Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011

https://www.zonealarm.com/software/release-history/zaxs.html
  • New: Anti-Ransomware
  • New: ZoneAlarm Mobile Security
  • New: Web Secure, blocks phishing attacks and safely download documents in Chrome
  • Fixed: Bug fixes and Improvements
  • Removed: Find My Laptop
  • Removed: Online Backup

Step 1

Level 3
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Hi @RoboMan

It´s working fine here.

ZoneAlarm continues with its eternal struggle with P2P programs, really slows down the computer, but in normal use, it works perfectly.
It's still silent (if you install it in learning mode) and blocks many connections to or from the internet, which I wasn't aware of when I was using Windows Firewall.

I have ZoneAlarm + SecureAPlus+ Comodo Cloud Antivirus and the computer (W10 Pro 1809, intel i5 2nd generation, 8 Gbs RAM) works really smoothly.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
When i tried their free firewall, it had anti-ransomware too ( even it says its paid feature)

Free antivirus + firewall is just same product as the extreme security, just without bloat? Seems theyre like avast!

Company from israel is as big nightmare for someone that is arguing about kaspersky being russian product

Zonealarm is fine product, but sadly not so many uses it these days, would be fun to see it on malware hub....but thats just another kaspersky signatures detection wise...their firewall + application control it has is powerfull thought

Step 1

Level 3
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
When i tried their free firewall, it had anti-ransomware too ( even it says its paid feature)

Free antivirus + firewall is just same product as the extreme security, just without bloat? Seems theyre like avast!
There is no significant improvement. When I had the Extreme version, there were components that I really don't know if they worked or not. Basically, the only improvement that is really worth it is "Real-Time Cloud Security",
Here's a comparison of their products

Is the firewall decent and worth using these days?
Well, that depends on your online habits. Actually, the Windows firewall is very good, if you don't want/need anything else, don't change it.
ZoneAlarm is silent, works very well without disturbing with continuous messages and in many firewall tests (if you are one of those who believes in the reviews) say it is the best firewall free.
Try it, it's free. It's a redoubt of the old guard. I like that

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
i am using it and it is a huge improvement in browsing speed and overall is lighter. i am glad they removed the bloat and included anti ransomware. Mobile version is a fine bonus . i like it so far. the computer is very responsive.and it is a very old one

Rebsat

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Based on their site...
"ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 is compatible with MS Windows Defender, and is also compatible with all other antivirus solutions."

Now, I am asking...
Q1: Can I run ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 along with Kaspersky Security Cloud Free? Is there any incompatibility? @harlan4096@Gandalf_The_Grey

Q2: I already know that Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (Binisoft) is not a firewall but do you think that ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 offers better protection over Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (Binisoft)?
@sepik

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Q1: Can I run ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 along with Kaspersky Security Cloud Free? Is there any incompatibility? @harlan4096@Gandalf_The_Grey

I haven't tried that combo, but probably Kaspersky will take ZA FW as an incompatible application... just try and let us know :giggle: -> install 1st Kaspersky and then ZA FW to avoid issues...

Step 1

Level 3
Verified
Sep 17, 2018
Based on their site...
"ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 is compatible with MS Windows Defender, and is also compatible with all other antivirus solutions."

Now, I am asking...

Q2: I already know that Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (Binisoft) is not a firewall but do you think that ZoneAlarm Free Firewall 2019 offers better protection over Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control (Binisoft)?
@sepik

Thanks in advance.

If you install first the antivirus and then the firewall there should be no problem and less with Kaspersky which is the engine that uses ZoneAlarm for its antivirus. I don't remember having problems in the past with this combo

About quality, If we talk about firewall, just what is a firewall, ZoneAlarm is a little better than Windows Firewall, TinyWall, Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control are utilities to work more comfortably with Windows Firewall.

ZoneAlarm is not perfect, like any security utility, it can also be neutralized by some malware. I am a strong supporter of ZoneAlarm, its simplicity and comfort make it one of my favorite tools, now well, just this morning I uninstalled it on my system. Why?, well, if I want to listen on a radio station a program that has already emitted, ZoneAlarm will not allow it and if you use P2P programs, you will notice how it lowers the performance of your system in a way that with Windows Firewall or Comodo Firewall does not occur.

In the end, you only have to think about how you use your computer. If you don't share in the P2P way, you don't listen to programs on hold and you don't want to be disturbed by your firewall choose ZoneAlarm.
If you're paranoid (I've been paranoid and I'm not sure I'm not it now) Comodo Firewall (everyone recommends Cruel Sister config.) and activating HIPS.
But if you are a responsible and knowledgeable user of your habits Windows firewall + Kaspersky cloud free is ok. You can always add Voodooshield or SecureAPlus or OSArmor free to feel more secure against ransomware.

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
I'm currently testing the ZoneAlarm Extreme Security trial version and I'm quite disappointed. It doesn't have as many features as you'd expect from a security suite, and the full scan took almost 3 hours to get to 10%, then my PC became unresponsive, I paused the scan, and when I tried to click the continue button, it refused to resume. Clicking the cancel button didn't do anything either.

I had high hopes for ZoneAlarm. :(

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Does anybody know about the Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm connection? I mean, Fabian Wosar of Emsisoft said in the forum that before Emsisoft chose Bitdefender as their signature provider, they also considered Kaspersky but they don't do this kind of deal. So, how come ZoneAlarm?

Reactions: Divine_Barakah

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
@alakazam Are you using a main-powered desktop PC or a battery-powered Laptop?
A main-powered PC with 16 GB of RAM.

ZoneAlarm stopped working altogether, so I uninstalled it, but it left a folder on my PC called CheckPoint and it won't let me delete it. It contains a bunch of other folders containing files belonging to the anti-ransomware tool. Where should I ask for assistance? The ZoneAlarm forums are useless. Can someone from MalwareTips help me?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.