitor/Manager
- Email Anomaly Analyzer/Manager
- System Anomaly Analyzer

Privatefirewall also detects malware and intrusions based on behaviors characteristic of unauthorized system use. Some of these include:

- Attempts to access a protected registry area
- Attempts to access a protected object
- Attempts to Initiate a foreign process
- Attempts to control Windows service
- Attempts to create a DNS request
- Attempts to initiate outgoing TCP traffic
This was a great and lightweight firewall, very secure. The problem is that it is a project abandoned for years, for this reason, I do not recommend using it

212eta

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
May 11, 2011
Code:
[FONT=Courier New]Zone Alarm Free Firewall vs. Comodo Free Firewall[[/FONT]/CODE]
[FONT=Courier New]Comodo by all means. ;)
Robust Protection![/FONT]

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
I don't know much about zone alarm free FW, but is it JUST a FW program?
meaning only related to network protocols and connections? Like windows 10 built in FW does?
If that is the case, then i don't see how you can compare to comodo FW (despite the name, it is much more than just a FW ;) )
unless you disable everything else inside comodo FW and leave only the FW part (disable sandbox, HIPS, etc etc)

once you do that, how do you test which is a better firewall? :confused:
by installing/running lots of other programs and seeing what rules they each make per software by default?
scanning for open ports or something from other computer on same network or outside the network?

if you are talking about detecting malware samples and preventing them from running (like that spreadsheet pic suggests) then unless zone alarm also has some kind of BB HIPS etc then i dont think they can be compared to each other in ways other than network connections allowed/disallowed

If zonealarm free FW does have those types of features also then i can see the reason for comparison. I dont know enough about zone alarm free FW to make educated choice :p lol

budda

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
Zone alarm uses two way firewall and it does not have sandbox option but on pcmag test it was rated as 4.5/5.
I am using it on my laptop and its very good in terms of allowing and blocking threats automatically because it uses kaspersky database.
A lot of people do not know that it uses kaspersky database for both firewall and av and thats why it performs very well. But there is no video out there so requested some one to do a test :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.