Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2016
SpyShelter Firewall (Evaluation)
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Internet Explorer
Mozilla Firefox (+ Aurora and Nightly builds for Evaluation)
Google Chrome (+ Dev and Canary for Evaluation)
Opera (+Next for Evaluation)
Safari 5 for Windows (Random Testing)
Maintenance tools
RadeonPro (Well if you count GPU tuning)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
After procrastinating for months, I finally dusted off the old Inspiron and cleaned it up. There was a mess of malware samples, antivirus programs, tons and tons of preview and older browsers, and tons of random crap I don't know where it came from...
A while ago, I installed Linux on this computer, but was too lazy to clean up the Windows side. A question still remains of whether to update to Windows 10, as many games I have are actually not compatible with Windows 10 along with the fact that I'm not a big fan of the flat look Windows 10 gives you.

I had to pick an Antivirus which was going to be Avast Free until I found a Kaspersky key lying around so I used that instead. Still has around 4 months on it.

I still have some browsers for evaluation and conducting some pointless testing on. Unfortunately I'm still too lazy to actually perform any tests yet, but I will get to it soon. I also have SpyShelter, which I am currently testing for my own personal use.

The protection I have is bare minimum for my tastes but I think with some settings tweaking and setting up new options, I will be all set for a fast, but protected, security solution.

This means my time without Windows is up and I am now back to using Windows simply because the restrictions you get on Mac are... a lot.

--- Update Nov 23, 2014---
From my last config, I decided to trash Lavasoft Ad-Aware Pro (a winning license anyways) and switch to ESET NOD32 Antivirus 7. Webroot remains the same. I also removed the Lavasoft Toolbar. Download Ninja, Mozilla Thunderbird, and iTunes were added. I have also added Glary Utilities Pro.

---My MacBook Config---
Operating System:

• Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
OS Edition:

Home
OS Build:

Mac OS X 10.11.1
OS Architecture:

64-bit
User Access Control:

N/A for selected OS
OS Updates & Security Patches:

Manual
Recent Malware Attacks:

No
Participate in Malware Hub:

Inside in a Virtual Machine
Real-time Malware Protection:
ESET CyberSecurity Pro (Simply because I have a key to spare)
On-demand Malware Scanners:

Malwarebytes AM for Mac
Security Product Settings:

Custom
Browsers and Extensions:

Safari 8.0.2
Google Chrome 48
Waterfox 45
Mozilla Firefox 45
Opera Next
Password Manager:

N/A
Ad and Script Blocker:

AdGuard 1.2.0 BETA for Mac
System Tuners, Privacy Cleaners and Encryption:

N/A
How often do you perform a Data Backup:

Custom Backups
How often do you perform a System Image Backup:
Custom Backups
Do you own any of the following:

• iOS
  • W10 Mobile
Checklist to secure your devices:

• Official App Stores
  • Device and Storage Encryption
  • Latest OS Updates

Cheers, Chromatinfish :D

Last edited:

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
I testing Webroot AV and have free 90 day license, will uninstall after 90 day done. Good enough? :p

lol...

its-something.jpg

Reactions: Chromatinfish 123

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What do you think of the iCloud software? I don't think it's required on Windows.
> Adds your Photostream to Windows Explorer
> Adds shortcuts to icloud.com (Mail, Pages, Find My iPhone etc.)

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
May 26, 2014
What do you think of the iCloud software? I don't think it's required on Windows.
> Adds your Photostream to Windows Explorer
> Adds shortcuts to icloud.com (Mail, Pages, Find My iPhone etc.)
Actually there is no use for it now because the wi-fi is spotty where my room is (furthest from the router) and I use iTunes for backup.. deleting

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you Chromatinfish for sharing your illustrious configuration and
...yes, I have also felt the ('Uughh'):mad: McAffee pre-installed software's lingering:confused: Bigfoot-print:oops: on our Windows 8.1!
On a lighter note, ESET NOD 32 & WEB ROOT have ever been on my wish list. ..and to think, just minutes ago you were making me laugh out loud!!:p:D
It's curious how, like yourself, I'd had a rare streak of luck by also winning the Adaware Pro Giveaway. My son has his own new (refurbished) HP Windows 7 tower with 4 MB RAM . Having just uninstalled it, would you recommend it over the M.S.E. native AV for him?o_O
Lastly, since I also happen to use every one of the extensions you use:cool: except for Grease Monkey, & I use LastPass (also toss in ZenMate & DoNotTrackMe) and each of your browsers (except Nightly, Waterfox, & Chrome Canary) do you think I've reason to miss what I have not yet been trying??o_O :p;) :)

Arakasi

Level 4
Verified
Jul 12, 2014
Right so grab an old router, or get a wall repeater etc, and extend the range to the other side.

On a side note, i responded to your thread at the ESET forums.
:)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What will you be doing with the Lavasoft licence now? Wasteful, as you could have trialled the product beforehand..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.