Lightning SpeedDial is a browser extension, which is promoted via other free downloads, and once installed it will change your browser homepage to Lightning SpeedDial NewTab.
Lightning SpeedDial will display advertisements and sponsored links in your search results, and may collect search terms from your search queries. The Lightning SpeedDial hijack is used to boost advertising revenue, as in the use of blackhat SEO, to inflate a site’s page ranking in search results.
Lightning SpeedDial homepage was installed by an an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer (BHO) and Firefox/Chrome (plugin) and distributed through various monetization platforms during installation. The browser extension includes various features that will modify the default or custom settings of the browser including the home page, search settings and in some cases will modify Internet Explorer’s load time threshold, place a lock file within Firefox to prevent competing software from changing its settings as well as disable the browser’s Content Security Policy in order to allow for cross site scripting of the plugin. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Lightning SpeedDial is a virus.
Lightning SpeedDial got on your computer after you have installed a freeware software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this browser hijacker. Very often users have no idea where did it come from, so it’s not surprising at all that most of them assume that Lightning SpeedDial is a virus.
For example, when you install the “Fast Free Converter” program, you will also agree to change your browser homepage Lightning SpeedDial NewTab.
However when you uninstall the “Fast Free Converter” program from your computer, your web browser’s default settings will not be restored. This means that you’ll have to remove Lightning SpeedDial from your favorite web browser manually.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this Lightning SpeedDial browser hijacker. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
How to remove Lightning SpeedDial browser hijacker (Virus Removal Guide)
This page is a comprehensive guide, which will remove Lightning SpeedDial from your Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome.
Please perform all the steps in the correct order. If you have any questions or doubt at any point, STOP and ask for our assistance.
STEP 1: Remove Lightning SpeedDial extension from Internet Explore, Firefox and Google Chrome
STEP 2: Remove Lightning SpeedDial browser hijacker from your computer with AdwCleaner
STEP 3: Remove Lightning SpeedDial malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
STEP 4: Double-check for the Lightning SpeedDial infection with HitmanPro
STEP 1: Remove Lightning SpeedDial extension from Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome
Remove Lightning SpeedDial from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer, click on the gear icon (Tools for Windows XP users) at the top (far right), then click again on Internet Options.
- In the Internet Options dialog box, click on the Advanced tab, then click on the Reset button.
- In the Reset Internet Explorer settings section, check the Delete personal settings box, then click on Reset.
- When Internet Explorer finishes resetting, click Close in the confirmation dialogue box and then click OK.
- Close and open Internet Explorer.
Remove Lightning SpeedDial from Mozilla Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help sub-menu (on Windows XP, click the Help menu at the top of the Firefox window), and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Click the Reset Firefox button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
- To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.
- Firefox will close and be reset. When it’s done, a window will list the information that was imported. Click Finish
Remove Lightning SpeedDial from Google Chrome
- Remove Lightning SpeedDial extensions from Google Chrome.
Click the Chrome menu button on the browser toolbar, select Tools and then click on Extensions.
- In the Extensions tab, remove the Lightning SpeedDial 1.1.8 any other unknown extensions, by clicking the trash can icon.
STEP 2: Remove Lightning SpeedDial browser hijacker with AdwCleaner
The AdwCleaner utility will scan your computer for Lightning SpeedDial malicious files that may have been installed on your computer without your knowledge.
- You can download AdwCleaner utility from the below link.
ADWCLEANER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download AdwCleaner on your computer)
- Before starting AdwCleaner, close all open programs and internet browsers, then double-click on the AdwCleaner icon.
If Windows prompts you as to whether or not you wish to run AdwCleaner, please allow it to run.
- When the AdwCleaner program will open, click on the Scan button as shown below.
AdwCleaner will now start to search for Lightning SpeedDial malicious files that may be installed on your computer.
- To remove the Lightning SpeedDial malicious files that were detected in the previous step, please click on the Clean button.
AdwCleaner will now prompt you to save any open files or data as the program will need to reboot the computer. Please do so and then click on the OK button.
STEP 3: Remove Lightning SpeedDial malicious files from your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link,then double click on it to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process.
Do not make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab, select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes scan will be completed,click on Show Result.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected.Please note that the infections found may be different than what is shown in the image.Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked) and click on the Remove Selected button.
STEP 4: Double check for the Lightning SpeedDial infection with HitmanPro
HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).
- You can download HitmanPro from the below link, then double click on it to start this program.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for malware, as seen in the image below.
- Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove these malicious files.
- Click Activate free licenseto start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
Your computer should now be free of the Lightning SpeedDial infection. If your current anti-virus solution let this infection through, you may want to consider purchasing the PRO version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to protect against these types of threats in the future.
If you are still experiencing problems while trying to remove Lightning SpeedDial hijacker from your machine, please start a new thread in our Malware Removal Assistance forum.