Technology Apostrophy OS, the future of cellphone privacy?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Would you pay a monthly fee for your smartphone software? More specifically, would you pay $15 a month so Android doesn’t track you and send all of that data back to Google? Most of us would probably say no fairly immediately. Why pay R300/m when Android comes “free” on your phone, most might reply.

Except it isn’t “free” by any definition. Consumers are paying with their personal privacy and data. Google, which is the very definition of surveillance capitalism, makes money from tracking you and what you do on the internet.

Google is guilty of “deceiving and manipulating consumers to gain access to their location data, including making it nearly impossible for users to stop their location from being tracked”, according to a lawsuit by four US states, which I wrote about in 2022.

Since at least 2014, “Google has systematically deceived consumers about how their locations are tracked and used, and has misled consumers to believe that they can control what information Google collects about them.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
We all need a really good alternative to Android. Most of the alternatives that are available at this point have not been able to reach the masses and taking on Google is one of the most difficult thing to do in this world. But some day some body will surely be able to do that.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I'm an iPhone user. However, if I was using an Android phone I'd definitely pay the price not to be tracked.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
About: Support — Apostrophy
Apostrophy OS is unique in that the User Experience is divided into partitioned segments prioritizing application integrity and personal data privacy. Users can access a dedicated application store, utilize over-the-air software updates anywhere in the world, customize their on-device Virtual Private Network (VPN), and take comfort knowing that their Email, Calendar, Contacts, and other personal information is securely stored within Switzerland.
AphyOS is based on GrapheneOS, based on AOSP 13

Product specs: Punkt. MC02 secure phone with Apostrophy OS

For $750 USD:
  • MC02 Phone
  • 1 year AphyOS subscription
    • Apostrophy Services: 5GB of cloud storage for Email, messaging and calendar, Vanadium browser, Data & Carbon Ledger, Digital Nomad VPN, and GMS Wizard.
    • Renew for CHF14.99/mo. (vary in your local currency)
  • 2 years warranty and repair service
Can I use the MC02 without the subscription?
If you cancel your Apostrophy subscription, the Apostrophy services available on your MC02 phone will no longer function, and any additional services introduced in the future will also be inaccessible.

I'm an iPhone user. However, if I was using an Android phone I'd definitely pay the price not to be tracked.
AphyOS might not "track" you, but for any apps you want to install definitely will have trackers or sell anonymised data. Do you use any Google apps or services on iOS, or PC?

More info:
As for the phone itself, Punkt. says it was "designed in Europe, manufactured in China." It's a nondescript black slab with a "splatter paint" finish. The phone has a 6.7-inch screen with a resolution of 2,400 by 1,080 pixels, a pixel density off 394ppi, and a refresh rate of 60Hz. It pushes 400 nits of brightness with a 1,000:1 contrast ratio and supports HDR color. There are stereo speakers, a headphone jack, USB-C (2.0), a fingerprint scanner embedded in the power button on the side, and a customizable action key.

The phone runs on a MediaTek Dimensity 900 processor with 6GB of LPDDR5x RAM and 128GB of UFS 2.2 storage. It supports microSD memory cards up to 2TB. The 5,500mAh battery supports 18W wired and wireless charging.
Source: CES 2024: Punkt. Partners With Apostrophy for Privacy-First Phone

UFS storage speed comparison: Universal Flash Storage - Wikipedia
MediaTek Dimensity 900 released in May 2021 - MediaTek Dimensity 900: specs and benchmarks

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.