App Review A Symantec Endpoint (UnManaged) Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
cruelsister
F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Great test, i do wonder though, what are the ramifications of testing on the different operating systems. Would this impact how the application functions, the vulnerabilities/issues of OS, rules and customization of newer OS. To sum up windows 7 has its own quirks so to say as opposed to windows 11.

For instance on windows 7 i can launch startup of windows 7, hard shut down, force a repair start rename cmd to ease of access to launch command from sign in page to reset windows 7 pwd. Known glitches of windows 7. As an example, windows 7 has many quirks as stated. Does this still make testing on windows 7 applicable to windows 11 users?

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Great test, i do wonder though, what are the ramifications of testing on the different operating systems. Would this impact how the application functions, the vulnerabilities/issues of OS, rules and customization of newer OS. To sum up windows 7 has its own quirks so to say as opposed to windows 11.

For instance on windows 7 i can launch startup of windows 7, hard shut down, force a repair start rename cmd to ease of access to launch command from sign in page to reset windows 7 pwd. Known glitches of windows 7. As an example, windows 7 has many quirks as stated. Does this still make testing on windows 7 applicable to windows 11 users?
Its not windows 7, its windows 11 she just uses the theme of windows 7.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Nice test.
The malicious script that got detected by SONAR as AGR Terminate...something is interesting. I have seen this on Broadcom's signature update page many times but never saw it in action in Norton. I was wondering if it's applicable to Norton also or only to SEP. Do you mind sharing a VT link of that sample if it's available publicly? I have Norton on my VM where I can check it.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Without management features and at default it's just a filter
Wont stop every zero day malware
Filters need to work on IT environments it's still an unsolved mystery to get good mitigation while having low false positives to legit IT tool
both security and false positives are getting sacrificed for something in the middle using a filter there is a reason Unix like guys and many security professionals don't use filters (avs)

Its not windows 7, its windows 11 she just uses the theme of windows 7.
Windows 7 definitely had a better design over this flat modern
design that feels like a 7 year old made

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.