App Review ESET Internet Security 10 Prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
That's because you didn't enable PUPs detection ;) Screenshot_20161026-100101.png
Screenshot_20161026-100101.png

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Thanks. Well done!

I would like to see it pitted against EIS 12 and, as mentioned by adnage19, remember to turn on their PUP/PUA/PUS features because I'm considering which to buy now.

I have watched your earlier beta test on EIS 12 below and it has a higher file detection ratio...I like it

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Thanks. Well done!

I have watched your earlier beta test on EIS 12 below and it has a higher file detection ratio...I like it

You must remember that it was completely different malware pack, so you can't compare detection looking at these two videos. When you look at malware hub, you will see that Eset has actually much better signatures. Of course, Emsi provides better proactive protection with behavior blocker. Overall, both programs are top notch and whatever you choose, you will be happy.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You must remember that it was completely different malware pack, so you can't compare detection looking at these two videos. When you look at malware hub, you will see that Eset has actually much better signatures. Of course, Emsi provides better proactive protection with behavior blocker. Overall, both programs are top notch and whatever you choose, you will be happy.

Yes, I know that and it's also why I'm requesting a direct test for the two. I can see ESET (from the above video) has many features and advanced settings. Let's see how it pit against EIS 12

Thanks

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I like how light ESET is, but I would like if they made it user-friendly for SUA accounts. If you set the firewall or hips to interactive(even with a few days on learning mode) it can be a little annoying having to type your password on the UAC prompts.

Actually, setting HIPS to interactive without setting learning mode for few days. That's because Interactive asks literally for every action. You want to run CCleaner - you will see few prompts from ESET.
Which is why smart mode would be a far better test. It would be more similar to behavior blocker in that it reacts to specific/suspicious actions.

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I like how light ESET is, but I would like if they made it user-friendly for SUA accounts. If you set the firewall or hips to interactive(even with a few days on learning mode) it can be a little annoying having to type your password on the UAC prompts.

Which is why smart mode would be a far better test. It would be more similar to behavior blocker in that it reacts to specific/suspicious actions.
That's true. Frankly, I have never seen a Smart Mode in action...

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
I enable the PUP. Asked me to enable or disable in installation process. I know about that ;)
as @adnage19 said, there are two types of PUP/PUA. the one optioned on installation process is 'Potentially Unwanted Application' and another PUA is 'Potentially Unsafe Application' which is set on the Advanced Setup > Computer > Antivirus & Antispyware, it will increase the detection dramatically, the Virustotal screenshot shown that ESET detected that threats by this option :)

if I can request VS videos :p ESET vs Kaspersky vs Bitdefender vs Emsisoft :rolleyes::D

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Well I would say that ESET like other AV's always have imperfections when comes on PUP/PUA threats.

For general detection capabilities well same as usual result; however better you watch the video to understand the overall process.
I can't agree, if you enable all PUPs detection options, ESET is one of the best then :)

Reactions: safe1st
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.