“System Repair” is a computer virus, which pretends to be a diagnostic and repair program, and claims that several hard driver errors were detected on your computer.If you try to repair these hard drive issues, System Repair will state that you need to buy its full version before being able to do so.
Apart from the bogus scan results, System Repair will display other fake security alerts that are designed to make you think that your hard drive is failing or has become corrupt. These messages may include:
Hard drive boot sector reading error
System blocks were not found
Error while relocating TARE sectors
Error 0 – DATA_BUS_ERROR
Error 0x00000078 – INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Error 0x00000050 – PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
The storage device has failed a self-test
The self-test procedure of the storage device has detected an irreparable errors.
SMART state is “Out of order” before the disk scan
In reality, none of the reported issues are real, and their only purpose is to scare you into thinking your hard drive is failing so that you will purchase this rogue security product.
As part of its self-defense mechanism, System Repair has disabled the Windows system utilities, including the Windows Task Manager and Registry Editor, and will block you from running certain programs that could lead to its removal.
This rogue antivirus has also modified your Windows files associations, and now whenever you are trying to open a program, System Repair will block this action and display a bogus notification in which will report that the file is corrupted or missing.
Windows detected a hard drive problem.
A hard drive error occurred while starting the application.
Windows cannot find iexplore.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
Furthermore, to make its alert seem more authentic, System Repair has changed your desktop background to a solid black color, has hidden your files and folders and delete your Windows shortcuts.If your computer is infected with System Repair virus, it is important that you do not delete any files from your Temp folder or use any system maintenance tools. This is because when the infection is installed it will delete shortcuts found in various locations and store backups of them in the %Temp%\smtmp folder.
If your computer is infected with System Repair virus,then you are seeing the following screens:
System Repair is a scam, and you should ignore any alerts that this malicious software might generate.
Under no circumstance should you buy this rogue security software as this could lead to identity theft,and if you have, you should contact your bank and dispute the charge stating that the program is a scam and a computer virus.
Registration codes for System Repair
As an optional step,you can use any of the following license keys to register System Repair and stop the fake alerts.
System Repair activation code:
Please keep in mind that entering the above registration code will NOT remove System Repair from your computer , instead it will just stop the fake alerts so that you’ll be able to complete our removal guide more easily.
System Repair – Virus Removal Instructions
STEP 1 : Start your computer in Safe Mode with Networking
- Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.
- Press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts.Please keep in mind that you need to press the F8 key before the Windows start-up logo appears.
Note: With some computers, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you will get a stuck key message. If this occurs, instead of pressing and holding the “F8 key”, tap the “F8 key” continuously until you get the Advanced Boot Options screen.
- On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking , and then press ENTER.
STEP 2: Run RKill to terminate known malware processes associated with System Repair.
RKill is a program that will attempt to terminate all malicious processes associated with System Repair, so that we will be able to perform the next step without being interrupted by this malicious software.
Because this utility will only stop System Repair running process, and does not delete any files, after running it you should not reboot your computer as any malware processes that are configured to start automatically will just be started again.
- While your computer is in Safe Mode with Networking ,please download the latest official version of RKill.Please note that we will use a renamed version of RKILL so that System Repair won’t block this utility from running.
RKILL DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RKILL renamed as iExplore.exe)
- Double click on iExplore.exe to start RKill and stop any processes associated with System Repair.
- RKill will now start working in the background, please be patient while the program looks for various malware programs and tries to terminate them.
IF you are having problems starting or running RKill, you can download any other renamed versions of RKill from here.
- When Rkill has completed its task, it will generate a log. You can then proceed with the rest of the guide.
WARNING: Do not reboot your computer after running RKill as the malware process will start again , preventing you from properly performing the next step.
STEP 3: Remove System Repair malicious files with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a powerful on-demand scanner which will remove System Repair malicious files from your computer.
- You can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free from the below link,then double-click on it to install this program.
MALWAREBYTES ANTI-MALWARE DOWNLOAD LINK(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free)
- When the installation begins, keep following the prompts in order to continue with the setup process.
DO NOT make any changes to default settings and when the program has finished installing, make sure you leave both the Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware checked,then click on the Finish button.
- On the Scanner tab,select Perform quick scan and then click on the Scan button to start scanning your computer.
- Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start scanning your computer for System Repair malicious files as shown below.
- When the Malwarebytes scan will be completed,click on Show Result.
- You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected.Please note that the infections found may be different from what is shown in the image.Make sure that everything is Checked (ticked) and click on the Remove Selected button.
- After your computer will restart in Normal mode, open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and perform a Full System scan to verify that there are no remaining threats
STEP 4: Restore your shortcuts and remove any left over malicious registry keys with RogueKiller
System Repair has moved your shortcuts files in the Temporary Internet folder and added some malicious registry keys to your Windows installation , to restore your files we will need to perform a scan with RogueKiller.
- This step can be performed in Normal Mode, download the latest official version of RogueKiller from the below link.
ROGUEKILLER DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download RogueKiller on your computer)
- Double click on RogueKiller.exe to start this utility and then wait for the Prescan to complete.This should take only a few seconds, then click on the Scan button to perform a system scan.
- After the scan has completed, press the Delete button to remove any malicious registry keys or files.
- Next we will need to restore your shortcuts, click on the ShortcutsFix button and allow the program to run.
STEP 5: Remove System Repair rootkit with HitmanPro
In some cases,System Repair will also install a rootkit on victims computer.To remove this rootkit we will use HitmanPro.
- Download HitmanPro from the below link,then double-click on it to start this program.
HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will open a new web page from where you can download HitmanPro)
IF you are experiencing problems while trying to start HitmanPro, you can use the Force Breach mode.To start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode, hold down the left CTRL key when you start HitmanPro and all non-essential processes are terminated, including the malware process. (How to start HitmanPro in Force Breach mode – Video)
- HitmanPro will start and you’ll need to follow the prompts (by clicking on the Next button) to start a system scan with this program.
- HitmanPro will start scanning your computer for System Repair malicious files as seen in the image below.
- Once the scan is complete,you’ll see a screen which will display all the infected files that this utility has detected, and you’ll need to click on Next to remove this malicious files.
- Click Activate free license to start the free 30 days trial and remove all the malicious files from your computer.
STEP 6: Unhide your files and folders
System Repair modifies your file system in such a way that all files and folders become hidden, to restore the default settings, you’ll need to run the below program.
- Download the Unhide utility, to recover your files and folders.
UNHIDE.EXE DOWNLOAD LINK (This link will automatically download the Unhide utility on your computer)
- Double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run.The whole process should not take more than 10 minutes to complete.
STEP 7: Get your desktop look back!
System Repair changes your desktop background to a solid black color,to change it back to default one follow the below instruction.
- Windows XP : Click on the Start button and then select Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens, please click on the Display icon. From this screen you can now change your Theme and desktop background.
- Windows Vista, 7 and 8 : Click on the Start button and then select Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens, please click on the Appearance and Personalization category. Then select Change the Theme or Change Desktop Background to revert back to your original Theme and colors.