Troubleshoot Loud fan noise when turning on Laptop

Can't Decide

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 15, 2023
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Loud fan noise (Should be fan noise) can be heard after turning on laptop and within minutes it just shut down by itself with no warning.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Checked SSD using Samsung Magician, no issue. Checked Event logs, no caused only appeared PC was not shut down properly critcal.
Your current Antivirus
Configure Defender
This happened months back, when turning on laptop during or after sign-in windows the fan start to spin very fast as loud noise can be heard and within minutes it suddenly shut down by itself after shut down, I of cause turn back on again and it boots into system repair but it repair failed. But after that it reboots back to normal and I ignored it. But after few weeks it happen again once and I wait a few minutes before turning back on it just boots normally and no problem about this issue for about few months until today it happened again, it always come with loud fan noise within minutes of turning on after or during signing in and it shut down suddenly by itself.

I don't think is heat problem because I always shut down when not in use and Fast Startuup was disabled.
Anyone know what cause these problem? And any advice on what should I do?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Based on the symptoms you described, it is possible that the loud fan noise and sudden shutdown of your laptop could be caused by a hardware issue. Here are a few potential causes and steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:

1. Dust and debris: Over time, dust and debris can accumulate inside the laptop, causing the fan to work harder to cool the system. This can lead to increased noise and potentially overheating. To address this, you can try cleaning the vents and fan using compressed air or a soft brush.

2. Faulty fan or cooling system: If cleaning the laptop doesn't resolve the issue, it's possible that the fan or cooling system itself is faulty. In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer or a professional technician to have it repaired or replaced.

3. Software issues: Occasionally, software conflicts or driver problems can cause the fan to run at high speeds. To rule out this possibility, you can try updating your laptop's BIOS and drivers to the latest versions. You can also check the Task Manager to see if any particular programs or processes are causing high CPU usage, which could be triggering the fan to spin faster.

4. Power settings: It's worth checking your laptop's power settings to ensure that they are not causing the fan to run at maximum speed. You can adjust the power plan settings in the Control Panel or the Windows Settings app to see if that makes a difference.

5. Hardware failure: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible that there is a hardware failure, such as a faulty motherboard or power supply. In this case, it would be best to seek professional assistance to diagnose and repair the problem.

It's important to note that diagnosing and repairing hardware issues can be complex, and it's always recommended to seek professional help if you are unsure or uncomfortable performing the troubleshooting steps yourself.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So you have laptop and you do not even know what mfr and model is? lol

Aftershock is known to be an unreliable brand. Next is you think you have a 6 year old laptop. At that age many laptops begin to have issues.

Maybe you should contact Aftershock? You think that maybe this is the more logical starting place as opposed to being lazy and posting this matter at MT? How do you expect anybody to help you here? When it comes to hardware issues, those need to be diagnosed in-person. This is common sense, but here at MT common sense is quite rare.
He was just asking for help, there's no need to be rude. I presume he was stating that he was unsure of the year, rather than model of the laptop. If you think it's best for the issue to be diagnosed in person, which may be the best option, it would have been better if you left it at that, rather then telling the original poster off.

Upvote 0

jolt2

Jul 25, 2022
Can you boot into the BIOS screen? Most BIOS will have a screen that will show the temps of the hardware. What temps are shown for the hardware in the BIOS. It sounds like something is over heating and the system BIOS is shutting it down to protect the system. At least the BIOS thinks it is overheating. At 6 years old, hardware failures can be expected.

Upvote 0

Can't Decide

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 15, 2023
He was just asking for help, there's no need to be rude. I presume he was stating that he was unsure of the year, rather than model of the laptop. If you think it's best for the issue to be diagnosed in person, which may be the best option, it would have been better if you left it at that, rather then telling the original poster off.
Thank you for helping me. Yes, that's the year rather than the model of the laptop.

Can you boot into the BIOS screen? Most BIOS will have a screen that will show the temps of the hardware. What temps are shown for the hardware in the BIOS. It sounds like something is over heating and the system BIOS is shutting it down to protect the system. At least the BIOS thinks it is overheating. At 6 years old, hardware failures can be expected.
Thank you for the advice, I will check the BIOS.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.