Question Are Kaspersky Backups encrypted? How secure is DropBox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
What encryption type and level do Kaspersky Backup And Restore instances use? Is DropBox safe? Why is there no Google Drive or OneDrive integration with the Kaspersky Total Security suite?

Also, are those backups password-encrypted?

Reactions: Dave Russo

jackee

May 14, 2024
What encryption type and level do Kaspersky Backup And Restore instances use? Is DropBox safe? Why is there no Google Drive or OneDrive integration with the Kaspersky Total Security suite?

Kaspersky Backup & Restore typically employs AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) encryption, a widely used symmetric encryption algorithm known for its security and efficiency. As for the encryption level, it's likely to vary based on the specific implementation by Kaspersky, but commonly used levels include AES-128, AES-192, and AES-256, with AES-256 being the most secure.

Reactions: Jack
F

ForgottenSeer 109138

Are these important sensitive personal files?

If so why store them in the cloud when you can create a vault on a external drive with something like bitlocker. You could encrypt the entire external drive and exclude access to it.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Veracrypt is your friend. If absolutely must store in the cloud, I use and suggest Mega.io. It makes no sense to me why backup has to be a part of an antimalware. It shouldn't. Let Kaspersky do what Kaspersky does best, keep your system clean. Find a backup utility you trust, and let that do what it does best.

Studynxx

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2023
Are these important sensitive personal files?

If so why store them in the cloud when you can create a vault on a external drive with something like bitlocker. You could encrypt the entire external drive and exclude access to it.
Yes, they are. And yes, you're right, but I think of DropBox as a secondary/tertiary/quaternary way of storage and that's why I want to make sure in case Dropbox is hacked they still won't be accessed due to encryption

Reactions: Dave Russo

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Yes, they are. And yes, you're right, but I think of DropBox as a secondary/tertiary/quaternary way of storage and that's why I want to make sure in case Dropbox is hacked they still won't be accessed due to encryption
The best way would be to create one simple text document, back it up and see how it is stored. Is it another file name and format or is it the same exact copy? That’s how you will find out.

AlexanderB01

May 19, 2024
What are the category of type of sensitive information of your sensitive files?

cofer123

Level 3
Sep 7, 2021
My in-house GUI applications, 100's of self-made scripts for Windows, powershell and batch. For the most part. Some University documents
Since you know your way around writing your own code, take a look at rclone and its crypt remotes. You can use any cloud storage you like and have your data encrypted in-transit without the need of trusting a third-party to secure your data.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.