ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.768.000 released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legdotus

Jul 1, 2012
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.018 released

I'm only using the firewall, as I use avast for AV purposes along with MBAM, and I can say the firewall in itself is uber light.

zlpx6.png

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.020 released

ZoneAlarm version 11.0.000.020 released:

Improved: AV engine
Fixed issue: Installer screens not displayed properly on some systems

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Enjoy!!:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.038 released

ZoneAlarm version 11.0.000.038 released:

-New: Do Not Track
-New: Facebook Privacy Scan
-Added: Firefox 17.0.1 support
-Improved: AV Behavioral Scanning Engine

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html#11.0.000.038

Download (ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall)
Download (ZoneAlarm Free Firewall)

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

This causes me to lag on certain pages such as facebook and yahoo. Any reason why? The page would freeze the whole browser and sometimes crash.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
This causes me to lag on certain pages such as facebook and yahoo. Any reason why? The page would freeze the whole browser and sometimes crash.

Did you install just the firewall or the firewall with AV?
Are you using any other security products with it?
Do you install the security toolbar to your browsers? If so get rid of it because it is junk. The new ZoneAlarm version of Do Not Track Plus is also junk, Ghostery is much better. However Facebook Privacy Scan can be very useful to most users but could cause lags on Facebook and other sites that use Facebook models.

This is the first version of ZoneAlarm that gave me problems while upgrading. The web setup keep failing to download the installer package.
After several attempts and two reboots, I finally successfully got it upgraded. I was disappointed that the Advanced Download Protection is not working with the latest Firefox or Google Chrome even though the changelogs says it is compatible. Works great with IE, but I don't use it.

Every software vendor releases buggy upgrades from time to time and this is a good example of one. The Behavioral Scanning and OSFirewall got some improvements on this release because it is not a total failure.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

Nope installed none of those... After I turn off it the pages load fast again!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
Nope installed none of those... After I turn off it the pages load fast again!

You must have another security product that is interfering with it.
I have no slowdowns at all.

Go to the Identity & Data tab- Web Identity Protection- settings-
Untick- "Enable anti-phishing (signature)" and "Enable anti-phishing (heuristics)"

You might have another security product installed that already offers web protection and it could cause problems. If you don't have any other security products installed, then there is the possibility that when you uninstalled your previous security products, they left behind drivers which are causing problems (Comodo is known to leave behind a bunch of junk which causing problems when you decide to use another product). Try running removal tools like AppRemover for your previously installed security products.

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

Nope, had nothing running! I always do a system image restore when I remove security apps so there can definitely be no remanents.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
Nope, had nothing running! I always do a system image restore when I remove security apps so there can definitely be no remanents.

Maybe it is just your system, besides of the few bugs that I mentioned it is running very light and no slowdowns at all on my system.

Did changing the Web Identity Protection settings make any difference?

You never answered my question are you using the firewall or the AV + firewall? Are you using another AV instead?

Thanks.:D

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

I'm using the AV+ firewall. Didn't help to change the Web identity settings ;(

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
I'm using the AV+ firewall. Didn't help to change the Web identity settings ;(

I suggest go make a post on the ZoneAlarm Forum that is the only support provided for their free products.

Go to your Start Menu- Programs- CheckPoint- ZoneAlarm- click "ZoneAlarm Diagnostics Tool".

Select all logging options, no need to select crash dumps options since that is not your problem. Then click "OK" let it record data for several hours as you browse the web. Then restore the ZoneAlarm Diagnostics Tool from your taskbar and select 'Collect Data" enter your email address leave default options enabled and click "OK".

CheckPoint will contact you by email when there is a solution.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.054 released

ZoneAlarm version 11.0.000.054 released:

Fixed: Compatibility issue with XP SP2
Fixed: Parental controls installation exception error.
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

Tried new version, and it is great with no startup slowdowns and no browsing problems!

havok

Verified
Mar 12, 2013

Anyone knows which Kaspersky engine is used in latest version of ZA AV ? Is it the latest one - 12 or 13 - or an "old" one instead ?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

havok said:
Anyone knows which Kaspersky engine is used in latest version of ZA AV ? Is it the latest one - 12 or 13 - or an "old" one instead ?

ZoneAlarm uses v.8.3.0 because it is much lighter then newer Kaspersky AV engines and implements more easily into a AV module but it uses the same signatures as current Kaspersky products.

The real-time components (AV, ForceField, Advanced Download Manager, DefenseNet behavior blocker and Browser Web Security) are developed by Checkpoint and are handled by the Vsmon component which uses Kaspersky signatures. The on-demand and scheduled scans use the Kaspersky AV engine.

So the real-time is different than Kaspersky and may have a little different results since both design their own real-time components (both are excellent just different approach). But running an on-demand or schedule scan should give you the exact same results on both products.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.504 released

ZoneAlarm version 11.0.000.504 released:
Added: Windows 8 - ELAM protection (Early Launch Anti-Malware)
Updated: Antivirus Engine (Kaspersky)
Improved: Rootkit detection

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
ZoneAlarm version 11.0.768.000 Final released:

ZoneAlarm version 11.0.768.000:
New: Updated AV Engine.
New: Web scanner - blocks web threats before they reach your browser or hard drive. Additional web protection (ie traffic scanning)
nnt.png

New: Forcefield removed, replaced with new and improved Site Check technology and security toolbar.
New: Latest version of Firefox is supported
Improved: Stability and performance enhancements.

Please note: Do NOT download from Cnet Download.com since their installer includes a bunch of extra adware.

Since they removed Forcefield with the Advanced Download protection, the security toolbar is now required with includes Anti-Phishing, Site Check, Facebook security/privacy and DoNotTrackMe provided by Abine.

The toolbar can be easily disabled or hidden on your browser(s). If you don't want the extra protection.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
A little update to the latest version:

My impression- what was CheckPoint thinking?

The latest version is very buggy, it disables copy and paste features from Firefox and Internet Explorer. It slows down system startup and makes most programs run slower as well. Still does not fully support the latest Firefox.

The toolbar is a complete joke, most of the features don't work and is still not compatible with the latest Firefox. Why they removed Forcefield with the Advanced Download protection and replaced it with this crappy toolbar is beyond me since that was its best protection feature.

The Web scanner blocked every malicious site and file that I tried to load but it slows down browsing too much.

Uninstalled because the problems got too much to handle.

Why are all of the firewalls turning into crap?

I just installed Privatefirewall at default settings since I don't want to have deal with advanced features, blocking trusted programs and pop ups.

It seems to be running very well, no slow downs. Hopefully this will work for me. If not it will have to be Windows Firewall with Advanced Security. I miss the old ZoneAlarm it was the best firewall I used since Sygate.

Thanks.:D

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
starchild76 said:
Just installed the free zonealarm suite ( av + firewall ) , for the hay of it....
Its not light in any way on my system , it feels really heavy on system start up , opening up of chrome takes much longer too and the memory ussage : 54% - 67% so its really sucking the life out of my system : going to uninstall ASAP!!!! really , really dissapointed with this software :mad:

I really do not understand this fascination with ram usage.You have extra ram so why not use it.?

50-60% ram usage is nothing as you have 40% ram free doing nothing at all.
If you wish to only use a certain amount of ram then maybe you should purchase a machine with only 2gb of ram etc.

Thanks.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.