360 Total Security and which firewall??

Which firewall should I install with 360 Total Security!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starchild76

Thread author
hello guys.

I wanted to try out 360 ts again , but which firewall should I install next to it?

options :

comodo
online armor free
or zonealarm free

are there any exclusions I should make in both programs??

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have tested COMODO and Online Armor with 360TS...
with both I had no problems... but I liked COMODO more! ;)

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There is a pretty big issue with Private firewall. After the training period when running an application that is not on their whitelist (which isn't all that extensive) it will ask if the file should be run or not, the choice being up to the user. If you choose to run it and it turns out to be malware you are out of luck as PF offers no further protection.

I personally don't like a security solution that is basically no better than flipping a coin.

dowN1

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 11, 2014
There is a pretty big issue with Private firewall. After the training period when running an application that is not on their whitelist (which isn't all that extensive) it will ask if the file should be run or not, the choice being up to the user. If you choose to run it and it turns out to be malware you are out of luck as PF offers no further protection.

I personally don't like a security solution that is basically no better than flipping a coin.

That's why I always recommend OA. In most cases it tells you if the file is malicious/dangerous.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012

C'mon, you and starchild76 are experienced enough to know what file (program) you run in the first place. Antivirus is used to whitelist and blacklist, and at least give some reputation of a file that you see first time in your life or/and it's named xxx.exe, and if firewall has that option too, IMHO it's a bottleneck, overlap.

You don't need a firewall for that scenario, just common sense ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Starchild.., isn't it wonderful how your choices are all good ones?o_O:D Something tells me Windows firewall just won't satisfy your need for a hands on experience.;)
Having been a happy Privatefirewall user, my first choice (originally) was Online Armor which I probably would have used had I known there was a free version. Perhaps there wasn't back then..:confused: I've not used Comodo, although I've always wished to. I voted other for Windows firewall, and use it on both 8.1 & 7. That said, my fall back vote for you would be for Online armor (..go on, let me live vicariously through You!:p) and you can always fall back on one of the others, choice B or choice C, if you don't like the feel!:)

Last edited:

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I choose other (Windows firewall), I'm not a fan of HIPS based firewall, too distracting and annoying for me, also some of 3rd party firewall causing compatibility issues sometime soon or later, well at least from my experience, yes I know we can configure it and fix it since most of MT members are advanced users and just like to configure/tweak/ anything and understanding how a security software works, but it's time consuming and not worth for me for my daily use of course. If I have to choose 3rd party firewall, then I prefer pure based firewall, but regarding those 3 hips firewall mentioned by OP, my vote goes for private firewall, had a good time with it :)

S

starchild76

Thread author
hello guys thanks to you all for your time and effort for replying to my threat extensively :) verry much apreciated!! I have made my choice : 360 ts and Online Armor free it is , like it more than Comodo ; Based on the negativity it faces lately , the almost impossible unistall ( the firewall and some other drivers that precist ) , also I like the popups Online Armor gives ( that might sound strange to most of you ) but hey.....I am a strange guy :p. those show me exactly what is going on , perfect for a controlfreak like me......

the only strange sidenote I have is , that when I first installed Online Armor I had to completely shut it down , before I could install 360 ts

I did not choose private firewall , because in the past it ran very very heavy on my machine. also webbrowsing halted to a crawl.

Alucard

Level 2
Verified
Sep 28, 2014
I voted other.
I think you should use private firewall, I think it will serve you well.
Fairly easy interface to understand and easy on the system.
Best of luck with your choice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.