Question Blocking annoying Acrobat reader demo pdf downloads

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RRlight

Level 1
Thread author
May 11, 2024
Starting from 10th this month more or less, Adobe Acrobat Reader (probably, according to the file and link) has been trying to download 2 demo PDFs every day from its website through the links below.

屏幕截图 2024-05-15 205129.png
屏幕截图 2024-05-15 205144.png

The pdfs briefly:
005948lm8yvupmkkyezvuj.png.thumb.jpg
005933u3sk1zsxx3330ys7.png.thumb.jpg

Since I have Internet Download Manager, the links always toggle the IDM, then it pops out the download task window. This happens almost once every day, so quite annoying.

I tried to use hosts file, but the problem here is that:

If I use

127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com

it could block the files but it also blocks the official website for Acrobat.

If I use

127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/* 127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo.pdf 0.0.0.0 https://acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo.pdf 127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo/verb-compress-pdf/demo-compressed-high.pdf 0.0.0.0 https://acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo/verb-compress-pdf/demo-compressed-high.pdf

it's not blocking anything.

Any way to block those files or download attempts but not Acrobat official website?

Attachments

• 屏幕截图 2024-05-15 205129.png
    屏幕截图 2024-05-15 205129.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 23

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Starting from 10th this month more or less, Adobe Acrobat Reader (probably, according to the file and link) has been trying to download 2 demo PDFs every day from its website through the links below.

View attachment 283384View attachment 283385

The pdfs briefly:
005948lm8yvupmkkyezvuj.png.thumb.jpg
005933u3sk1zsxx3330ys7.png.thumb.jpg

Since I have Internet Download Manager, the links always toggle the IDM, then it pops out the download task window. This happens almost once every day, so quite annoying.

I tried to use hosts file, but the problem here is that:

If I use

127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com

it could block the files but it also blocks the official website for Acrobat.

If I use

127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/* 127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo.pdf 0.0.0.0 https://acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo.pdf 127.0.0.1 acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo/verb-compress-pdf/demo-compressed-high.pdf 0.0.0.0 https://acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo/verb-compress-pdf/demo-compressed-high.pdf

it's not blocking anything.

Any way to block those files or download attempts but not Acrobat official website?
One possible solution to block the annoying Acrobat Reader demo PDF downloads without affecting the official Acrobat website is to use a browser extension that allows you to block specific URLs. You can add the URLs of the demo PDFs to the block list in the extension settings. This way, whenever the browser tries to access those specific URLs, the extension will prevent the download from starting.

Another option is to create a custom rule in your firewall or security software to block the specific URLs of the demo PDFs. By adding these URLs to the block list, you can prevent any download attempts from those links while still allowing access to the official Acrobat website.

If you are familiar with using browser developer tools, you can also try inspecting the elements on the webpage that trigger the download and use ad blockers or custom scripts to block those elements from loading.

These methods should help you block the unwanted demo PDF downloads while keeping access to the official Acrobat website intact.

Reactions: Jack

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Only top-level domains can be blocked in hosts, meaning it doesn't support any complex rules or links. Only acrobat.adobe.com or adobe.com. You will need a third-party firewall if you want to block these two files specifically. Eset, for example, supports this. I think it can be done in some free PortMaster, but I'm not sure. It would be easier to come up with a solution if you understand what exactly is triggering the download and how. Does it happen when you start Adobe Acrobat or whenever you restart the system?

• +Reputation
Reactions: Jack

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
See my reply at K. Community:

RRlight

Level 1
Thread author
May 11, 2024
Only top-level domains can be blocked in hosts, meaning it doesn't support any complex rules or links. Only acrobat.adobe.com or adobe.com. You will need a third-party firewall if you want to block these two files specifically. Eset, for example, supports this. I think it can be done in some free PortMaster, but I'm not sure. It would be easier to come up with a solution if you understand what exactly is triggering the download and how. Does it happen when you start Adobe Acrobat or whenever you restart the system?
I'm not quite sure how this download is triggered. This happens at random times. I'm using Edge to read PDFs rather than Acrobat Reader itself (so I myself didn't start Adobe Acrobat), though Edge is now also supported by Acrobat in terms of PDF reading. I complained about this download the first time it appeared in another forum and was told normally software should download the files silently and not invoke IDM, adobe is just not careful about that.

RRlight

Level 1
Thread author
May 11, 2024
Reactions: harlan4096

RRlight

Level 1
Thread author
May 11, 2024
Just an update, I noticed recently that it tries to download around 19.20 every day. I installed Acrobat but not using it (excluding I'm using Edge reading pdf)

RRlight

Level 1
Thread author
May 11, 2024
Final Update:
Solved with Adguard, the following rule:
||acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo.pdf$document
||acrobat.adobe.com/dc-home2-dropin/demo-files/en-US/demo/verb-compress-pdf/demo-compressed-high.pdf$document

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.