A.I. News Google update reveals Bard AI will read Private Messages

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
There’s understandable excitement that Google is bringing Bard to Messages. A readymade ChatGPT-like UI for a readymade user base of hundreds of millions. “It's an AI assistant,” says Bard, “that can improve your messaging experience… from facilitating communication to enhancing creativity and providing information… it will be your personal AI assistant within your messaging app.”

But Bard will also analyze the private content of messages “to understand the context of your conversations, your tone, and your interests.” It will analyze the sentiment of your messages, “to tailor its responses to your mood and vibe.” And it will “analyze your message history with different contacts to understand your relationship dynamics… to personalize responses based on who you're talking to.”

And so here comes the next privacy battlefield for smartphone owners still coming to terms with app permissions, privacy labels and tracking transparency, and with all those voice AI assistant eavesdropping scandals still fresh in the memory. Google’s challenge will be convincing users that this doesn’t open the door to the same kind of privacy nightmares we’ve seen before, where user content and AI platforms meet.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This article relates to Google adding Bard AI to Google Messages app.

On the privacy front, Google says “Chats with Bard are not end-to-end encrypted”:
They’re used to improve Google services, including the machine-learning models that power Bard. As part of that improvement, trained reviewers need to process your conversations, so when using Bard, don’t enter anything you wouldn’t want a reviewer to see or Google to use. Reviewed data is disconnected from your account and retained for up to 3 years​
Thanks to JEB Decompiler, from which some APK Insight teardowns benefit.
Source: You say 'Allo' and I say 'Bard is coming to Google Messages'

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Google already does it for a decade, but people always act surprised. Time to time it makes news, but a week later, people forget about it.
Google may use my email, chat, and video content to personalize my experience and provide smart features. If I opt out, such features will be turned off.
capture_01282024_170551.jpg

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
If Google want to know what I need at the store, what the price of fuel is around the corner and the current state of my grandson's bowel movements... good luck to them. I hope they find it more interesting than I do...

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Google has assured that all Bard analysis would happen on your device
Because Google AI is kept on everyone's device, lol. Just like ChatGPT. MS has recently even disabled local dictionary in favor of cloud AI, after the incident of Editor leaking passwords. :cautious:

capture_01282024_210715.jpg

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
“Google has assured that all Bard analysis would happen on your device, meaning your messages wouldn't be sent to any servers. Additionally, you would have complete control over what data Bard analyzes and how it uses it.”
Famous last words. That is a quote from Bard btw.

Also from the article
When it is live, think carefully before you unlock your Messages privacy settings. “Ultimately,” says Bard, “the decision of whether to use message analysis rests with you. Carefully weigh the potential benefits against the privacy concerns and make an informed choice based on your own comfort level and expectations.”

The analysis of your message history isn’t the only word of caution here. This deployment of Bard is just part of the shift from browser-based to directed search, and you will need to be increasingly cautious as to the quality of the results you’re being given. Bard isn’t a chat with a friend. It’s a UI sitting across the world’s most powerful and valuable advertising and tracking machine.

On which note, Bard left me with a final thought that might be better directed at its creators than its users: “Remember, you have the right to demand clarity, control, and responsible AI development from the companies you trust with your data.”

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.