Kaspersky Internet Security
Hitman Pro Alert
VoodooShield beta
Zemana Antilogger Premium
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Emsisoft Emergency Kit Portable
Malwarebytes Antimalware
HitmanPro (scanner included w/HitmanPro Alert)
Zemana
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Cyberfox browser - 64 bit: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin, NoScript, LastPass, No Small Script, & Theme Font & Size Changer.

Vivaldi - 32 bit: Adguard, uMatrix, & LastPass

IE - Tracking Protection - EasyList, EasyPrivacy, PrivacyChoice, + Stop Google Tracking.

Microsoft Edge: None have yet to be installed
Maintenance tools
CCleaner portable version 525
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Use of Backup software is forthcoming whilst the universe awaits a reasonabley priced external HDD, 'Cmon Santa, you know I'm on your "nice" list! ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Now... this is where all your fun starts.
So true, ..and now my training in the power of the 'Dark Side' can be made complete!!:p:D
tumblr_mrir5qc52Q1scj69to1_500.jpg

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
So true, ..and now my training in the power of the 'Dark Side' can be made complete!!:p:D
tumblr_mrir5qc52Q1scj69to1_500.jpg
Cute! My wife likes it too. :D And I voted yes I used Emsisoft but now using another program which happens to be Bitdefender Total Security 2015 that's why I asked about compatibility with Malwarebytes, I used it on WIN 7 pro but it slowed down when I added BD TS 2015,
now my OS is WIN 8.1 Pro 32-bit and BD runs better "BUT" haven't tried adding MB's after getting some feedback and so far your link has instructions on what to do..Thanks

H

hjlbx

Cute! My wife likes it too. :D And I voted yes I used Emsisoft but now using another program which happens to be Bitdefender Total Security 2015 that's why I asked about compatibility with Malwarebytes, I used it on WIN 7 pro but it slowed down when I added BD TS 2015,
now my OS is WIN 8.1 Pro 32-bit and BD runs better "BUT" haven't tried adding MB's after getting some feedback and so far your link has instructions on what to do..Thanks

I think BD made some improvements to help along W8.1 compatibility.

I would not see why BD and MBAE would not get along. I have seen nothing on the security forums regarding any issues between the two.

If need be MBAE uninstalls fairly cleanly... all you can do is try.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I agree with @hjlbx, and hope the odds shall prove themselves in your favor!:)
That's cute...
Thanks!:D
My wife also christened the 'jadequest99 look alike' to be utterly Cute!:rolleyes: The picture I'd intended using would have been the infamous Sith Lord we whom we all know and love to emulate... but the Kitty's mastery of The Force proved irresistible!!:p :):)

jadequest99

Level 3
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I think BD made some improvements to help along W8.1 compatibility.

I would not see why BD and MBAE would not get along. I have seen nothing on the security forums regarding any issues between the two.

If need be MBAE uninstalls fairly cleanly... all you can do is try.
Thank you hjlbx for your advice, appreciate all the different responses and community experience on this subject.;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
LOL at the last selection in your above pole! :D

Config is looking good :)
Thank you @illumination. I've been following 'Tips' from wise members (you know whom you are) and receiving suggestions from on High whilst having a bit more fun ..like streaming "Game of Thrones" from hbogo.com.:)
I'm glad you'd noticed that last choice for the poll, lol!!:D

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 8.1:

Removed - AdAware Pro.

Used as a scanner with realtime protection at 'off' while using Avast!, I'd nearly forgotten AdAware was installed until a popup window repeatedly announced initiation of an :eek:unknown installation taking place I would then stop.:confused: Also, startups & shut downs became very slow,:oops: even requiring me to force shutdowns while in Shadow Defender's 'Shadow Mode'.o_O
Following performing a restore to a previous system state (approx. 1 month earlier) the system feels like it's old self ..only newer!;):p

I

illumination

Windows 8.1:

Removed - AdAware Pro.

Used as a scanner with realtime protection at 'off' while using Avast!, I'd nearly forgotten AdAware was installed until a popup window repeatedly announced initiation of an :eek:unknown installation taking place I would then stop.:confused: Also, startups & shut downs became very slow,:oops: even requiring me to force shutdowns while in Shadow Defender's 'Shadow Mode'.o_O
Following performing a restore to a previous system state (approx. 1 month earlier) the system feels like it's old self ..only newer!;):p
Good for you, never liked adware pro. There are a few around these parts that consider themselves "experts/professionals" that run nothing but that application for security, and i have helped them clean/fix those systems a few times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Good for you, never liked adware pro. There are a few around these parts that consider themselves "experts/professionals" that run nothing but that application for security, and i have helped them clean/fix those systems a few times.
Thank you!:):) Although I'd refrained from blaming a handful of apps, my gut informed me something had to be removed. Your insight never fails to increase my confidence while also granting my self esteem a boost with a needed shot in the arm (*Sans needles!:p) of 'smart juice'!

Windows 8.1:
Removed
...and Re-installed: Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, 1 of 2 kept apps which heralded :eek:"Something Wicked This Way Comes" ..or in simple words: Oh-oh,o_O ..think we'd better do something now!:D

Additionally, pending further notice indicating driver malfunction, Sandboxie may be next.;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Windows 7 SP 1:
Un-installed - ESET Smart Security (trial expired)

Update:
Re-installed - ESET Smart Security
Thank you @stephentony! My wife preferrs ESET, and was as pleasantly surprised as myself that she'll neither have to use Avast! nor Avira.:) (No offense to those that do as I am also an Avast! user.:rolleyes::p)
..and thank you @illumination (also a member of Team ESET) for your synchronicity of timely encouragement!;) :):)

Last edited:

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
You are very welcome Cats-4_Owners-2

As far as Emsisoft goes, I just installed on another PC after buying a two year license last week. I had to answer "My wife insists on Eset for her Laptop" :)Actually, I have Eset SS on one PC and Emsisoft on another. So far I really like EAM with zero issues. I trialed it a couple of times so I had a fairly good idea of what it had to offer. IMHO the behavior blocker is as good as GData's. That's right, I said it. The bottom line is this: When my wife is happy then... Um. Oh yeah, then I'm happy, too. I keep forgetting that. Wait. Yes dear I'll be right there. Gotta go.:D Hehe

Last edited:

stephentony

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Cats-4_Owners-2 said: Lol!!:D
Yes, you have discovered the secret to happiness (apart from EAM.., yet linked directly to ESET:cool:) and far more valuable than the fountain of youth.;)
Happy wife = Happy life! :):):):p :D

You can say that again my brother! My biggest concern is once my wife's Eset license expires, I will get the boot. I guess I better make sure that never happens because I don't want to live outdoors. One thing related to my Wife's love of all that is Eset. She has Eset SS 8.0 on her laptop and the specs on that machine are middling at best. Even so, she loves how light it feels with none of the slow boots that are part and parcel of many security suites.

My question is how can Smart Security be this light, and yet so many people who populate this forum and others complain that it's actually very heavy. I know that Eset SS and the antivirus product basically load everything into memory which helps greatly in keeping boot times fast, along with little to no impact when copying files, internet surfing, and general multitasking. If I am wrong or right about this, please explain why, so that I may understand.:confused:. Look at an independent lab like AV Comp. Eset always or almost always ranks in the top three for performance, but even better, Eset does it with nary a false positive. I will take the AVC score under the "Real World" test results in the range of lets say 96% to 98% because Eset almost never has a false positive. The trade off is worth it to me. Not to mention when you tweak the settings properly Eset performs that much better. The Eset SS firewall is improving all the time and I love that my browsers home page explodes open so quickly like no other firewall I've tested. SpyShelter Firewall 9.8 comes very close.;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
You can say that again my brother! My biggest concern is once my wife's Eset license expires, I will get the boot. I guess I better make sure that never happens because I don't want to live outdoors. One thing related to my Wife's love of all that is Eset. She has Eset SS 8.0 on her laptop and the specs on that machine are middling at best. Even so, she loves how light it feels with none of the slow boots that are part and parcel of many security suites.

My question is how can Smart Security be this light, and yet so many people who populate this forum and others complain that it's actually very heavy. I know that Eset SS and the antivirus product basically load everything into memory which helps greatly in keeping boot times fast, along with little to no impact when copying files, internet surfing, and general multitasking. If I am wrong or right about this, please explain why, so that I may understand.:confused:. Look at an independent lab like AV Comp. Eset always or almost always ranks in the top three for performance, but even better, Eset does it with nary a false positive. I will take the AVC score under the "Real World" test results in the range of lets say 96% to 98% because Eset almost never has a false positive. The trade off is worth it to me. Not to mention when you tweak the settings properly Eset performs that much better. The Eset SS firewall is improving all the time and I love that my browsers home page explodes open so quickly like no other firewall I've tested. SpyShelter Firewall 9.8 comes very close.;)
When you're fortunate enough to be visited upon by the graces of both lightness hitched to a wagon besides smooth functionality, even when speaking from an array of differently configured Windows systems from many different points of view, it would be quite believable if different people had greatly varying outcomes using ESET. Sometimes, but this hasn't been the case. As well as having been mentioned, however honorably, among the more popularly coveted paid alternatives I have read about, ESET has remained a sought after choice shoulder to shoulder with Emsisoft & Kaspersky; and if one considers the vastly known galaxy of free alternatives, there's a whole battalion of up and coming free alternatives.;) Why then does ESET Smart Security work so agreeably on my wife's Sony Vaio?o_O I can only join my voice by also happily asking the question (which is also very telling!:p) as thus far what I shall state is that it balances functionality without putting forth the proverbial hard sell. IE: What they lack are annoying pop up windows & the incessant e-mails which announce the protection we'd miss out on would also leave us dangerously vulnerable. No one likes those.:cool: On the other hand, I'll credit contributors on Malware Tips for placing ESET's name among the positive words added to my Antivirus/Security thesaurus such as 'good', 'light', and 'protection'.:D

@stephentony, I'm *Laughing* even now at your clever use of the word 'boot'!:D I am hoping neither of us would ever have to live an impromptu (for an indefinite duration) camping trip:eek: outdoors,:D but feel happy your wife's lap top boots up quickly!:p
I've spent more time lately on our Windows 7 SP 1 thanks to 'servicing' my wife's internet 'vehicle' changing the Security Suite, rather than her car's oil.
Another plus for ESET SS, I neither had to wear gloves nor did I spill a drop of oil on the garage floor!!:rolleyes: :):)
Could the old XP system be axed?
Hello @Huracan. Yes!:) Currently I spend considerably more time on the lubuntu 14.04 than the XP it's duel booted besides, and LastPass just quit working on Chrome.:confused: *Looks gratefully toward Mount Mozilla*:rolleyes:
Seeing as Window 7 may soon become the 'new XP', hopefully I'll be able to lovingly re-retire 'The Flying Dutchman' with an Ax as sharp as Jon Snow's, & replace it upon 'The Wall' (along with some needed RAM) with A 'Walking Dead' Windows 7 system which for the foreseeable future might :eek:never die
..buu-ahh-ha-ha-ha ha-ha-haaah!!:D

Update:
Windows 8.1
Removed - Unchecky
My reasoning is to remove unecessary bloatware. Unchecky, as it stands was a software that never caused a problem on our system, but neither did it ever have a reason to operate or had ever been noticed to work. To be fair, most every time I install apps, custom installation is selected.
My next move shall be to remove all true bloatware attached to the name "Acer"!:D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.