Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
New in ZoneAlarm version 11.0.018.000:

Added: Windows 8 compatibility
Added: Firefox 16 support
Fixed: Java 7 compatibility

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/information/znalm/zaReleaseHistory.html

Download (ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus + Firewall)
Download (ZoneAlarm Free Firewall)

Limitations in Free version:
* Automatic Antivirus signature updates limited to only once every 24 hours, however you can manually update signatures anytime.
* No Parental Controls
* No Support
* Does not include Virtual Browsing
* ZoneAlarm is FREE for individual and not-for-profit charitable entity use (excluding governmental entities and educational institutions).

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
RE: ZoneAlarm Free Version: 11.0.000.018 released

KelvinW4 said:
Anybody using this? Is this light?

I am not using it but tried it before and its not light

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
Anybody using this? Is this light?

Are you talking about just the firewall or the AV+firewall.

Latest versions of both are very light, of coarse the AV is a bit heavier since it uses Kaspersky engine but still lighter then using the latest Kaspersky AV. The firewall is about the same as using any other third-party firewall but appears to run lighter than most when downloading torrents and doesn't decrease download speeds.

If you have a newer system you will probably not notice any slow system response.

ZoneAlarm is my favorite firewall because it never has issues with blocking trusted program, bugs, causing system errors and upgrades to newer versions without having to uninstall, reinstall, export/import configuration. Has its own download manager that checks each download for malware before it can touch your system.

Thanks.:D

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

vsmon.exe uses 200mb the last time I used it :(

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
vsmon.exe uses 200mb the last time I used it :(

image001vk.png

As you can see by the image how light it is now.

The Peak Working Set was while I was downloading torrents because it is a bit higher than usual.

ZoneAlarm uses less resources then Windows Explorer and Windows Desktop Gadgets.

Enjoy!!:D

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011

Memory shows to be a lot tamer now.
Good to see :)

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

I may consider this! I loved it before. Thanks for the image!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

KelvinW4 said:
I got error 1619 trying to install it :(

Did you try to install just the firewall or the firewall with AV?

The AV is not compatible with other AV's.

Did you completely uninstall other security software first and reboot your system before running the installer? No other security software running in real-time?

Try running AppRemover, reboot your system then download a fresh copy of the installer and try again. The installer requires internet access to download the setup files.

Good luck.:D

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

This is a completely new system here; I see a case reported 18 hours ago on forums :l

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011

This have something to do with your windows firewall. Turn off your windows firewall and try downloading ZoneAlarm again and install it. If fail use the offline installer of ZoneAlarm.

Thanks

S

starchild76

Just installed the free zonealarm suite ( av + firewall ) , for the hay of it....
Its not light in any way on my system , it feels really heavy on system start up , opening up of chrome takes much longer too and the memory ussage : 54% - 67% so its really sucking the life out of my system : going to uninstall ASAP!!!! really , really dissapointed with this software :mad:

D

Deleted member 178

low memory usage not necessary means light on system responsiveness...

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

The main thing I hate about ZA is every pc I have used it on when I try to reboot or shut down it stalls (my icons go away if you hover them (in systray) but windows won't shut down...this only happens with ZA.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

sushiman said:
Just installed the free zonealarm suite ( av + firewall ) , for the hay of it....
Its not light in any way on my system , it feels really heavy on system start up , opening up of chrome takes much longer too and the memory ussage : 54% - 67% so its really sucking the life out of my system : going to uninstall ASAP!!!! really , really dissapointed with this software :mad:

You have to allow it to scan your all of your files after the first install, once it gets done, it is extremely light. The first scan can take hours to complete depending on how many files you have on your hard drives. While scanning it uses a lot of background CPU. That is about the only thing that would explain the resource usage that you described.

You probably didn't allow it enough time before you got disappointed.
A full system scan is a part of the setup, if you don't let it complete it will keep trying each time you reboot your system, no way to stop it.

I'm running it on an old XP system from 2002, single core processor and only 512MB RAM and I don't even notice any system lags unless I run several processes at the same time. Surely your system is in better condition.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011

MRF71 said:
The main thing I hate about ZA is every pc I have used it on when I try to reboot or shut down it stalls (my icons go away if you hover them (in systray) but windows won't shut down...this only happens with ZA.

This used to be an annoying bug on older versions mainly v.8.0.
However I have not experienced it for several years now. I hope that it doesn't come back again. However if you still experience it, you can simply right click on ZoneAlarm taskbar icon and select "Exit" before you reboot or Shutdown your system and the problem is solved.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

It happened a few months ago, i'll keep that in mind

KelvinW4

Level 1
May 8, 2012

Looks like it's just the installer - the web one works fine.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012

Will it slow down the computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.