Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit - How good really is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
$25, not a big deal though it never detected any exploit my side I'm using free version -_-
May be because freeware one gives nothing.
Have it ever blocked any exploit your side?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit is best anti-exploit blocker on the market. Do you need it?? It depends!! If you use for ex. Eset or Kaspersky or some other well reputable security software that have exploit shield then you don't need it. If your security software does not include exploit shield and you use Java or some PDF-s you need it :) It is light on resources and you can use it without any problems in combination with MSE (tested)..in that case it's worth the money and will improve your security.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
$25, not a big deal though it never detected any exploit my side I'm using free version -_-
May be because freeware one gives nothing.
Have it ever blocked any exploit your side?

Well encountering exploits in daily browsing may produce little chance especially on common websites however when testing from blacklisted websites then surely it will detect those.

@Tony Cole: Well if you think going to some website where Java and PDF reader is always use besides to Flash Player. ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Tony, I've wondered the same thing as we've used their free version on all three of our computers at home, though not witnessed it at work. This should be a good thing, right?:) Well, I'd come across a test (I think it was official..) which set up a mock situation and it worked fine! I was looking to share it, but couldn't find it. The bottom line is, even with ESET NOD 32 on our Windows 7, we installed it there on that system too!;)

If you've not seen this page, here's all that the premium Anti-Exploit does their free version does not (as Ali80 has essentially said):

Screenshot.png

Edit: @Tony Cole , here is the Test download Hanmin147 mentioned below.:)

Last edited:

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
even I have Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium License, perhaps they should consider a single PC license too!. anyway coming to the point even I have not had any detections of any exploits from the software.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Using the free version, so far haven't run into any exploits (or it hasn't detected any), but if you want to see it work you can download the malwarebytes anti-exploit test where they try to exploit the calculator application and it would clearly state that an exploit has been blocked if you have enabled it. Don't really know how else to test the effectiveness of it, maybe by going to virus databases and looking for sites they deem exploits and try to run them?

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
You cannot test it for yourself, period. In my opinion with KIS it is unnecessary. KIS has so many layers and its Automatic Exploit Prevention is only one of them. Aside from that it actually takes more effort to make your computer vulnerable for exploits than to keep it up to date.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
In order to know whether you need a anti exploit security application, one needs to understand what a exploit really is.
In todays market users are being spammed with: You need anti this and anti that.
While generally users do just need a allround protection, most of these scare marketing tactics are just generated to generate money.
Does that mean that everything said is bull? Hell no.
Exploits and zero day attack (which is almost the same) are a really serious danger that can and will penetrate your system, if you do not maintain 5 basic principals.

1: Run a legit & updated OS.
2: Run legit updated software.
3: Run a internet security solution and act upon "security" warnings given.
4: If a warning is given and you do not know what to do? Use google.
5: Only download software from verified sources (preferably the developers or companies homepage)

If you follow the above very basic steps, then 8 out of 10 exploits will not reach you.
Often ISP companies and security companies do discover a exploit that potentially could affect millions, yet in most cases ISP companies will filter the "malicious" cullprit within 36 hours from their networks till a patch is available that will fix the security problem on a OS level. Which means that usually you only have to survive lets say 1 week (to be on the safe side) and imo a Internet Security Solution like: Kaspersky, Norton, Sophos, Eset (just to name a few) will do their job just fine specially if you honour the 5 above steps.

So what is a exploit?
An exploit or zero day is an attack on a computer system, usually one that takes advantage of a particular vulnerability that the system offers to intruders.
This either can be software related security flaws or even hardware flaws creators and discoverers take pride in keeping tabs of such exploits and post their exploits (and discovered vulnerabilities) on a Web site to share with others.
Where an exploit takes advantage of a weakness in an operating system or vended application program, the owners of the system or application issue a "fix" or patch in response. Usually patches are being released by a update function within the program, or being distrubuted by security software like your internet security solution.

With the above in mind, i venture to say that the general computer user does not need a dedicated tool to detect these malicious problems, as your internet security application in most cases got it already covered. Another very important factor is that these exploits and zero day attacks in 7 out of 10 times do need user actions before they can attack the system in the first place.

I hope this helps.

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I have the free version. Why would MBAB put out a worthless program for free?
I'm not smart enough to know all that stuff but I have been a MBAM fan for nearly 10 years and I trust them.
Any layer of protection I can get for free sounds like a deal to me.
I have been running MBAB Pro for years. MBAM blocked over 720 Chinese incoming IP's. MBAB is my friend!!
I run MSE and MBAM Pro in real time. I have never had a virus. I just recently added Malwarebytes Anti-exploit.
Thanks MBAM!

Ali80

Level 5
Verified
Nov 13, 2014
You have free and paid versions. Free will protect your Browser - Flash Player as active X or plugin and most importantly it will protect you against Java exploits. Paid will protect all mentioned above + Adobe and Foxit PDF Readers, Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and some Media players.

Last edited:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
You have free and paid versions. Free will protect your Browser - Flash Player as active X or plugin and most importantly it will protect you against Java exploits. Paid will protect all mentioned above + Adobe and Foxit PDF Readers, Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and some Media players.
Additionally the paid version also allows you to add custom shields.

Vipersd

Level 6
Verified
Dec 14, 2014
Does it protect you from Facebook scourge in term of preventing infestation by clicking on shady video clips and such monstrosities on FB? :D

My brother in law done it two times in one month, I'm tired of cleaning his PC! :mad:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Does it protect you from Facebook scourge in term of preventing infestation by clicking on shady video clips and such monstrosities on FB? :D

My brother in law done it two times in one month, I'm tired of cleaning his PC! :mad:

In answer to your question I've quoted @Ali80 where the bold/underlined applies (imho) to the protection your brother-in-law may need:

Reactions: frogboy and donetao
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.