Guide | How To How to uninstall and remove Cortana in Windows 10

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
A

antreas

Thread author
Microsoft added a digital assistant in Windows 10 called Cortana which can recognise your voice and do some things for you like giving you information or automating some tasks. But while it is nice to have for fun, it is far from being a seriously useful, powerful tool compared to what you can do by manually searching the web. Not every user finds Cortana useful. Many users are looking for a way to remove it, but Microsoft does not allow uninstalling Cortana in Windows 10. In this article, we will see how it can be done.

I use it i restart and cortana is not in task manager any more :)
Caution! But it will disable search fuction!

link

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
trust me, do not delete cortana folder
if this just uninstalls cortana, it's OK but if it deletes the folder, it will break start menu. It's severe and annoying

I tried to do it manually once and I had to reinstall my windows to make it stable again

we can use ooshutup to disable cortana and use process lasso to terminate (disallow) searchUI.exe

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have been doing this from the start,
this lil cheap piece of software puts your search back and in
awesome fashion: Start10: Software from Stardock Corporation
I paid 5 bucks for it on sale, I think it ranges from 5 to 10 bucks.
I gladly paid, and would pay more if I had to, to be rid of Cortana.
It has many customizations and Start menu options like Win 7,
Metro, Win10 ect, with many ways to fine tune your look.
I like the "Modern Style" the best, it's a good option. I have many SS
around here where my start is in the SS, and that's the Modern selection.

Last edited:

Sundaram999

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 11, 2014
trust me, do not delete cortana folder
if this just uninstalls cortana, it's OK but if it deletes the folder, it will break start menu. It's severe and annoying

I tried to do it manually once and I had to reinstall my windows to make it stable again

we can use ooshutup to disable cortana and use process lasso to terminate (disallow) searchUI.exe

I agree with this opinion

Microsoft added a digital assistant in Windows 10 called Cortana which can recognise your voice and do some things for you like giving you information or automating some tasks. But while it is nice to have for fun, it is far from being a seriously useful, powerful tool compared to what you can do by manually searching the web. Not every user finds Cortana useful. Many users are looking for a way to remove it, but Microsoft does not allow uninstalling Cortana in Windows 10. In this article, we will see how it can be done.

I use it i restart and cortana is not in task manager any more :)
Caution! But it will disable search fuction!

link

Thanks for share! But...must be careful with this

Last edited by a moderator:

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I don't use Cortana and search function and this tool is perfect. I have been using it many times and never had any problems. It doesn't break any other components.

Reactions: AtlBo

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Don't use Cortona but I just find trying to disable every single thing you hate about something a waste of time IMO. In the end your computer just gets cluttered with "tools"

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
if it deletes the folder, it will break start menu. It's severe and annoying
You can fix it by restarting "ShellExperienceHost.exe" process.

To automate it, create a startup task to terminate it and delay it to run after one minute.

Attachments

• capture_05132017_233910.jpg
    capture_05132017_233910.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 576

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I used O&O Shutup 10 to disable Cortana, by keeping the search box.
Ok Cortana's process still lives in my RAM but this did not bother me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.