Question Which Windows 11 Pre-Installed Microsoft Apps You Remove on Every New Install?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

lokamoka820

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 1, 2024
A default installation of Windows 11 includes dozens of Microsoft apps. Which ones are worth keeping, and which ones should you uninstall?

Reactions: Dave Russo

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You can carefully prep your setup, harden it and install all necessary applications and so on, then make a golden drive image. Then you can simply re-image with that golden image whenever you need a clean machine, no? No tradeoffs necessary.
This sounds really good, any link you recommend that shows how to do this?

Reactions: vtqhtr413

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I got rid of the in-built and new apps, except for these few.

App Installer
Calculator
HEIF Image Extension
HEVC Video Extensions from Device Manufacturer
Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Store
Paint
Raw Image Extension
Store Experience Host
VP9 Video Extensions
Web Media Extensions
Web Image Extensions
Windows Notepad
Windows Security
Windows Web Experience Pack
Windows Terminal

You wouldn't need those extensions if you are using a good media player like PotPlayer or an image viewer like FastStone/noMacs

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I have all three installed and no signs of Copilot.

Well, one less thing I have to disable... 😆
Click Start->Type "installed apps" and check if you have Microsoft CoPilot and Windows CoPilot MSIX pack over there.

Have you disabled the icon on taskbar? Right click on taskbar->taskbar settings->check if you have CoPilot in Windows (preview).

Do you have the latest 23H2 version of Windows 11?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
As far as I know, there is no CoPilot in the EU:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Click Start->Type "installed apps" and check if you have Microsoft CoPilot and Windows CoPilot MSIX pack over there.

Have you disabled the icon on taskbar? Right click on taskbar->taskbar settings->check if you have CoPilot in Windows (preview).

Do you have the latest 23H2 version of Windows 11?
No signs in installed apps and in task bar settings either.

Screenshot_1.png
As far as I know, there is no CoPilot in the EU:
Oh, that's why! It's not that I want it, but seeing everyone saying they have to disable it, I asked myself if there's something wrong with my Windows installation. LOL

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
You wouldn't need those extensions if you are using a good media player like PotPlayer or an image viewer like FastStone/noMacs
I currently use VLC and FastStone Image Viewer. I used to remove those extensions, but I realized that sometimes an image or video wouldn't open because of a missing extension. So, I started keeping the extensions just in case. However, I can always re-download them if needed.

In my system, I still have three manufacturers' apps installed - Intel Graphic Command Center, Realtek Audio, and Dolby. I don't actually use these apps and rely on Windows settings instead. Should I remove these apps?

Reactions: lokamoka820

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.