It’s not just Gmail, Apple will delete your inactive iCloud account faster than Google

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
People are upset with Google this week over a change in its policy. While the company previously let people open and keep accounts forever, starting in December, an account that “has not been used or signed into for at least 2 years” may be deleted.

Google says it will send multiple notifications over the months leading up to account deletion to both the account email address and the recovery email to make sure the person has a chance to log in and save their account. Once deleted, accounts will not be recycled and the email address will remain out of circulation.

It might seem like a drastic change, but it’s not unreasonable. Nor is it out of step with what Apple does. In fact, Apple will delete an inactive account a lot quicker than Google will and seemingly with less warning. Here’s what Apple says in its iCloud terms:

In addition, Apple may terminate your Account upon 30 days’ prior notice via email to the address associated with your Account if (a) your Account has been inactive for one (1) year; or (b) there is a general discontinuance of the Service or any part thereof.

Apple explains that terminated accounts “may lose all access to the Service and any portions thereof, including, but not limited to, your Account, Apple ID, email account, and Content. In addition, after a period of time, Apple will delete information and data stored in or as a part of your account(s). Any individual components of the Service that you may have used subject to separate software license agreements will also be terminated in accordance with those license agreements.”

There are several reports on Apple’s forums of Apple following through on this threat, so if you have an older Apple ID, it’s best to log in every few months to make sure Apple won’t delete it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

If you're inactive in Google Photos for 2 or more years, or if you're out of storage, your Photos content may be deleted.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
When I first started using Apple stuff I would forget login details and ended up creating several Apple ID's which, over the years, caused multiple problems for me so I'm rather happy they delete older stuff. I haven't had a problem for years.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When I first started using Apple stuff I would forget login details and ended up creating several Apple ID's which, over the years, caused multiple problems for me so I'm rather happy they delete older stuff. I haven't had a problem for years.
me too had some sort of AppleID cross-contamination with my son's, finally got it sorted out...

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
OK sure delete the inactive accounts that's fine but are they going to let people re-register those deleted accounts usernames?

If they are then it's bad news and will cause serious problems but if the inactive accounts stay deleted, then that's good.

Reactions: simmerskool

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
… ended up creating several Apple ID’s which, over the years, caused multiple problems for me.
I have a very old apple account when I was using the 4e then but not using now.
If you know the login details, you can do it yourself. Go to Data & Privacy and Delete your account.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 12.20.18.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.