App Review 360 Total Security Essential with Comodo Firewall prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Now that's a killer combo, @cruelsister is very fond of those 2 AFAIK, thank you for sharing :) CF configured well you should be able to stop anything, sandboxing by Comodo, plus you have some very aggressive (and noisy...) HIPS of Q360 TS. Plus both are very lightweight.
Thank you for sharing @safe1st!
EDIT: Only some side note (at least on CIS, maybe same behaviour for CF): Turning off the option to exclude the shared folders & Download folders will protect even common script ransomware (.js, .vbs,...) from getting hit by ransomware and from the malware folder getting filled up with ransomware related stuff. Funnily enough, .exe, .jpeg and .txt placed in the malware folder were save in my test?
EDIT 2: What about Avira Free bundled with CF?

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
No question on that combination, definitely the threat has no way to escape since it will undergone numerous layers of protection.

HIPS, mechanistic behavior protection, cloud protection, signatures, and autosandbox.

I think users should satisfy on this setup.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Safe1st- very nice video, and I thank you for taking the time to do it! But a few things:

1). Malwarebytes is detecting things in the Comodo quarantine folder because of the way Comodo places them there. When the Comodo AV detects something it will quarantine it by changing the file name to some random string and will remove the extension (so it can't ever be run); but it will maintain the file ID (the SHA256). Therefore MB is just doing it's thing of dumb detection- alerting you to a file ID without knowing if the file can be run or not.

This pretty much typifies how traditional AV's work (and why I disklike them so much)- an example would be that you would recognize me if I wore my Black dress, but would have no idea who I was if I wore my Red dress.

2). Comodo with the sandbox at the default Partially Limited will allow malware artifacts to be dumped into Temp, as well as allowing various environmental changes to be made; changing the sandbox level to Restricted or Untrusted would prevent these things (I'll be releasing a video this weekend on just this- and I hope you guys like listening to Chill).

3). Unless you are testing something in the sandbox (or have your browser sandboxed), the Firewall settings should be set to prevent anything in the sandbox from connecting out (just like Sandboxie). That setting will be seen at 2:22 of this video- Check the "Do NOT show popup alerts" and change to Block Requests.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Seeing VS is a main staple on my system I would love to see any combo that has
VS in Auto Pilot beside any companion other than Q-360 ;)
Thanks SF, quality Video as always brother.
I will stop by your YouTube later and deliver Props :)

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For any that feel the need to pair CF with an AV, note that the only difference you will notice is that the amount of things that Comodo will sandbox is inversely proportional to the quality (and timeliness) of the AV's definitions.

For example, use an AV that is not all that good (like Clam) and Comodo will sandbox a bunch; use something like Qihoo or VS and less work will be done by the Sandbox (less with VS, obviously). But with any combination the baseline excellent protection level will be the same.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
For any that feel the need to pair CF with an AV, note that the only difference you will notice is that the amount of things that Comodo will sandbox is inversely proportional to the quality (and timeliness) of the AV's definitions.

For example, use an AV that is not all that good (like Clam) and Comodo will sandbox a bunch; use something like Qihoo or VS and less work will be done by the Sandbox (less with VS, obviously). But with any combination the baseline excellent protection level will be the same.

well said there @cruelsister :) most of us ( I for one ) am just terrible and just got to attached to signature based av's I am having trouble to abbandon them becuase my paranoid mode kicks in : I know that signature based detection is dead end technology , but I do not dare to put my trust fully in ONLY comodo firewall..... :( maybe your next video will make me change my mind indefinately :)

@safe1st thanks for the vid as always good job! :)

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Safe1st- very nice video, and I thank you for taking the time to do it! But a few things:

1). Malwarebytes is detecting things in the Comodo quarantine folder because of the way Comodo places them there. When the Comodo AV detects something it will quarantine it by changing the file name to some random string and will remove the extension (so it can't ever be run); but it will maintain the file ID (the SHA256). Therefore MB is just doing it's thing of dumb detection- alerting you to a file ID without knowing if the file can be run or not.

This pretty much typifies how traditional AV's work (and why I disklike them so much)- an example would be that you would recognize me if I wore my Black dress, but would have no idea who I was if I wore my Red dress.

2). Comodo with the sandbox at the default Partially Limited will allow malware artifacts to be dumped into Temp, as well as allowing various environmental changes to be made; changing the sandbox level to Restricted or Untrusted would prevent these things (I'll be releasing a video this weekend on just this- and I hope you guys like listening to Chill).

3). Unless you are testing something in the sandbox (or have your browser sandboxed), the Firewall settings should be set to prevent anything in the sandbox from connecting out (just like Sandboxie). That setting will be seen at 2:22 of this video- Check the "Do NOT show popup alerts" and change to Block Requests.

Thank you @cruelsister :)
This test was requested and the setting for this test.

and thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.