Advice Request 2FA, Gmail, Signal (messaging app), desktop

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019

it’s a desktop PC

the OS is Windows 10

Gmail (desktop)

Signal (desktop messaging program)

---------------------------------------------

Hello

Please forgive my ignorance

I’m considering using Signal (desktop messaging app) for (desktop) Gmail’s 2FA.

In other words, instead of Gmail sending an authentication SMS to my smartphone, I would like desktop Gmail to send a SMS, or something else, to Signal (desktop messaging app).

Is it possible??

Again, I apologise for my ignorance

Christian

Reactions: byronbytes

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In other words, instead of Gmail sending an authentication SMS to my smartphone, I would like desktop Gmail to send a SMS, or something else, to Signal (desktop messaging app).
Agree with others that 2-step verification via SMS is insecure, and not advisable from a security perspective.

Google Prompts is available for Android and iOS (via signed-in Gmail, Photos, YouTube, Google app) and much easier than actual 2FA apps.
We recommend you use Google prompts as your second step. They’re easier to enter than a verification code and can help protect against SIM swap and other phone number-based hacks.

There are numerous articles about Why You Should Not Use SMS for 2FA, as Phone Calls and SMS Texts were never designed to be secure.

Screenshot 2022-10-26 at 16.10.59.png

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Thank you for you kind answers.

I’m sorry, now I realise my question wasn’t clear. My apologies.

My question was more about whether (and how) I could use desktop Signal (messaging app) in relation to Gmail’s 2FA.

Any suggestion, please?

Cheers

Christian

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The answer to your question is no, you may get Google 2FA notifications sent to your Signal app/account (depending on how signal works, I haven't used lately) but they won't be encrypted using the Signal protocol and will be in plain text sms. You don't get the added protection in using Signal if one party doesn't use the encryption protocol, basically it's the same as receiving a normal sms.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.