Guide | How To How To Create a Flash With Back To Factory On It!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Most manufactures these days save a few $$ by not giving you the system restore CD. That is totally ridiculous, but that's the modern world. They do however give you the option to create your own by placing the restore media on a hidden partition on your HD. The hidden partition does not usually have a drive letter and can not be opened. You can however create the back to factory on a flash drive from this partition. I have a Toshiba Lap Top, but I'm sure it's the same procedure on other models. Some manufactures only allow you to create this media one time. Toshiba does not restrict you on this. If your manufacture only allows this one time and the place you purchased your computer gave you the 4-5 CD's, you might not be able to do this procedure. The CD's will be just fine, but are a little hassle as you have to feed them one at a time when restoring your system back to factory and IMHO not as reliable as a flash drive. Once you have created this media you can extend your C drive and use the extra free space, which is what the place where you purchased your computer may have done. If you try to create this media and it has already been created once, you will probably get a message telling you that it is no longer available. You can open disk management and see if the hidden partition is on your HD. The procedure is wizard driven and very simple.
I prefer a PNY Flash as they seem to work better with Toshiba. I have my restore media on a 16GB flash, which is the size you will probably need. In my start menu I have the feature Recover Media Creator. This will open the wizard and the rest is very simple. In the drop down, select USB Flash and that's it.
You now have back to factory on a flash drive. Before you start this procedure, make sure your model can boot from a USB. You can check that out. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ss/bootorderchange.htm
I think I have covered every thing. If yours is different, please post here with the differences. Also check the verify box, if it has one at the bottom. I have attached screen shot of The Toshiba Media Creator and the disk manager.
Capture48.JPG

Capture49.JPG

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi This is what the files will look like on your Recovery USD Flash Drive! If you want to use the Flash drive to restore back to factory, you will need to set your boot order to USB as first choice. Would be a good idea to make sure you can boot with the flash, and then stick it in a drawer until you need it. If you think I have left out any thing or have a question. please ask and I'll try to answer your question!
Capture51.JPG

Reactions: Oxygen and frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi You will see that I have my boot order set to boot from DVD/CD as first choice and my HD as second choice.
I recommend you set yours the same. It may add a few seconds to your restart time, but doubt if you even notice.
You will also see that I do have the option to boot from a USB. I have tested my USB and I can boot with the recovery media that I created,that has back to factory on it. I have several ways to escape a disaster and I hope you do also. I also have the 5 CD's with back to factory.
I also have several images of my OS on a external drive that I created with Macrium Reflet
I'm not bullet prof, but I'm pretty dang close to it!
Capture48.JPG

Reactions: Oxygen and frogboy
I

illumination

@donetao has the right idea.. Being secure is good, but other factors can lead to problems, such as hardware failure.. Having multiple back up solutions is ideal, should one of those fail over time, you have the other.. I can not stress having back up solutions enough to the people in my area.. It is the best defense period..

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
I can confirm that with Toshiba, making the Backup Media tends to work best using USB. I used DVD's (bad idea). My brother had to order the backup media. They came on USB drives. They worked fine. If you make your own, I read people have had issues getting Kingston drives to work (particularly DataTraveler).

Reactions: frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.