App Review Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 (MAX setting) Prevention and detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
for me, KIS is the best. Those 3 are not good enough as I observed them in malwarehub tests
However, KIS may be a bit heavy when I tweak it and if I further tweak it, it may annoy me rather than protecting
I know some settings which can reduce the heaviness of KIS but it's still heavy compared my current setup

I'm using Avast free fully tweaked with hardened mode aggressive + voodooshield pro (tweaked)
avast may be not as good as KIS in some cases but I fulfill the missing thing with voodooshield
now my laptop is blazing fast, task manager and real feel. Battery life is better, ram, HDD i/o, cpu usage are much less compared to KIS alone.
If I use KIS, I should change the rule into highly restricted or untrusted. When I wanna allow something, it takes 15 seconds or more to do so. this bugs me a lot

as MT members, we should find out best COMBOs, not our best AVs :D
another good recommendation is comodo but it's not for everyone. It might be best tool but can be the worst if we don't know how to use it. That's why I don't use comodo

they are very good
but I don't trust both of them, personally, not protection wise. Blacklisted
Thanks

Just one question.

Can Avast + VS handles malware like program set up files?

I think not because I have both free version (Avast in hardened aggressive mode) now and when I went to malc0de to test some of them just got downloaded and installed without being blocked.

Even AppGuard in Protected mode did nothing.

I believe those set up programs are legitimate and that's why they are not blocked but flagged as malware in malc0de......for some reason. They can't be PUP either otherwise Avast would have blocked them.

Whether we are choosing the best AV or the best combo the aim is to get the best protection. If you don't believe in the best 5 (BD, EIS, ESET, KIS and Norton) which I have listed then best combo of others would not give the best protection, right? Are you choosing for best protection or for best performance?

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks

Just one question.

Can Avast + VS handles malware like program set up files?

I think not because I have both free version (Avast in hardened aggressive mode) and when I went to malc0de to test some of them just got downloaded and installed without being blocked.

Even AppGuard in Protected mode did nothing.

I believe those set up programs are legitimate and that's why they are not blocked but flagged as malware in malc0de......for some reason. They can't be PUP either otherwise Avast would have block them.
those setup files are likely to be PUPs which are not a strong point of most AVs. KIS and avast are pretty weak against PUPs I have seen for years. I have rarely seen avast blocking PUPs although PUP detection is checked. MBAM and zemana are kings against PUPs. may be unchecky/reasoncore
VS is able to scan the files via Ai and virustotal so it may help help you to decide but if the file is >25Mb if Im not mistaken, VT scanner won't work

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
those setup files are likely to be PUPs which are not a strong point of most AVs. KIS and avast are pretty weak against PUPs I have seen for years. I have rarely seen avast blocking PUPs although PUP detection is checked. MBAM and zemana are kings against PUPs. may be unchecky/reasoncore
VS is able to scan the files via Ai and virustotal so it may help help you to decide but if the file is >25Mb if Im not mistaken, VT scanner won't work
So will you be paying for MBAM/ZAM or getting the free version? If the latter then we are only taking remedial action rather than prevention, right?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
So will you be paying for MBAM/ZAM or getting the free version? If the latter then we are only taking remedial action rather than prevention, right?
I use ZAM portable free and MBAM free, adwcleaner to get rid of PUPs when needed. Usually PUPs are just annoying, they don't break PC like other kinds of malware. Yes, remedial action. It's not easy to prevent against PUPs unless you suspect and sandbox them
I don't pay for anything in my PC. I just use free alternatives

Whether we are choosing the best AV or the best combo the aim is to get the best protection. If you don't believe in the best 5 (BD, EIS, ESET, KIS and Norton) which I have listed then best combo of others would not give the best protection, right? Are you choosing for best protection or for best performance?
my definition of best combo: balance between protection and performance + protection is suitable for user type
for example, I probably never have access to ransomwares and zero-day malwares. I mostly deal with very old malwares coming from USB or websites -> even signature-based offline protection is enough for me
my personal best combo: performance & productivity > protection

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
First, Kaspersky not able to detect it while other well-known antivirus able detect it. Look at virustotal result.
Then... if i tweak further settings... then how about medium users or beginner get secured by Kaspersky?

In this video, i change 3 things.
Maximum security level, then Detect other software that can be used by criminals to damage your computer or personal data
And action on detection to "Delete"

thank you guys :)
have a great Sunday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.