Guide | How To How To Get A Legit Copy Of Windows7!

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Does your PC fail to start Windows and you know your hardware is good? Then you probably have a corrupted OS.If you were lazy and didn't create the recovery media, like you were told to do.
All is not lost if you have the 25 digit license key, you can get a legit copy of W7 from digital river.
Yes it's legit. You can then try to repair your OS or install back to factory. If you can't repair your PC with the digital river CD, you may want to try restoring back to factory with the hidden recovery partition first, if it isn't corrupted. Recovery to factory with the hidden partition is different for each manufacture. You can find out how by Goggling your model.
Here's the link explaining where to get your W7 copy and how to use it to get you back up and running again, and it's all free. I suggest you at least get the internet driver first, so you can go on line and get other drivers you might need. Always remember to install the chipset driver first when doing a new install.
If your reading this thread and haven't created a back up image of your OS and haven't created the recovery media, now would be a good time to do that. Then you won't need this thread.;)
If this thread has already been posted; sorry I couldn't find it.:rolleyes: I hope someone finds this thread helpful.
Do a Repair installation if:
  • A System Restore did not help fix your Windows 7.
  • There is no other easier option left that can fix your Windows 7.
  • You DO NOT want to do a Clean reinstall of Windows 7.
  • You DO want to preserve your user accounts, data, programs, and system drivers.
Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks tonibalas! I was hoping for more comments on this subject. I guess all our members have a legit restore CD ; or maybe even better: they have created a image of their OS with Macrium Reflect.;);)or at least burned the recovery media to a USB. I have done all the above!!!
I try hard on MT. Some times my tips go over big and some times not so big. This one not so big!!:rolleyes:

Reactions: tonibalas and Ali80

echo1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 18, 2014
Thanks tonibalas! I was hoping for more comments on this subject. I guess all our members have a legit restore CD ; or maybe even better: they have created a image of their OS with Macrium Reflect.;);)or at least burned the recovery media to a USB. I have done all the above!!!
I try hard on MT. Some times my tips go over big and some times not so big. This one not so big!!:rolleyes:
Well, I for one have been lazy and have not created a backup image of my OS (Win7) and I appreciate your post. I will do so, NOW!!!

Many thanks.........

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Well, I for one have been lazy and have not created a backup image of my OS (Win7) and I appreciate your post. I will do so, NOW!!!

Many thanks.........
Hi you are very welcome! It is very easy to do with the windows back up feature. I prefer Macrium Reflect ,but thw windows will be a good start!
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-programs-system-settings-files#1TC=windows-7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7

Good tip @donetao :) I always make a backup CD...however, i did not experience any problems - BSOD since I started using Windows 7.
Any back up is good. I prefer using a external HD. IMHO it is more reliable than a CD or DVD. BSOD are different from a total HD failure.
Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Keep your replies coming. Thanks everyone for your comments. I would be a very happy camper if I could get all our members to create back up images of their OS regularly!
As mentioned, I prefer Macrium Reflect. I use the free version. I have been using it for 10 years and it has recused my arse many times.
Paragon and many others are also good. Find one you like and trust and back up your OS on a regular basis. It will save you a lot of grief and worry. Macrium Reflect is very user friendly. Here's a link! Give it a read. Don't wait another day without creating a back up image of your OS
I guarantee you will be glad you did one day!!
http://www.macrium.com/help.aspx

Reactions: frogboy

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I guess we are getting a little off subject, but I get really excited when I get people interested in creating a back up image of their OS.
Here's a link about Macrium Reflect. I'm lazy so I'll let this link show you how easy it is to use. A little more effort than the back up feature provided by W7, but also a lot more options.(Like mounting the image and copying and pasting );)
PS If you decide to down load Macrium Reflect, please use this preferred site as it is free of the unpopular PUPS. I hate PUPS.
http://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7363/macrium-reflect-is-a-free-and-easy-to-use-backup-utility/

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Let's all gang up on all MT members that haven't created a back up image of their OS and shame them to do so immediately:);).
Tomorrow could be to late even if you just took it out of the box:eek:
DO IT NOW!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Why not just go out and buy a copy from Harvey Norman, Joyce Mayne? Or just your local computer shop?

Reactions: tonibalas

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Why not just go out and buy a copy from Harvey Norman, Joyce Mayne? Or just your local computer shop?
Why would I buy some thing I already paid for. If you have the 25 digit key, you already paid for it once. Digital rivers is a site where you can obtain a copy if you misplaced yours. If you don't have the key, then you can buy one from Harvey or Joyce.
Who are Harvey and Joyce???o_Oo_O

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
donetao your thread is very helpful.
I just want to tell you that i haven't done a back up because my hard driver is failing and i want to buy a new one.
All important files are stored in USB flash drive.Most software on my system are free so no problem there.
Also i have a Windows 7 copy on a CD so i can do clean install.
You will ask me why do a clean install when the thread is about how to avoid that:confused:o_O:p?
Because last year i wasn't paying attention what i was clicking and i messed up my Windows:eek::p:D.
When i will change the hard drive and install Windows i most certainly use a back up software
so i can solve any problem that i will face;).
Off topic: is this HDD good for my 6 years old laptop or should i conider buying an SSD?
HGST TRAVELSTAR Z7K500 HTS725050A7E630 500GB SATA3
but i have SATA2?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I have created back up media for all PC's in my household and make new backups every two days. I find i need regular backups as i seem to make many mistakes in my learning curve and need to restore on a regular basis. :D:D

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi tonibalas! I'm not very good at recommending hardware. I'm a software person. SSD are much faster, but they are also more expensive.
IMHO you don't need a large HD for your operating system. I have 500GB and only use about 20%. I have a external HD 1TB. That's where I store all my back ups and other data. Keeping important data on your working drive can be risky if your HD becomes toasted.However, usually if your HD will spin up you can recover your data. I have all the ways possible to restore my OS. I have DVD's and a USB with back to factory. I have at least 6 back up images on my external drive. Once you have all these, you can delete the hidden back to factory partition on your C drive. Format it and it and extend it and use the extra space if you really think you need it. I just leave the hidden partition and then I have another source to restore my PC. I like Macrium Reflect for my 3rd party back up, but there are several free versions on the web!
Good luck with your clean install. I'm sure it will go smooth!
Be sure you get a HD at least the same size or larger or you may have problems. Also switching to SSD may require different procedures.
I don't know that for sure. Maybe another member here on MT can help you with that when you get ready.
Thank you for your reply!

echo1

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 18, 2014
Donetao... Just to let you know, I have my backup (as promised) stored on an external HDD and I also have an ISO image of my OS stored there as well. Thanks again for the posts. Very helpful!!!!! :):):):):)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Donetao... Just to let you know, I have my backup (as promised) stored on an external HDD and I also have an ISO image of my OS stored there as well. Thanks again for the posts. Very helpful!!!!! :):):):):)
Good for you! I'm proud of you. You can now rest just a little more easily knowing you can recover from just about any thing in just a few minutes
And that includes a failed HD. Slap in a new HD equal to or larger in size and you're back in business my friend.
Good for you! Now pass on your knowledge to your friends here at MT every where!;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.