App Review F-Secure TOTAL 2024

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The test results showcased in this post are less than optimal, revealing some weaknesses in Avira engine, specifically its weakness in memory scanning and disinfection. Effectiveness in memory scanning relies on precise malware characteristic extraction and detection, which is the area where the Avira engine is not good at.
Yes, I agree and was a little disappointed with the results. I do know there are better options out there, but in my daily routine, where would I have to go, what would I have to do with the precautions I already take, to get malware like that, which AV testers use in their reviews? I also understand it could be a matter of-time type of thing to eventually happen to me, but so far, as of today, I'm not thinking of making any changes...yet ;) :)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Every time there’s an infection in one of these tests there’s people who start saying the sky is falling. It’s entirely possible for an average web surfer they’d never even see the threats that got through because the web protection caught it first. F-Secure still seems legit to me.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Every time there’s an infection in one of these tests there’s people who start saying the sky is falling. It’s entirely possible for an average web surfer they’d never even see the threats that got through because the web protection caught it first. F-Secure still seems legit to me.
No one is claiming F-Secure is not reliable or that its test results are poor in this thread. We’re just acknowledging that no AV product is perfect - they can’t catch all threats. So, while F-Secure does a great job protecting users from most threats, exploring ways it could potentially improve further is also meaningful, I think.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
No one is claiming F-Secure is not reliable or that its test results are poor in this thread. We’re just acknowledging that no AV product is perfect - they can’t catch all threats. So, while F-Secure does a great job protecting users from most threats, exploring ways it could potentially improve further is also meaningful, I think.
That’s a fair assessment.

ShenguiTurmi

Level 3
Well-known
Feb 28, 2023
AVG, Avast and Symantec/Broadcom/NortonLifeLock offer no SDKs for OEMs. The choice is between Kaspersky, Eset and Bitdefender with Eset not being able to supply engines for Mac products. To develop their own engines is possible, perhaps they can do an AI (static analysis one). If they want a full blown engine with emulators, fuzzy signatures and other modern parameters, that may be beyond their investment capabilities.
If they want to do it, they should have an easier time doing it than other manufacturers.
I recently uploaded a large number of virus samples to Triage and Anyrun due to sample collection (I run a sample sharing website of my own). Most of them were marked as black files by F-Secure's cloud within two hours after being uploaded (although it was just the simplest hash blacklist). This can be known by the fact that the virus name ends with !fsmind.
It shows that they have the ability to obtain a large number of virus samples. At this point, it will be much easier for them to make their own engine than other manufacturers who are only OEM without any own technology.

likeastar20

Level 8
Verified
Mar 24, 2016
@Shadowra
`Overall, F-Secure put up a good fight thanks to DeepGuard .
In the end, the machine is certainly infected (the NetOptimiser launched malware via unresponsive PowerShell commands, as well as the presence of the AlteraAgent remote control software), but it can be disinfected without any problem.`

The NetOptimizer sample is interesting. From the VT report, I could see only one detection, which was classified as a PUP. Are you certain it's malicious?

Last edited:

Shadowra

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra
`Overall, F-Secure put up a good fight thanks to DeepGuard .
In the end, the machine is certainly infected (the NetOptimiser launched malware via unresponsive PowerShell commands, as well as the presence of the AlteraAgent remote control software), but it can be disinfected without any problem.`

The NetOptimizer sample is interesting. From the VT report, I could see only one detection, which was classified as a PUP. Are you certain it's malicious?

He was quite malicious :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.