Aries91 Configuration (updated october 2016)

Last updated
Dec 31, 1969
Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Emsisoft Internet Security 11, hitman pro alert. voodooshield free
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes antimalware,hitman pro, windows defender limited periodic scanning
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome stable,HTTPS everywhere,onetab,bitdefender trafficlight,download accelerator plus
Maintenance tools
click and clean,ccleaner,wise portable
File and Photo backup
File History in Windows
System recovery
Windows Default

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
Yes,but malwarebyte anti-exploit in the free version seems so poor.
I'm looking for some software free in alternative to hitman.
I keep hitman anyway but in free version.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
I just realized that my 1-year licence of emsisoft antimalware is going to expire.
now i'm considering to switch another antivirus product,free or pro but not expensive.
can you suggest some good antivirus?
what do you think about my actual configuration,some advise?

Reactions: Logethica

MisterToto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I just realized that my 1-year licence of emsisoft antimalware is going to expire.
now i'm considering to switch another antivirus product,free or pro but not expensive.
You can get avast free or qihoo in free corner or you can also get Gdata IS for 30$ because of its 30th anniversary, go to their website;)

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
i don't trust in the chinese qihoo, I read something bad in the web about it and how it cheats comparatives among av.
I tried Gdata before emsisoft but i think it slow down my pc start-up.
maybe avast is a good choice in spite of his low detection rate.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Defender, ignore the baseline scores in AV Testing reports, what do you think about this for basic Antivirus protection?
Remember, Windows 10 has increased it's Windows Defender protection capabilities, than compared to all previous versions.

Real-time Protection: Windows Defender & Firewall
Browser Protection: HitmanPro Alert, Bitdefender Trafficlight
On-demand: HitmanPro, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Optional: Unchecky (prevents the installation of bundleware; adware and other potentially unwanted software)

Consider the above before bogging down your system with unnecessary Free Antivirus software by other vendors. Some cause more issues that what it's actually worth, for example, many Free Antivirus are limited, or promote their paid versions through notifications or messages centres.

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
I remember that when I had windows 8.1,windows defender took too much ram and cpu usage during the scan, also it was very slow in the scan and in the removal.
sometimes it couldn't remove some malware.
For these reasons I switched to third part antivirus.
what do you think about these problems?

S

SkyJP

Tbh it depends on your how risky you are online.

I am pretty sure most malware come through exploits in the browser (praise HMPAlert here) and downloads.

Windows Defender is enough for that with HMP.

For scanning problems, they appear o many AVs, but mostly on demand scanners do the job better than Defender in that aspect e.g. Malwarebytes, EEK, herdprotect.

aries91

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 20, 2015
I already use HMPalert,malwarebytes free, EEK.
herdprotect takes too much time for scan my pc( over 3 hours).
I write before why I left windows defender for other antivirus, I prefer faster scan(2-3 hours with defender, 1-1,30 with other av) and lower ram and cpu usage and good removal of the malware.
is defender improved in windows 10 or still has these problems?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I've heard many good things about the advantages of Defender in Windows 10 as per @Huracan's instruction.
If you'd prefer testing the waters from what is out there, you can take a trial spin of any AV or Security Suite of your choice. I would definitely visit our current Giveaways forum. Avast! has served us well for the past year on our 8.1 system. Currently I am liking Norton Security 2015 http://us.norton.com/support/redirects/redirect.jsp?type=latestnis which has taken Avast!'s place for us nicely.

Happy hunting, and may you find the protection that's right for you!:D

Update: @aries91, here is a working link for Avast!:

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Because it's good av lights,with good detection rate ;)
Aren't all Antivirus "Light and Good detection". Is there nothing extra special about those you recommended? Are there any features that outshine the rest, or how you don't need to configure the program, etc.?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.