Security News Hackers Tear Apart Trend Micro, Find 200 Vulnerabilities In Just 6 Months

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
This report lines up perfectly with what I already thought of Trend Micro. Best Buy convinced me it was the best AV available when I bought my first lab top. It was not!

I will say in their defense I think they do have good URL blocking.

I stopped listening to their recommendations a long time ago. IMHO and from experience it is generally based on: their personal experience, what's on sale or needs to be pushed, the price, and possibly what they see the most repairs on (does Trend-Micro have the highest rate of malware removal at x store, etc).

Yes, of course it's expensive and that's a huge drawback. IMHO - its the release cycle and they even publish it. You have to stay competitive. It took Kaspersky years to build the most Secure OS. I am glad for them - and hope it is as secure as claimed.

Applock- of course you will have the upper hand (no offense at all- I totally support GPO's, software restrictions, etc). The weakest link is the end user. Even us. You have a good product no doubt.

IMHO I would rather not see Norton Internet Security 2017 rush out. Just keep version #'s for 18 months or so per release.

Back to my old saying "Treat your employees well, they will take care of the customers" "Treat your customers well, and they will talk". This = referrals (and good ones that will likely lead to more satisfied users, less support calls, possibly a more positive experience). The ROI could take a few years but its better than

"Does it work, can we patch it later, can we deploy it now and it hold on for most PC's. Ok - RTM!" -Note the sarcasm

I am not in software business. Where I have worked we learned the cost of retaining a current customer vs gaining a new one. Major difference (hundreds to $1000+ to get a new customer).

If you treat your employees poorly, outsource the code and rush a product - well when your clients such as the healthcare industry start getting hit with whatever exploit pack or Ransomware as Norton customers did when ZeroAccess was a major issue 3-5 years ago - that's a huge PR blow. I would be changing companies (yes, no one is perfect). The mandatory regulatory fines for violations of privacy such as this can go up into the $50-100k plus range and that is on the rather low end especially if you get audited. So much for that contract.

Again - just my 2 cents.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.