Comodo Internet Security 9.xx leaked Alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Yes CIS 9 beta early august 2015 & hotfix for Win 10 & fixes/improvements for current version at the end of this month.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
H

hjlbx

Yeah, Comodo Internet Security has quite a few user-interface and other bugs... especially on W8.1.

What I am seeing are a lot of quirks - bugs - whatever one prefers to call them - that will definitely confuse someone who is not familiar with how CIS works and behaves. Such confusion is not a good thing since learning CIS is already a challenge - at least for the novice. To be perfectly honest even I am surprised at times while playing with CIS. Every now and then I discover unreported bugs. I have to take a moment, do a WTF?, and then try to figure out what just happened - although I would bet not 1 in a 1000 would make the modifications I make to CIS. It is not that I am creating absolutely off-the-wall rules, but instead exploring how powerful one can make it. Let me tell you... there's a 1000 and 1 ways to accomplish the same thing in CIS - it is that configurable. Exaggerating, but you know what I mean... The down-side to CIS flexibility is that is just way too much for the average security soft user to wrap their head around... they might pop a vein - or two - or three -thinking too hard about all the possible permutations...

What I am not seeing is anything that is detrimental to security. In other words, CIS protects my system quite well despite the bug(s) - and I constantly pen-test it using malware samples. I should further qualify this by stating that customarily I do not use the default config, but instead a custom one that is essentially an anti-executable. Even so, the default config protects my physical system just as well as my custom one in my experience. Just doing the "Full Disclosure" thing here...

My custom config is such that my system security is not dependent upon Comodo's AV; the AV module is absolutely not necessary - but since it is included - what the heck, right? Plus, I don't do any real "high-risk" surfing or downloading - which means CIS is complete overkill for my computing habits. That is equally true even if I used nothing but built-in Windows Defender and Firewall. I just don't need any type of high-powered security solution based upon my actual computing habits - and the NSA isn't after me either. That helps.

NOTE: Now I know someone is going to make this argument... malware testing is "high-risk." Yes. It is - but - it's not the same risk as complete neglect and disregard of safe computing practices. I perform malware testing under controlled conditions and full-awareness. That's all besides the point, high-risk\low-risk, CIS has kept my system clean.

CIS is not terrible nor is it exceptional.

From what I see, I think it does one thing - essentially one thing only - and does it very, very well - and that is preventing a persistent infection on the physical system... which is what it is designed to do. It also has some data protections... but preventing a persistent infection will not, in and of itself, prevent data from being stolen. Data protection and preventing system infection are not one in the same... although, in the vast majority of cases data is stolen via an infection mechanism. So by preventing persistent system infections, CIS also by extension, protects sensitive user data to a reasonably good extent.

CIS is not designed to prevent malicious objects from getting onto your system; it is designed to prevent them from staying permanently.

CIS is not designed to protect the browser - nor will it ever be, I think.

If one can learn to use it knowledgeably within it's limitations, then it can offer solid system protection.

Can it be better - yes.

Does it need to be supplemented - for the sake of simplicity let's just say yes... it could use some help in terms of surf\browser protections.

Is Melih the devil ?

I'm not sure... (better have your holy water handy - just in case...).

Last edited by a moderator:

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
300+ bugs fixed!!! :p
This practice is quite common. Mozilla fixed 3368 bugs in the beta version 40 of Firefox and listed only 9 bugs in the release notes.

According to Wikipedia,
Mozilla | Number of employees : 1000+
Comodo | Number of employees : 1100+

Reactions: yigido and MalwareT

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
^ Code for Firefox is also being contributed by tons of developers all over the world. So we can't compare Firefox with Comodo.

Reactions: MalwareT

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
^ Code for Firefox is also being contributed by tons of developers all over the world. So we can't compare Firefox with Comodo.
That does not mean 300 bugs does not sound reasonable even if we consider *external* developers.

Reactions: Sloth

Sloth

Level 5
Verified
Jun 24, 2015
@vivid Sorry, I thought that you talked down on Comodo mentioning that Mozilla fixed 3K+ bugs while Comodo fixed only 300+ bugs. Sorry again.

Yes, fixing bugs in a security suite looks more difficult than other kind of software.

Reactions: yigido and vivid
H

hjlbx

If we got to actually look at all the unpublished bug fixes by all AVs - a general trend would be readily apparent = the publicized bug fixes comprise only a small fraction of the total bug fixes. This applies to all vendors - from Ahn Lab to Zemana...

Emsisoft, for example, only lists the "major" bug fixes discovered\reported but excludes most others in the change log. So one only sees 10 bug fixes - but that doesn't mean there were not a whole bunch more.

Security soft quality (ability to protect system) really is not proportional nor correlated with reported bug fixes. It may, however, be more accurately an indication of general UI issues... which most of us already know is Comodo's main funk.

Reactions: Davidov and yigido

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Well the final release will be out by September 1st, must remember Comodo never has a long beta period, unless of course they actually listen to their customers/users, (you know the ones who keep Melih in business) oh, sorry they don't count.

Off-Course.... See below

I never understand why people, Melih and the Comodo team always use the terms "they do not understand how Comodo works" well explain it, then you can participate in AV-Tests and get a true reading.

H

hjlbx

I never understand why people, Melih and the Comodo team always use the terms "they do not understand how Comodo works" well explain it, then you can participate in AV-Tests and get a true reading.

I don't know about Melih, but even some Comodo support staff do not know how CIS works - nor do some very long-term, die-hard users.

Many technical details Comodo will only make succinct comments.

What Comodo should do is fully explain what the user can expect from the soft - and, more importantly - what not to expect. This, I think, would prevent a lot of disappointment from the very start... as, I think, a lot of new users expect CIS to be a complete Internet Security Suite - which it definitely is not...

AV-Test Lab doesn't test sandboxing, HIPS, firewall - which are CIS' main protections. So, at least for now, CIS participation - even if on a regular basis - current AV-Test lab's methodology would not accurately assess or gauge CIS' protection capabilities since it does not test those features ! Bummer... for this fact applies to all AVs that sport various advanced features.

AV-Test follows the protocol that you have to make valid comparisons between AVs = apples-to-apples... which really isn't any indication of any AV's absolute ability\ies to protect a system. What that methodology essentially does it compares detection via signatures between AV brands and versions. That sort of testing is not an "absolute" measure of protection - that pen-tests and assesses all features in a security soft in a realistic and meaningful way. Think about it...

How would AV-Test Lab compare a security soft that uses just HIPS to one that has a whole bunch of features - like AV, firewall, anti-exploit, etc ? Difficult problem for AV test labs generally... and more importantly, if AV test labs did such comparative testing, a lot of folks would cry "FOUL ! That's not fair... "

Round and round we go - and nobody gets a true indication of a security soft's overall protection quality. It (= testing limited to detection by signature) is all a crock of doggy doo-doo... because of the way it is presented to users. It's misleading... and takes full advantage of user inexperience and lack of knowledge. Unethical is a word that sits ever-present in my mind. Just sayin'...

When it comes to AVs I've learned one thing = the vendors can make users happy only a small fraction of the time - and the users keep themselves miserable during all of the remaining time. :D

AV vendor employees - in fact, all IT personnel - need super-thick skin and fortitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I don't know about Melih, but even some Comodo support staff do not know how CIS works - nor do some very long-term, die-hard users.

Many technical details Comodo will only make succinct comments.

What Comodo should do is fully explain what the user can expect from the soft - and, more importantly - what not to expect. This, I think, would prevent a lot of disappointment from the very start... as, I think, a lot of new users expect CIS to be a complete Internet Security Suite - which it definitely is not...

AV-Test Lab doesn't test sandboxing, HIPS, firewall - which are CIS' main protections. So, at least for now, CIS participation - even if on a regular basis - current AV-Test lab's methodology would not accurately assess or gauge CIS' protection capabilities since it does not test those features ! Bummer... for this fact applies to all AVs that sport various advanced features.

AV-Test follows the protocol that you have to make valid comparisons between AVs = apples-to-apples... which really isn't any indication of any AV's absolute ability\ies to protect a system. What that methodology essentially does it compares detection via signatures between AV brands and versions. That sort of testing is not an "absolute" measure of protection - that pen-tests and assesses all features in a security soft in a realistic and meaningful way. Think about it...

How would AV-Test Lab compare a security soft that uses just HIPS to one that has a whole bunch of features - like AV, firewall, anti-exploit, etc ? Difficult problem for AV test labs generally... and more importantly, if AV test labs did such comparative testing, a lot of folks would cry "FOUL ! That's not fair... "

Round and round we go - and nobody gets a true indication of a security soft's overall protection quality. It (= testing limited to detection by signature) is all a crock of doggy doo-doo... because of the way it is presented to users. It's misleading... and takes full advantage of user inexperience and lack of knowledge. Unethical is a word that sits ever-present in my mind. Just sayin'...

When it comes to AVs I've learned one thing = the vendors can make users happy only a small fraction of the time - and the users keep themselves miserable during all of the remaining time. :D

AV vendor employees - in fact, all IT personnel - need super-thick skin and fortitude.

@hjlbx,

Very well said and I agree! :)

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
woah 300 bugs fixed how many more need fixing?
I was having issuses with the latest version 8.2.0.4591 where it would fail comodo's own leaktest i am now running version 8.1.0.4426

vivid

Level 5
Verified
Dec 8, 2014
Hotfix release was delayed a bit.

BuketB

Comodo Staff
Comodo's Hero
stargmod.gif
stargmod.gif
stargmod.gif
stargmod.gif
stargmod.gif

xx.gif
Re: COMODO Internet Security 8.2.0.4591 is released!

Hi guys,

Yes we will have a hotfix release within this month for Windows10. According to our plans which is changed yesterday, it will be done early next week.

For your kind attention please.

Kind Regards
Buket

Reactions: Sloth
H

hjlbx

woah 300 bugs fixed how many more need fixing?

A whole bunch... AND... maybe sometime within the next decade Comodo will get to fixing bugs reported in 2011...

Despite all this, it is still a good base-line option... remember, most of the reported bugs are discovered by geeks that use and torture CIS above and beyond what the average user would ever do to it.

I still don't like user-interface bugs and quirks - because they cause a lot of confusion. Confusion leads to disappointment and potentially an infection.

Reactions: vivid and Sloth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.